“Lunch in the Hinterland”

King Ludwigs German Restaurant & Bier Bar
Ranked #2 of 75 Restaurants in Maleny
Cuisines: German
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: King Ludwigs Restaurant opened it's doors in Maleny more than 2 decades ago and was up until October 2021 run by the Bavarian couple, Barbara & Klaus with the help of their professional team. John and Megan have recently taken over operations with the help of existing professional team. From King Ludwigs you overlook the magnificent Glasshouse Mountains and Moreton Bay. Book your table to enjoy this 180 degree view from the verandahs and authentic German cuisine created by our German and French chefs and their team. Views, alpine feel, chalet dining rooms, wood fires and the authentic Bavarian bier bar stocked with more than 35 imported German brews combined with passionate service and honest food make King Ludwig's a destination in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. Give us a yodel soon! Your hosts, John & Megan and Team
Reviewed 25 May 2023

Think at last we have found the European restaurant on the Sunshine Coast we have been looking for. Had a very nice lunch there today. The goulash with dumpling and red cabbage was delicious. We also enjoyed the view of the mountains. We will be back.

Date of visit: May 2023
John L, Owner at King Ludwigs German Restaurant & Bier Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2023

Reviewed 25 April 2023

My partner and I had dinner here for our date night on a Saturday night in April. The service was A1 - we were very impressed 😊
Prior to coming I checked out the reviews but they really didn’t reflect our experience here;
- the food was cooked authentically (just as I had expected .. they have the same chef as the previous owners). I had the Pork Knuckle and my partner had the Jägerschnitzel
- the new owner John (and his service team) were friendly and efficient (and this was a very busy night)
- the selection of beers rocked my world and I went home with a big smile on my face 😄 and they even told me where I can order these German beers online! My partner was designated driver this time but we are coming back .. they had a selection of Spirits/Schnapps, Wines, Ciders and Cocktails for those who like something other than Beer!)
Thanks John and the King Ludwig’s team! I’ll be telling my friends and bringing them up for lunch next time - looking to book a table outside with that magnificent view!
Prost 🍻

Reviewed 25 April 2023

Great spot. Food was on point and service was excellent.
Love the view.
Order the Jägerschnitzel, you won't regret it

Date of visit: March 2023
Reviewed 23 April 2023

A return visit for us since pre COVID and although menu choices were limited enjoyed our lunch on the deck. Food was good and service friendly and efficient. A reasonable expensive outing and the venue would not appeal to budget conscious diners.

Reviewed 6 April 2023 via mobile

We’re devastated that this restaurant has changed hands again and is now a very poor version of its former self. Only the lovely view & the beer selection remain. We have been coming here for 13 years and will not come again. The food is no longer loved and delicious, the wait staff are keen but inexperienced. Such a shame.

Date of visit: April 2023
John L, Owner at King Ludwigs German Restaurant & Bier Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2023

Jane, this is John here and back on deck doing service again on first day today after a bit of a break. We had a successful lunch of over 100 patrons today and have 70 booked for dinner. We continue to strive for excellence and obviously with my response you can see that the restaurant hasn’t changed hands again. Simply Megan and I have been in Germany and Austria. I am sorry you saw us on a bad day and they happen at times and we welcobe you back anytime and hope to see you again.