“Great location, good food, terrible service”
Review of La Trattoria

La Trattoria
Price range: USD 0 - USD 26
Reviewed 15 June 2011

How do you rate this conundrum? The location at Lavendula is like being in Italy. An authentic yet restored Swiss Italian farm with stone building, vines, lavender, animals, gardens and even a bocce’ court. It is 100% ideal for a picnic and kid friendly.

La Trattoria is in one of the stunning preserved building and oozes character. The food is local and good to very good. Prices a little high but serves generous. Styles is varied, regional and fresh. To sit outside on warm night under the linden trees looking into the valley is delight (note: mozzie repellant essential)

Yet the service (on more than one occasion) is consistently poor. It feels like the chef is one operation and the serving/coffee staff another group? Our last visit forced me to put this review in hope they may change.

OK, we can cope with getting our cakes, ice creams within 2 deliveries 2 minutes apart but then to wait another 15 to 20 mins for one tea, one mulled wine, and hot chocolate was a joke. And no the order was not lost.

I tried, I got the “surfer dude (SD) type waiter’s eye and then he walked past. By the time drinks arrived we had eaten the food, my wife has gone to find the toilet, 5 year old daughter so bored she left to explore and my guest ditto with daughter. So when he finally delivered (again in bits) I have to comment: “better late than never” I said, to which SD grunted? So I added “except no, as we have almost all left”, more grunts! So I finally said, “so you agree this is crap service” reply: yes you guessed it: more grunts!!!. And we were located 7m away from the coffee bar yet no comment from the frazzled looking coffee lady.

As we left, the table we shared with a party of 8 were half way through their “journey” of how many scone/s had come and were to come? and again, no drinks.
My advice, go to Lavendula but visit Cliffys beforehand. Stock on picnic gear, cheese, ham, olives, et all a local bottle and enjoy a meal on time at a less cost. We have done that a few times and forgot this time. Doh!