“Not the same King Ludwig experience”

King Ludwigs German Restaurant & Bier Bar
Ranked #2 of 75 Restaurants in Maleny
Cuisines: German
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: King Ludwigs Restaurant opened it's doors in Maleny more than 2 decades ago and was up until October 2021 run by the Bavarian couple, Barbara & Klaus with the help of their professional team. John and Megan have recently taken over operations with the help of existing professional team. From King Ludwigs you overlook the magnificent Glasshouse Mountains and Moreton Bay. Book your table to enjoy this 180 degree view from the verandahs and authentic German cuisine created by our German and French chefs and their team. Views, alpine feel, chalet dining rooms, wood fires and the authentic Bavarian bier bar stocked with more than 35 imported German brews combined with passionate service and honest food make King Ludwig's a destination in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. Give us a yodel soon! Your hosts, John & Megan and Team
Reviewed 24 June 2023 via mobile

Unfortunately the decline in dining experience since my previous visit, prior to the change of ownership, is quite large which is such a shame on many levels - was very excited to be returning to revisit the same high standard of Bavarian food on offer but unfortunately was left with a very different experience altogether.

I’ve read quite a few reviews mentioning the ‘saltiness’ of the food - unfortunately this is very accurate. I was astounded at just how salty (to a very unpleasant level) it was!

The pretzel - beautifully hot and soft - salt level, extreme! The “dip” - tasty, salt level - extreme!

I ordered the Bavarian Meatloaf which came topped with a fried egg with potato salad - the meatloaf was served barely luke-warm at best and resembled a large square slice of spam and the potatoes used in the salad could have done with at least another 5 minutes on the stovetop as they had a rather unpleasant / undercooked crunch to them - such a shame as it was all presented nicely on the plate. Also - saltiness, again was up there!

My elderly mum ordered the Currywurst - smelled beautiful when it arrived at the table, however curry powder generally gets stirred into sauce, not just sprinkled on top of the frankfurt! Made for a very unpleasant taste on the palate. Same issue with both being served ‘luke warm’ and the potato salad - undercooked and rather unpleasant. Also the saltiness - up there again.

We didn’t bother with desert even though we saw some lovely options going to another table - just were very disappointed with our lunch mains.

The menu has dramatically decreased since last visit and I hate to say that the prices don’t really match what is put on the plate, maybe it was just an ‘off day’ in the kitchen but it certainly wasn’t busy during our meal (many empty tables). Maybe lunch doesn’t have as much focus placed on it as what dinners do?

I’m sure there will be many more positive reviews by customers in the future however our experience was really not one of those at all - had such high expectations for yet another amazing Bavarian meal but unfortunately we won’t be returning as it has really appears to have gone downhill since change over - such a shame

Date of visit: June 2023

Reviewed 25 May 2023

Think at last we have found the European restaurant on the Sunshine Coast we have been looking for. Had a very nice lunch there today. The goulash with dumpling and red cabbage was delicious. We also enjoyed the view of the mountains. We will be back.

Date of visit: May 2023
John L, Owner at King Ludwigs German Restaurant & Bier Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2023

Reviewed 25 April 2023

My partner and I had dinner here for our date night on a Saturday night in April. The service was A1 - we were very impressed 😊
Prior to coming I checked out the reviews but they really didn’t reflect our experience here;
- the food was cooked authentically (just as I had expected .. they have the same chef as the previous owners). I had the Pork Knuckle and my partner had the Jägerschnitzel
- the new owner John (and his service team) were friendly and efficient (and this was a very busy night)
- the selection of beers rocked my world and I went home with a big smile on my face 😄 and they even told me where I can order these German beers online! My partner was designated driver this time but we are coming back .. they had a selection of Spirits/Schnapps, Wines, Ciders and Cocktails for those who like something other than Beer!)
Thanks John and the King Ludwig’s team! I’ll be telling my friends and bringing them up for lunch next time - looking to book a table outside with that magnificent view!
Prost 🍻

Date of visit: April 2023
Reviewed 25 April 2023

Great spot. Food was on point and service was excellent.
Love the view.
Order the Jägerschnitzel, you won't regret it

Date of visit: March 2023
Reviewed 23 April 2023

A return visit for us since pre COVID and although menu choices were limited enjoyed our lunch on the deck. Food was good and service friendly and efficient. A reasonable expensive outing and the venue would not appeal to budget conscious diners.

Date of visit: April 2023