“Solid Downtown Lunch Spot”

Pura Vida by Brandt
Ranked #77 of 1,918 Restaurants in Cleveland
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ontario
Transit: Euclid Coridor located across the street.
Description: Pura Vida by Brandt is a scratch made, locally sourced restaurant in the heart of Public Square. We offer lunch, dinner and take out. We feature local meats, fresh seafood as well as vegan/vegetarian options. We are exceptional in handling any allergy or dietary needs.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This is a go-to for lunchtime. Food is solid, but creative. Make sure to listen to the lunch box special. I also like the African stew.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

There aren’t many restaurants with vegan options, so this one peaked our interest. They have so much potential, but the menu didn’t offer much variety. We ordered the nachos and were disappointed by how few tomatoes and/ or salsa was on the chips. The cheese sauce was ok, but was a bit too runny for nachos. They were edible, but weren’t anything we would go back for. The dinners (salmon for the non-vegetarian and the veggie Big Mac) weren’t anything special.

Reviewed 30 January 2018

I have often walked past this place, and wondered what it was about. This past weekend, we decided to give it a try, and so glad we did! Although I am not a practicing vegetarian, sometimes I like to have a meal without meat. Pura Vida definitely provides amazing options for that desire. I had a Samosa style burrito with curried cauliflower, potatoes and peas wrapped in a burrito that was thin and so shatteringly crispy that I couldn't stop eating the huge portion even though I was full! There was just enough spiciness to make it a thoroughly warming dish! A side of roasted Brussel sprouts hit the spot...with just enough smoky carmelization to make them disappear quickly! My hubby had a smoked trout sandwich...so there are a few fish and meat dishes too. The location has a very airy, chic modern décor. It really should be busier than it is. I would recommend it for healthy eating as well.

1  Thank wildtiger81
Reviewed 8 December 2017

Had the Israeli couscous salad and it was awesome. Perfectly proportioned and that's so hard to find. Tender, perfectly cooked couscous, succulent golden beets, crisp greens, radish slices, the perfect amount of a really delicious dressing, and the star of the show; smoked trout that was to die for.

Awesome salad, spot on service, I'll be back next time I'm in "The Land" to try the chicken-fried cauliflower...

1  Thank Mike J
Reviewed 1 December 2017

We used to love coming to Pura Vida because they offer a lot of options for vegans and vegetarians. The last few times we've visited, we've noticed a decrease in customers and food quality. Last night we were 3 of only 7 diners in the restaurant at 6:30 pm. For starters, we ordered the chickpea jar (hummus, ricotta, blistered tomatoes served in a small jar with grilled bread.) It was delicious as always. The vegan nachos were not so good. A ton of chips were topped with a few beans and tomatoes, a small amount of vegan cheese sauce and a big dollop of browning guacamole. The falafel bowl was served with 2 large fried falafel patties, which were dry and unappetizing. They were served over couscous, which was bland. There was a small amount of tzatziki sauce on top, and when I asked for more, I could tell it was just tartar sauce. The meat eaters in the group both had a burger, which they liked. It's disappointing that this restaurant used to be special for vegetarians, but now, they don't seem to be trying. Also, we asked our server, who was very good, the origin of the name Pura Vida. She said it was "Costa Rican for Pure Life." They speak Spanish in Costa Rica.