“Beautiful relaxing setting”
Review of La Trattoria

La Trattoria
Price range: USD 0 - USD 26
Reviewed 8 January 2015

At first I was wondering about having to pay an entry fee on entry into a gift shop but after spending time around the farm, gardens, lavender fields and lovely setting of the restaurant it didn't bother me at all. I had the frittata and apple cake, both were delicious and good size serves too. Staff were very welcoming and attentive. It was an extremely hot day when I visited and a couple of elderly people were suffering from the heat. The staff provided a pedestal fan and cold towels for them. Good on you guys.

Date of visit: January 2015
1  Thank Margaret R

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Never tire of visiting Lavandula, its gorgeous and lovely and friendly and one feels its a natural progression to end the time there and eat at their restaurant. The cold and wet day disappeared with warmth and friendliness of the staff and the hearty soup

Date of visit: May 2014
Reviewed 10 September 2013

On entering the lovely environs of the Lavendula Swiss Lavender farm, you start in the retail shop and can check out and purchase thier lovely lavender themed goods as well as a nice assortment of homewares. Then to enter the actual farm you have to pay a $4 fee -which I found a bit rich as we only wanted to go to the cafe for a cup of tea. Anyway, pay we did and wandered down to the cafe. It is indeed a nice envioronment and I could see that in summer it would be supurb in the semi open air area. There wern't may guests on this Sunday late afteroon, however the service was very haphazard. Happy to do the 'order and pay at the counter' but do expect some warmth in the service and efficiency when it is clearly not busy. Would visit again for the environment and to picnic, but could see that the entrance fee could be offputting especially for a large group.

Date of visit: September 2013
2  Thank Chrissylou62
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Lovely place. Only had coffee and scones. Both were v good

1  Thank Payton20
Reviewed 15 June 2011

How do you rate this conundrum? The location at Lavendula is like being in Italy. An authentic yet restored Swiss Italian farm with stone building, vines, lavender, animals, gardens and even a bocce’ court. It is 100% ideal for a picnic and kid friendly.

La Trattoria is in one of the stunning preserved building and oozes character. The food is local and good to very good. Prices a little high but serves generous. Styles is varied, regional and fresh. To sit outside on warm night under the linden trees looking into the valley is delight (note: mozzie repellant essential)

Yet the service (on more than one occasion) is consistently poor. It feels like the chef is one operation and the serving/coffee staff another group? Our last visit forced me to put this review in hope they may change.

OK, we can cope with getting our cakes, ice creams within 2 deliveries 2 minutes apart but then to wait another 15 to 20 mins for one tea, one mulled wine, and hot chocolate was a joke. And no the order was not lost.

I tried, I got the “surfer dude (SD) type waiter’s eye and then he walked past. By the time drinks arrived we had eaten the food, my wife has gone to find the toilet, 5 year old daughter so bored she left to explore and my guest ditto with daughter. So when he finally delivered (again in bits) I have to comment: “better late than never” I said, to which SD grunted? So I added “except no, as we have almost all left”, more grunts! So I finally said, “so you agree this is crap service” reply: yes you guessed it: more grunts!!!. And we were located 7m away from the coffee bar yet no comment from the frazzled looking coffee lady.

As we left, the table we shared with a party of 8 were half way through their “journey” of how many scone/s had come and were to come? and again, no drinks.
My advice, go to Lavendula but visit Cliffys beforehand. Stock on picnic gear, cheese, ham, olives, et all a local bottle and enjoy a meal on time at a less cost. We have done that a few times and forgot this time. Doh!

Date of visit: June 2011