Lock in great prices from these sites
Peter V
Brisbane, Australia

Beware! This is a place for customer abuse, not relaxation.

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 10 July 2016
This is by far the worst and most abusive treatment I have had from any business owner by any stretch of the imagination.
Staying here totally ruined the atmosphere for our anniversary getaway.
I am compelled to write a negative review detailing our experience, since it was truly traumatic and am flagging a warning to other travellers.

First of all, the welcome to this place called an "Oasis" (a townhouse in suburbia) we had issues from the beginning: we arrived at 3pm (check in on the website states from 2pm onwards) but we were told we couldn’t check in yet since Dalila ‘had clients’ and she then said we had to wait until 4pm or 5pm.

We literally had to wait in town with the luggage and all and found this rather inconvenient.

Arriving at 4pm, we had to wait until 4:15pm and upon entering she said to us’ I have a client now so I'll come back at 5:30pm to check you in properly’, then adding ‘you won't be having dinner yet by then’ (assuming she knew what our plans were).

At 5:30pm we heard nothing from her, I texted after 15 minutes with no reply as I just didn't want to have this dropping in surprise happen on the night of our anniversary. As we were wondering what was happening I asked if we could it tomorrow instead to which I had no reply.
She then called at 630pm saying ‘can I come over now’ - I said ‘’fine’, just wanting to get it all done and dealt with. Ten minutes went by and nothing.
Then a knock at the side door, she didn’t give any courtesy to space and basically pushed our belongings out of the way so she could sit inside our room, which we found rather intrusive.

She sat at the table touching things and seeming to want to drag things out, staring all around the room, making us feel rather awkward and invaded in our privacy.

She went on for a while talking about all these bad experiences she had had in the past and lecturing us on how to do basic daily tasks such as opening windows during showers and was talking to us as though we didn’t know how to close a window.

We decided to get on with it and asked her when check out would be, she said 10am, and so I reasonably asked whether there would be any flexibility of a late checkout since she didn’t let us check in until 4.15pm.

At this point she turned and aggressively said “that’s not my problem” and told us that if we do stay after ten there would be an extra $50 charge.

We then made the point calmly that given we were not allowed in the room until 4.15pm (when on the booking confirmation it says check in after 2pm) a little flexibility on check out wasn’t too much to ask.
She defended her actions saying that ‘she has clients dropping in at any time’ and when we asked why she didn’t let us know she had clients coming and that we may have to wait for check in she replied ‘that is none of your business’. She added that she had already made a concession by letting us have our guinea pigs (in a cage) in the room, and therefore couldn’t ask too much.

When my partner attempted to contribute to the conversation Dalila rudely said about her ‘this one has a lip on her’ and then adding ‘she also has an ego’ and basically telling her off for speaking up as ‘she did not make the booking’.

I was shocked at the way she spoke to my partner and I asked her ‘not to speak to her in that way’.
Next she provided a healthy dose of racism towards my partner by asking in a venomous tone “Where are you from” because she has an accent, when my partner refused to tell her she demanded again to know where she was from, as if she was waiting to make a remark on her origins.

She actually turned my partner into tears to the point that she had to leave the room.

Things turned rather sour and both myself and my partner started feeling quite annoyed at her aggressive manners and the fact that she was basically ruining what was supposed to be our anniversary time together.

We were paying $300 for a room where we had to sit and be abused until 7pm which was more than a joke. She then demanded very rudely my credit card details in full, which I flat out refused after the abuse she had thrown out, she also wanted my drivers license and car rego. I reasonably and calmly at this point said I wouldn’t be doing that, since I had already provided my credit card details through the website.

At that point she threatened that if I did not provide my credit card details she would call the police on us.
She started screaming at another lady staying there saying ‘call Wotif and call the Police’.
I encouraged her to call them and added that we no longer wanted to stay there.

The other lady came in and asked Dalila if ‘she was crazy’. She then kindly assisted us in packing our bags and when my partner asked her ‘whether Dalila was always like this’ she replied ‘we have had some pretty bad reviews in the past..’

We packed up and totally shaken at what had happened left at 7.30pm, with nowhere to stay.

Warning to other travellers out of this - the place is nowhere near what is marketed on their website, the flowers were yellow and dying, there is nothing like what is advertised in the bathrooms, completely overpriced and gaudy. Totally unstable owner who should not be running a business with clientele of any kind, does not know the first thing about hospitality or respect to guests.

Totally ruined what was meant to be a relaxing anniversary weekend. I am expecting a reply full of lies and abuse based on what I have read from the other posts and duly noted that on the night even after 3 hours of being in that place she had threatened us with ‘if you leave a bad review I know how to respond’. In her other replies to bad reviews it is obvious Delila doesn’t hold back from making personal attacks, vulgar assumptions and prejudicial statements that actually violate the Management Response Guidelines.

Their listing is under further investigation by Wotif management for misleading claims and improper conduct so save yourself time and money and don't stay here unless you are into masochism!!
Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1.0 of 5 bubblesValue
1.0 of 5 bubblesRooms
1.0 of 5 bubblesService
Dalila-Lacquiere, Owner at Egyptian Dream Retreat, responded to this review
Responded 24 Aug 2017
Hi. This review is not what actually happened, guest arrived with guinea pigs in a large cage and expected them to be in his room, refused to show us any ID's which violates our insurance & business policies. A full refund was given to guest.
Thank you for your feedback.

