All reviews fig tree bobotie african food south africa african theme washing machine and dryer recommend highly mid week two storey second bedroom two nights comfortable beds wonderful stay log fire wonderful hosts short drive tiger
Reviewed 10 September 2012

This could be a very nice place to stay. Unfortunately the place was quite dirty, bags of rubbish were out the back, the bbq hadn't been clean, cockroaches were frequently sighted, furniture was broken, there were not enough towels for all of us, and it looked like a construction sight out the back. The house could be very nice, but needs a good clean and some better service. However it is extremely close to the road which I wasn't expecting, and there is also a cottage right next door and not as private as I had imagined it would have been. Oh and don't bother reading the guest book at the house, as all you will find is raving reviews as she only rips out the bad reviews.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank BJP2006_12
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My partner and I had a lovely night at the African Cottage recently. We bought a voucher for a special offer of two nights accommodation plus an african meal and wine. I also ordered some special entree to be enjoyed. Whilst we advised the owner, Matilda that we would arrive before 2pm, we were disappointed that we had to call her at 5.45pm to find out when our food/wine was arriving. We couldn't find her at reception. Eventually she arrived at 6.20pm with the food but no wine. Lucky we bought some wine at a local winery. The next day she said there were two packages and not sure what one we were on (but she IS the manager??). So we took her wine home with us after I requested it.
The bath towels were small and rough, not the quality I would expect from a B&B.
Sitting on the deck under a 500yr old fig tree with an open fire brazier was very romantic. The setting is beautiful, the service just needs attention.

Room Tip: The new cape cottage under the fig tree was best.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple