“Excellent food and excellent service!”
Review of The Barker Hotel

The Barker Hotel
Ranked #3 of 46 Restaurants in Mount Barker
Price range: USD 11 - USD 35
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Australian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Barker Hotel is a hotel for everyone, young and old! Whether you are after traditional pub-grub or something a little bit more fancy, The Barker Hotel has the perfect dish for you! Take advantage of our weekly food specials, monthly drink specials and live entertainment. Mondays: Gourmet Pie Day $16.90 Tuesdays: Schnitzel Day from $13.90 Wednesdays: Bump-day Burgers from $15.90 & family Magician 6-8pm Thursdays: Steak Day from $18.90 & Quizmeisters Quiz Night from 7.30pm Fridays: DJ from 9.30pm Saturdays: Live entertainment from 8.30pm All day dining Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

First time we had tried this restaurant, and we were pleasantly surprised. The starters were good, would recommend the spicy chicken wings and the cauliflower croquettes, but give the garlic bread a miss, it was a bit soggy and lacked any real flavour. Main meals were delicious, the butter roasted chicken bread was divine, the pie of the day was great, as was the roast of the day. The chicken parmigiana was disappointing however all meals were decent servings. Desserts were good as well, would recommend the apple crumble. Service was pleasant, and prices were on the lower end for a restaurant, high end for a pub. Would definitely recommend this place for anyone looking for a decent feed in Mount Barker.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 21 August 2018

After being on the road for over three weeks and eating out every night at mainly foodie destinations, I was keen to find where the locals eat. Someone recommended the Barker. Later in the day I read some of the reviews from fellow 'trippies' and became a little concerned by some of the experiences posted here. Anyway, I was just over going through the process again of finding a desirable destination in the top 5 of any review site, that we went regardless, aware that we could be disappointed.
The Barker has been well renovated (10 yrs ago) and has stood the test of time. Great decor, ambience and atmosphere in the evening, at least was the first welcome surprise. The place certainly wasn't packed (about a third full) and it wasn't too noisy; the second welcome surprise. Our experience with the staff across the board was great for the whole night; the third welcome surprise. Quick to provide a comprehensive menu, a substantial list of specials for Tuesday and a drinks list, we were on our way. There was terrific variety in the specials and then Tuesday was also a schnitzel night with a significant number of choices. It'd be hard for someone not to find something they didn't like with this offering. I was looking for something a little homey and whammo! - there in the specials, both an angus beef pie and Lamb roast with crispy roast potatoes, baked carrots etc etc. - can't get much more homely than that! Ordering was easy, staff friendly, even drinks brought to the table after order. Service from the kitchen was delay free. Now to the meals; the fourth welcome surprise. The meals arrived together. Both were hot, so little evidence of either meal languishing in the kitchen waiting for the other. The croquettes were beautiful and the roast was bloody beautiful. Lamb tender, veggies cooked to perfection, baked potatoes were crisp and sauces full of flavour. Sure, our order wasn't as challenging as others on the menu, so what! The Barker and staff (kitchen and front of house) delivered for us. We both left very satisfied as you've probably guessed from this review. A good experience indeed!

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

Coming from someone who grew up in the area but left to work at international restaurants. Very impressed!!
With a high praise to your chefs, they clearly have a passion for great food and presentation, thankyou. I wish your waitresses wore name tags so praise could be given where due. To the fabulous waitress who took our orders and delivered our food. Her knowledge and care for her job was outstanding. Thankyou

However a dampen on the night was another waitress on who was one of the rudest I’ve encountered in a long time. Clearly not wanting to be there was written all over her face. Her rude snare when we ordered cocktails at the “wrong bar” and smug look when I mentioned I had a allergy that needed attention. When she delivered the cocktails she slammed them down so hard and fast it spilt most of my drink or when she tried to clear my plate I was still eating off. In a clear opinion if you don’t want to be at work, then dont. Hospitality isn’t for everyone.

Netherless, we had a beautiful meal and to the waitress who showed us her beautiful hospitality, I would hire you myself.
Thankyou.

1  Thank jessssss95
Elise F, Marketing Manager at The Barker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Barker Hotel. I am so glad that overall your experience at The Barker Hotel was fabulous. However, I am sad to read that one of the staff did not deliver a great customer service experience on this occasion for which I would like to offer my sincerest apologies. At The Barker Hotel we constantly strive to ensure the food and drinks offered and also service is kept to a high standard. Our Head Chef prides himself on exceptional flavour and presentation, his food truly speaks for itself. Following your comments I will be personally addressing the Bistro staff to ensure that we provide a quality experience to all of our guests. I will definitely be suggesting 'name tags' to the General Manager, so that in the future the fabulous waitress receives praise for her outstanding work ethic. We look forward to seeing you at The Barker Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

A friend and i went to the barker last night. We thought we would check out the front bar.. But by far the bartender's were the worse. The attitude, looks and a few of there comments were really unnecessary. My advice is, if you can't handle a busy night with loud drunk people then being a bartender isn't for you and id highly recommend you quit. So please id never recommend going there on a Fridaynight EVER!!!

Date of visit: August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review The Barker Hotel. I am sad to read that the service you received was not up to your expectations for which I would like to sincerely apologise. At The Barker Hotel we constantly strive to ensure the food and drinks offered and also customer service is kept to a high standard. It is not unusual for it to get loud and lively in the bar on a Friday night. These issues will certainly be addressed with our bar manager to ensure we are providing an exceptional experience to all of our guests. We do hope your experience will not deter you from coming back to The Barker Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

Sunday night and we were stumped for restaurants in Mt Barker - decided to visit the Barker which we had seen during the week - modern, attractive decor and central. The dining area was reasonably busy and the young staff friendly and helpful. I had the roast of the day and the potatoes were exceptional. Overall a pleasant experience and a good choice.

Date of visit: July 2018