0.7 km from Egyptian Dream Retreat
  • eDreams
  • Agoda.com
8.6 km from Egyptian Dream Retreat
View more hotels in Maleny
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 April 2016

Room was clean. Couldn't fault that aspect. The rest of the stay was terrible. Very unfriendly. Almost felt as if we shouldn't be there. We had expected bed and breakfast. We had to leave before breakfast even arrived (this was after being told very definitely that breakfast would be served between 8am and 9am. We received a text just before 9 saying there had been a delay as she had to shop further afield than she first thought for fresh produce - hello, you have guests, don't you make sure you have the produce on site for their breakfast!) The description on the website is totally inaccurate. We were expecting beautiful views - we have better views from the verandah of our own home! Told to take our shoes off so we didn't disturb the people in the room below us - um there was no room below us! Website said tea/coffee making facilities - yep if you like your tea and coffee black! Breakfast was to be Mediterranean style - no options - nowhere on the website does it say that there is only one option for breakfast and that that breakfast would be vegan only! Very poor. I seldom am compelled to write reviews, but in this case, we were so disappointed. We will be trying to get a refund.

Date of stay: April 2016
38  Thank Micagh
Reviewed 25 April 2016

Fellow travellers,
My partner and I had our first weekend getaway at this gorgeous retreat and we weren't disappointed!
From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome by our wonderful hostess Dalila! who throughout our entire stay was a delight and pleasure to chat with not only that she also made us the most delicious breakfast at no extra cost!

The room was immaculate, the only way I can think to describe it is luxury meets the calming influence of nature.

If you are after a healing and calming experience with a personal touch we can not recommend this place enough!

Date of stay: April 2016
7  Thank Kristy G
Egyptian Dream R, Owner at Egyptian Dream Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2016

Thank you so much for your lovely review and that you were not disappointed. We are always most grateful, it was indeed our honour to have assisted you and your partner during your stay. We are looking forward to your return. Cheers.

Reviewed 5 March 2016

A beautifully appointed luxurious Retreat and Day Spa with lush tropical gardens right in the heart of Maleny.

Our stay in the Isis Penthouse, with our own personal entrance, an amazing sunken spa (made even more exotic with floating fresh flowers and herbs) a lounge space, enormous bathroom and Egyptian furniture, was our own personal hideaway that refreshed and nourished the soul after a long week at work.

The peaceful views across the hills through the day were transformed by night with the sounds of cicadas and frogs, to our own personal haven with fun and creative garden lighting.

Dalila was a delightful host providing an amazing breakfast and recommended that we dine at a local Nepalese restaurant (absolutely superb cuisine and atmosphere) and only a short stroll to the vibrant main street.

We truly feel blessed to have found this unique escape, and hope to return soon to breathe the fresh air and to experience some of the Natural therapies and Day Spa (Sauna and Egyptian Bath), that are on offer.

Date of stay: February 2016
3  Thank 999julian999
Egyptian Dream R, Business Associate at Egyptian Dream Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2016

Dear Guests. Thank you for sharing our dreams and staying at our Isis-Moon-Goddess sub-penthouse, your response is very meaningful to us and thank you for allowing yourselves absorb fully a different culture, ambience and an exotic luxurious experience within a holistic Egyptian, Mediterranean space. We would really love your return. Best Wishes.

Reviewed 13 January 2016

Last year my wife and I celebrated our twentieth wedding anniversary and wished to return to the spot where we honeymooned. So we looked on line and booked a BnB at Maleny and imagined cottages set in the grounds of a spot looking from the mountain range. In reality it was a large high-set home that was divided in to individual self-contained rooms in the middle of suburbia. The interior was framed with largely framed mirrors to make it appear big which it wasn't. The spa was a bath with jets and you had to go outside to switch it on. When we asked the host about breakfast we were told that she had stopped doing breakfasts because everyone asked for bacon and eggs and she could not ethically do this as she's vegan. Being a coffee drinker and coffee making facilities mentioned on the website I was told there was tea, coffee, sugar and an electric kettle but no milk. This was because of the shameful way that the cows and their calves are treated by the milk industry. There was a lovely bedcover on top of the bed which she told us to fold up and put away in the wardrobe till we leave and not to lay on it. We also asked about the advertised specials surprises and was told that this was to do with discounts for massages as she was a masseuse. Feeling rather ripped off we declined the offer of a massage. After declining her massages and a five minute showing of the ropes, we did not see her again and when we left she told us by phone she was to busy to see us off. We complained to the booking agent and got a small amount back and then we wrote our complaints on their site. We noticed that other negative reviews the 'resort' owner made comments on how rude those guest were on their visit. It was so disappointing that I feel like going to Maleny again this year and staying at a spot we found whilst exploring the area and hope to recapture the enjoyment we had on our honeymoon.

Date of stay: April 2015
24  Thank stewy68
Reviewed 25 November 2015 via mobile

I have stayed at a number of establishments around the world but none have been as exquisite @ Dalila's home/retreat. The room designs, the snacks the amazing breakfasts / flowers / bath salts were all superb & the hospitality fantastic! Thank you for a great 2 nights stay & I will be back :) Hayley

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Whitelawh
Egyptian Dream R, Owner at Egyptian Dream Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2015

Dear Reviewer. Thank you so much for your amazing review, we are grateful & appreciative that you fully enjoyed your stay and had wonderful experiences. We have much more to offer in ways of unique relaxation massages, Colour Mist Sauna, Egyptian Spa, Cleopatra, Samson & Delilah therapies. We are looking forward to your return & please mention your name so we will look after you with the most special rates & highest quality therapies. We acknowledge & reward our kind honest reviewers. Cheers. Dalila