Review Highlights
Bird-packed personalized tour

We had a fantastic 1/2 day tour with Doug. He is an expert birder and helped us identify tons of... read more

Reviewed 3 April 2023
willida1128
Salt Lake City, Utah
via mobile
Great way to discover the birds of Tropical Queensland

We did a half-day birdwatching tour with Doug Herrington around the Port Douglas area. This was our... read more

Reviewed 8 May 2022
danielsdays

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews birdwatching tour day tour herrington birds honeyeater expert behaviour scarlet binoculars paradise field jacana rainforest
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 August 2019

July 30th 2019

Had a great day out with Doug. Over 60 species counted with 14 'lifers' Couldn't have asked for much more! (Except maybe for a better camera!)

Doug is a great bird finder, bird spotter and bird whisperer and excellent guide. Knows the area and knows his birds.

Highly recommended.

Mike
Melbourne, Victoria

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed 16 July 2019

Doug is a great guide and I had a fantastic day birding with him. I lived in tropical Queensland many years ago and was already pretty familiar with the bird fauna, so my day was focused on a few birds that I missed the first time around. Doug is very knowledgeable and tracked them all down for me, including my favorite for the day: Golden Bowerbird! We also had a Fernwren singing in the open about 2m from us...so cool!

Doug knows the area, knows his, birds, and is also a really affable and fun person to spend a day in the field with.

Date of experience: July 2019
Doug H, Owner at Birdwatching Tropical Australia, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2019

Hi Kurt A

Many thanks for your review. Mt Lewis really did put on a show for us didn't it! I went up again yesterday and managed to get the Victoria's Riflebird on his display perch and there must have been at least 10 Fernwrens calling along the track (breeding season!) It was great guiding you in the area and I am happy that you enjoyed your day.

Reviewed 10 June 2019

I had a fabulous day birding with Doug. We found 91 birds which I would never have done on my own and certainly could not have identified. My favorite is hard to pick but I think the pair of Papuan Frogmouths were pretty special. Can’t wait to come back

Date of experience: June 2019
Doug H, Owner at Birdwatching Tropical Australia, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2019

Hi Deborah
Thanks for choosing Birdwatching Tropical Australia for your tour. My day was just as fabulous showing you what can be found on my patch. Just for the record - my favourite bird was the Black-necked Stork.

Reviewed 26 May 2019 via mobile

A brilliant days birding with Doug yesterday on a still and sunny day. A very professional and knowledgeable guide.His ability to identify birds by their call was impressive as was his use of a bird call app to lure the birds towards us. (Hope you recovered your speaker Doug!) He identified 87 species many we hadn't seen before and would certainly not have seen without his expert help.
Would thoroughly recommend him.

Date of experience: May 2019
Doug H, Owner at Birdwatching Tropical Australia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2019

Hi Dorothy S

Thanks for your review! Yes I did recover my speaker. I was there at 6am and was treated to the most wonderful dawn chorus. I posted a photo of the Fig-Parrot we saw to your FaceBook messages for you. I hope you enjoy it. Calling the birds in with the bird app is great if used with restraint (and never around breeding birds!)

Kind Regards
Doug H

Reviewed 25 April 2019

My husband and I spent a very enjoyable birdwatching day with Doug. The weather was extremely wet but Doug ensured that we managed to see 61 different species of birds and also provided umbrellas. We visited various sites, industrial, mangroves, seashore, graveyards and botanical gardens. The morning coffee and biscuits was very much appreciated and Doug was very easy to be with and our day was very memorable.

Date of experience: April 2019
Doug H, Owner at Birdwatching Tropical Australia, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2019

Hi RubyP

Glad you enjoyed the day despite the weather. Such a pity Cattana Wetlands was flooded and we could not get in. Bird of the day? Papuan Frogmoth if I remember correctly ...

Kind regards