“Great overall, but there are some "but"s...”

Comfort Inn Downtown
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Prague
“Great overall, but there are some "but"s...”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Rooms were clean, staff was very nice.
-Front desk: The ladies were okay, but the manager was simply awesome. Very friendly guy, really helpful. 5 stars for him!
-To be honest, the location isnt so good. Its close to the city center by walk, and there is public transport stop right next to the hotel, but overall, the neighbourhood is quite dangerous (according to locals). Also, there were quite a lot of homeless guys outside (which i dont mind, i always gave them a buck or two).
-Personally, i had problems with breakfasts. I hate sweet breakfasts, and everything was sweet there. Pancakes, waffles, donuts... I've ended up eating just a bread with butter every morning. No cheese, no ham, no salami. Coffee is very nice here though!
-2nd quite big problem was with smoking. I knew my room was non-smoking, i wouldnt smoke in my room anyway. I was hoping there would be some smokers space in lobby or something. No. You have to go outside of the hotel to smoke a ciggarette.
-Price: I am personally working at front desk in 5 star hotel in europe, and our price is 130$ per night at this time of year. But you pay 116$ (with taxes) for a night in 2 star here. I think the price of this hotel should be 20-30$ per night lower. Thats why i rate value only 2/5.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank templarjee
daysinnrichfield, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
I want to let you know I appreciate your kind words about the hotel and its staff. I also want you to know I take your other comments very seriously and will be looking into some other ideas for the breakfast. Location is not something I can change and the pan handlers outside are something that we try to control daily. They really are harmless. I too like to have a smoke occasionally and our hotel is completely non-smoking. I hope if you visit Cleveland again you will give us another chance to make your stay an enjoyable one.

Asst. GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
Illinois
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Everyone we spoke to during our stay was quite nice and accommodating. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We were there over St Patrick's day and the hotel kept pretty good security. Not only did you have to scan your room card to get into the building, but you also had to show them your wristband that was given at check in. The location was great for what we were in town for, but it is a little over a mile walk to the lake. There are a few places to eat nearby, the pizza place in the same building has some good deals and their pizza is pretty good. If you need a convenience store there was only one we found in the area, about a half a block east of the hotel. There is a guy that hangs out there that seems to have made himself the hype man. He seems harmless, but be prepared to have him ask you many questions like "What do you know about that?" regarding just about anything and have him follow you through the store. There is a paid parking lot behind the hotel and the rates were not bad and included in the hotel bill. The only issue I had was getting the price of my stay to match what I was told by phone. I found this out at initial check in and was told to talk to the manager the next day. He was understanding about this and asked a number of questions, but never gave me an attitude or argued with me. This would be the hotel I stay at if I ever go back to Cleveland.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SMO23
I want to tell you I know who your speaking of at the store next door and he is quite a character. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us ad we look forward to having you back again in the near future. St. Patty's day is always a busy time and we want everyone to feel safe. Some folks don't like the wristbands but it avoids guest from renting a room to have a wild party with 20 friends and that is why we use them. I thank you for understanding. Please come visit us again. the Indiams are doing great and there is nothing like a day at the ballpark.

Mayfield, Kentucky
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The Comfort Inn downtown couldn't have been better. Free shuttle to & from Cleveland Clinic, full breakfast, clean rooms and helpful staff. Especially enjoyed our van drivers!! When you are under extreme stress with someone in ICU, it helps not to have to worry about getting to and from the Clinic. Also very helpful to have washer and dryer on our floor at very reasonable prices when you come during an emergency with only a couple of outfits and stay 10 days. Why pay over $225.00 per night when this Comfort Inn has more than you need for $72.00 per night. The $225.00 hotel charged $16.00 for breakfast and Comfort Inn is free. We three sisters took turns staying overnight at the Clinic on their loveseats so 2 out of 3 nights, at least we got a good nights sleep. Thanks again to the staff and Drivers!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MaryLouBougher
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our hotel. We are happy that we could be here to assist you and your sisters through this difficult time. We hope that your family is doing well and that everything has gone well for your family member visiting the clinic.

Cortland, New York
Reviewed 24 January 2012

The hotel front desk people are very helpful and courteous. Rooms are clean and really a wonderful place to live. The location is wonderful and have 3 restaurants (pizza, subway and Mexican food) on site. Walking distance from a mall and provides free shuttle service to and from the Cleveland Clinic which is really helpful. The full breakfast was yummy.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank RoshniPatel
daysinnrichfield, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Miss Patel,

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your stay here at the Comfort Inn. We are happy that you were able to enjoy it. If you ever make your way back through Cleveland please stop and see us again.

Keyser WV
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Maybe it's because I'm 40ish, but I love the nostalgic elevators. During my last trip for my Cleveland Clinic appointments, one elevator had been freshly varnish. We have always had excellent service, and the staff wonderful. We have always been met with a smile, and always within 15 minutes of getting to our room we receive a phone call from the desk making sure everything is okay.

Last time we stayed, the breakfast area had been moved into an adjoining room giving more seating space. They had added to the breakfast food list, we always fixed our plates and took them back to our room because we had a children with us and we respected the Hotel Guests. Our 9 year old would have been fine to sit with us and dine, but our active 3 year old and baby girl would have had a hard time sitting still. We thank everyone on staff for understanding that we had multiple children and for trusting that we only took enough breakfast for one plate each.

The rooms are always clean, in the past there had been complaints about a hall odor, we can confirm that it is not the hotel, it truly is the bread from Subway. We thought it smelled delicious, but understand that everyone has their own taste in smells. Although we were not in a room in the area of baking, we did walk through the hallway to smell it. My husband said it made him hungry, lol... he loves the smell of fresh baking bread.

I have health issues that has the potential to take my life, and I will be at Cleveland Clinic the rest of my life. I hope Comfort Inn stays the same, it's nice to be able to have room and lodging plus transportation. It's stressful enough to deal with ongoing medical issues, and having a wonderful hotel who helps make the trip with our family easier is #1 in our books.

Someone in the past also had complained about the ice machine being out... we found during our stays that it's just mostly being out due to use. Depending on occupants we only went one floor down one time. When we do our laundry, we only do one load at a time at different times so to not tie up the laundry machines.

We feel nothing but good about Comfort Inn Downtown... there are many upscale hotels in the area that offer alot, but in our current economy if you want a hotel where your warmly welcomed, and excellent prices, Comfort Inn fits the bill.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again in about 4 weeks.

Thank you.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dorothy B
daysinnrichfield, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Thank you so very much for all your kind words and I would like to wish you and your family a Happy New Year. We here at the Comfort Inn know first hand how hard it can be to have to go through situations such as yours. Some of us here have had family members that have gone through long stays in the hospitals and it helps to know there is somewhere you can go that can give you a sense of security when you are away from home and that is what we try to provide here at The Comfort Inn. If there is ever anything you need while staying with us please feel free to let us know. Although your not coming back for matters of enjoyment I look forward to seeing you again. God Bless you and your family.