“Pleasant plae to catch up with (adult) grandkids”
Review of The Barker Hotel

The Barker Hotel
Ranked #3 of 46 Restaurants in Mount Barker
Price range: USD 11 - USD 35
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Australian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Barker Hotel is a hotel for everyone, young and old! Whether you are after traditional pub-grub or something a little bit more fancy, The Barker Hotel has the perfect dish for you! Take advantage of our weekly food specials, monthly drink specials and live entertainment. Mondays: Gourmet Pie Day $16.90 Tuesdays: Schnitzel Day from $13.90 Wednesdays: Bump-day Burgers from $15.90 & family Magician 6-8pm Thursdays: Steak Day from $18.90 & Quizmeisters Quiz Night from 7.30pm Fridays: DJ from 9.30pm Saturdays: Live entertainment from 8.30pm All day dining Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Reviewed 22 October 2018

Easygoing, spacious, good choices. My pie was tasty and different. The seasonal veges were nutritious but lumpy. Not well displayed. There was a funny moment after we'd finished eating when someone hurried by and lobbed two rolls onto the table without comment. There were 4 of us and we hadn't been served rolls at all so we wrapped them up and took them home. Happy to return despite this! PS We did decline when someone tried to give us a roast of the day!

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

Went there with friends from Gawler and New Zealand for lunch. Service was fast and friendly and decor was very pleasant. All meals were well presented of good proportion and piping hot. Three of us had the pie of the day, beer, mushroom and bacon with chips and salad, delightful. The others had steak (cooked to perfection) beef cheeks (so tender that the meat fell apart) and salmon which they all enjoyed.
Well worth a visit.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

First time we had tried this restaurant, and we were pleasantly surprised. The starters were good, would recommend the spicy chicken wings and the cauliflower croquettes, but give the garlic bread a miss, it was a bit soggy and lacked any real flavour. Main meals were delicious, the butter roasted chicken bread was divine, the pie of the day was great, as was the roast of the day. The chicken parmigiana was disappointing however all meals were decent servings. Desserts were good as well, would recommend the apple crumble. Service was pleasant, and prices were on the lower end for a restaurant, high end for a pub. Would definitely recommend this place for anyone looking for a decent feed in Mount Barker.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 21 August 2018

After being on the road for over three weeks and eating out every night at mainly foodie destinations, I was keen to find where the locals eat. Someone recommended the Barker. Later in the day I read some of the reviews from fellow 'trippies' and became a little concerned by some of the experiences posted here. Anyway, I was just over going through the process again of finding a desirable destination in the top 5 of any review site, that we went regardless, aware that we could be disappointed.
The Barker has been well renovated (10 yrs ago) and has stood the test of time. Great decor, ambience and atmosphere in the evening, at least was the first welcome surprise. The place certainly wasn't packed (about a third full) and it wasn't too noisy; the second welcome surprise. Our experience with the staff across the board was great for the whole night; the third welcome surprise. Quick to provide a comprehensive menu, a substantial list of specials for Tuesday and a drinks list, we were on our way. There was terrific variety in the specials and then Tuesday was also a schnitzel night with a significant number of choices. It'd be hard for someone not to find something they didn't like with this offering. I was looking for something a little homey and whammo! - there in the specials, both an angus beef pie and Lamb roast with crispy roast potatoes, baked carrots etc etc. - can't get much more homely than that! Ordering was easy, staff friendly, even drinks brought to the table after order. Service from the kitchen was delay free. Now to the meals; the fourth welcome surprise. The meals arrived together. Both were hot, so little evidence of either meal languishing in the kitchen waiting for the other. The croquettes were beautiful and the roast was bloody beautiful. Lamb tender, veggies cooked to perfection, baked potatoes were crisp and sauces full of flavour. Sure, our order wasn't as challenging as others on the menu, so what! The Barker and staff (kitchen and front of house) delivered for us. We both left very satisfied as you've probably guessed from this review. A good experience indeed!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

Coming from someone who grew up in the area but left to work at international restaurants. Very impressed!!
With a high praise to your chefs, they clearly have a passion for great food and presentation, thankyou. I wish your waitresses wore name tags so praise could be given where due. To the fabulous waitress who took our orders and delivered our food. Her knowledge and care for her job was outstanding. Thankyou

However a dampen on the night was another waitress on who was one of the rudest I’ve encountered in a long time. Clearly not wanting to be there was written all over her face. Her rude snare when we ordered cocktails at the “wrong bar” and smug look when I mentioned I had a allergy that needed attention. When she delivered the cocktails she slammed them down so hard and fast it spilt most of my drink or when she tried to clear my plate I was still eating off. In a clear opinion if you don’t want to be at work, then dont. Hospitality isn’t for everyone.

Netherless, we had a beautiful meal and to the waitress who showed us her beautiful hospitality, I would hire you myself.
Thankyou.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank jessssss95
Elise F, Marketing Manager at The Barker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Barker Hotel. I am so glad that overall your experience at The Barker Hotel was fabulous. However, I am sad to read that one of the staff did not deliver a great customer service experience on this occasion for which I would like to offer my sincerest apologies. At The Barker Hotel we constantly strive to ensure the food and drinks offered and also service is kept to a high standard. Our Head Chef prides himself on exceptional flavour and presentation, his food truly speaks for itself. Following your comments I will be personally addressing the Bistro staff to ensure that we provide a quality experience to all of our guests. I will definitely be suggesting 'name tags' to the General Manager, so that in the future the fabulous waitress receives praise for her outstanding work ethic. We look forward to seeing you at The Barker Hotel in the future.