“WORSE VISIT”

Ranked #3 of 46 Restaurants in Mount Barker
Price range: USD 11 - USD 35
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Australian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Barker Hotel is a hotel for everyone, young and old! Whether you are after traditional pub-grub or something a little bit more fancy, The Barker Hotel has the perfect dish for you! Take advantage of our weekly food specials, monthly drink specials and live entertainment. Mondays: Gourmet Pie Day $16.90 Tuesdays: Schnitzel Day from $13.90 Wednesdays: Bump-day Burgers from $15.90 & family Magician 6-8pm Thursdays: Steak Day from $18.90 & Quizmeisters Quiz Night from 7.30pm Fridays: DJ from 9.30pm Saturdays: Live entertainment from 8.30pm All day dining Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

A friend and i went to the barker last night. We thought we would check out the front bar.. But by far the bartender's were the worse. The attitude, looks and a few of there comments were really unnecessary. My advice is, if you can't handle a busy night with loud drunk people then being a bartender isn't for you and id highly recommend you quit. So please id never recommend going there on a Fridaynight EVER!!!

Date of visit: August 2018
Elise F, Marketing Manager at The Barker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review The Barker Hotel. I am sad to read that the service you received was not up to your expectations for which I would like to sincerely apologise. At The Barker Hotel we constantly strive to ensure the food and drinks offered and also customer service is kept to a high standard. It is not unusual for it to get loud and lively in the bar on a Friday night. These issues will certainly be addressed with our bar manager to ensure we are providing an exceptional experience to all of our guests. We do hope your experience will not deter you from coming back to The Barker Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2018 via mobile

Sunday night and we were stumped for restaurants in Mt Barker - decided to visit the Barker which we had seen during the week - modern, attractive decor and central. The dining area was reasonably busy and the young staff friendly and helpful. I had the roast of the day and the potatoes were exceptional. Overall a pleasant experience and a good choice.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Impeccable meal on Saturday night.
Really just brilliant. Platted well.
Tasted great, all 4 commented.
Staff were attentive.
I did a review in 2016. This tops all.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Came for a meal to celebrate a family birthday. Great decor and very comfortable surrounds. Took a minute to realise there was no table service in the "bistro" so organized drinks at the bar. Upon asking to make sure the Perrier Juet was not popped on opening I was confronted with a blank look and a "but it always popps" (should have known better) after offering to open myself I was told "that's not allowed" a senior staff member approached who attempted yet failed to achieve my request (should have known better). After much decision we ordered I felt like dips and steak. After a while our starters and kids meals came out. Oysters and dips devoured. Mains followed not that long after. Having ordered the butchers cut 300 gram rare I had thought it would be a little bigger and was not expecting it to be butterflied. On half cut finely ended up medium and the other thick side closed to blue (which is how I prefer my meat) the meat was very tough not much any chef can do with that.... It was the trio of onion that quite intrequed my interest. The pickled onion was fridge cold and the spring onion whole, roots and all (??????) The puree was the saving grace. While I did not taste any other meals there were not many compliments apart from the kids schnitzel.
While there was no table service for beverages it would have been nice to have at least one glass cleared from the table. The staff were certainly pleasant and very eager to please, perhaps a little untrained in basic waiting skills.
As previously stated I now known better and will ordered from the deep fryer next time I'm in the Barker.

Date of visit: May 2018
Elise F, Marketing Manager at The Barker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Hi Hadyn,
We are sorry to hear about your poor experience at The Barker Hotel recently. We understand your frustration with the champagne and have reviewed the situation with our staff. Our staff are all fully trained in Responsible Service of Alcohol and unfortunately our hotel policy is that patrons are not to open alcohol on the premises. We are glad that you were happy to accept the bottle of champagne after tasting it. We strive to deliver exceptional food and customer service, so we sincerely apologise that your steak was disappointing, however we can assure you none of our steaks are butterflied? We source our meats from Richard Gunners Fine Meats who is regarded as one of the more premium suppliers, so it is disappointing to hear that the steak was tough. We will certainly bring it to his attention. I am glad to hear the staff were pleasant and eager to please though.
We hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future, to show you a great experience at The Barker Hotel.
Kind Regards,
Bianca | Marketing Manager

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

Had my first visit at The Barker Hotel tonight and it's safe to say I'll be back. There was a large selection of meals to choose from, definitely went above and beyond a normal bar menu. Lovely service, and delicious burgers. Overall a great experience.

Date of visit: April 2018