All reviews old style country pub dining room beer garden step back in time pub food few drinks open fire friendly service hand basin wall heater grand old lady sunday lunch lovely old hotel schnitzel mulled wine old world
Reviewed 29 April 2011

A Tudor-revival survival from the 1920s and a delightful place for a meal, especially in cold weather. Built in the 1920s, the Bundanoon Hotel has changed remarkably little. The dining room adjacent to the saloon bar is a cosy original from that era, with original furniture and wood panelling (only pity is that the original open fire is no longer operating). Good pub food with friendly service and congratulations to the management - no canned music when we were there. Proper espresso machine. The public bar is also unchanged, furnished with 1920s tiles and chrome and beer advertisements from that era. Atmospheric entrance hall and staircase.

Right next to the similarly antique Bundanoon railway station.

Date of stay: April 2011
1  Thank higvin
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I booked two rooms for teh Christmas in July Event, for my partner and my parents. The deal was $145 per person for accomodation, dinner and breakfast. We did not expect 5 star quality but were looking forward to a relaxing weekend in the counrtry. The room was basic, the dinner was horrendous. The waitress did not know what she was serving and the food was a far cry from what we hoped to have. No efforst was made all to replicate a Christmas in July meal. We got over that and enjoed a few drinks by the fireplace and retired to bed. What happend next was disgraceful, a group of young people that were stayiong decided and were allowed to set up a dance floor near the hotel rooms and partied loudly till eall hours of the morning. My boyfiend and I got up at 1am to look for a night manager to ask them to turn it down and carry on elsewhere in the hotel. no one to be found, I asked them to quite it down as people qwre trying to sleep adn the walls were so thin. They turned it down a little but carried on, door knocking on peoples doors till 3am or so. Breakfast was awful, they could not even be bothered to use real eggs ( and free range eggs are bountiful in this area of NSW)!!!! I complained to the night manager, whom claimed he was aroundat 1am, but could not hear a thing. I feel he is lying and was not there at all. I complained to the owner, his response " What can you do?" many or their customers on the night have compliened but it seems they don't realy care at all for repeat business. It was such a shame as just a little bit morem,effort with the food could have been fine and alot more caring of tehi clients that have comet o relax and enjoy would go along way.

Date of stay: July 2010
3  Thank Sistamay
Reviewed 23 May 2010

My friend and I stayed here for a night. The accommodation was comfortable. Even though the twin room we booked had no bathroom there were rooms with ensuite. It was easy to tread down the hall to a well kept bathroom facility. The meals taken in the dining room for dinner,and breakfast were excellent with plenty of choice and good value.This Hotel is a well maintained building of a bygone era and close to the village and the beautiful walks in Morton National Park. It would be a great place to stay with a larger group of friends.We were pleasantly surprised after the scathing review I had read before I booked.Their criticism did not match our experience.

Date of stay: May 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Elissa_9
Reviewed 23 November 2009

We booked this hotel by telephone and were quoted a price including breakfast ( without en-suite). When we arrived we were given a price of $30-00 more and when we queried this we were told the reason was we had a hand basin in our room.

The decor of the hotel was very dated and all the furniture and furnishing needed renewing. When we went up to our room I tripped over the carpet at the top of the stairs which was loose and laid uneven. The pool room was upstairs by the bedrooms, although I wouldn't imagine there would be much activity there as the pool table was supported by a bar table at each end and sagged in the middle. Our bedroom was very disappointing. We did have a hand basin - but there was no plug, the taps and plug-hole were rusty and there was a crack running across from the plug hole to the top of the basin (well worth $30-00).

The staff at the hotel were very unhelpful. In the restaurant and saloon the same bar extended over both these rooms but there seemed to be an invisible line which the staff were not allowed to cross. The staff serving in the restaurant would not get even a bottle of wine from the bar we had to go to the saloon area ourselves and likewise when I requested a hot drink in the saloon I was told I had to go to the restaurant part to make the order. Breakfast time was from 8 to 9am and we were made to feel that they only intended to make one amount of food - when we requested more bread to make our own toast even this was frowned on. The gentleman who was covering reception when we were leaving and expressed our feelings to (this was about 10 am and to our knowledge we were the third set of hotel guests to complain) was extremely rude. His language to the people in front of us was disgusting and the fact they had a little girl who was about 4 years old with them meant nothing to him.

Staying at this hotel was a miserable experience and luckily we were only there for one night.

Date of stay: November 2009
2  Thank Taffy000
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Recently I and three visiting friends from overseas spent a Saturday night at the Bundanoon Hotel (not to be confused with the Bundanoon Motel).

Upon arrival we all thought the Hotel looked tired. The exterior needed a good paint and the lawns and gardens were scruffy. The same can be said for the interior of the hotel (very tired and dark).

After checking in and having to pay for our rooms up front (alarm bells), we started the evening with a pre-dinner drink in the Saloon Bar. The bar staff were rude and unfriendly and when a cocktail was requested we were told that they were “too busy” this evening to make cocktails (from our perspective there were only ever 2 people ordering drinks at the bar at any one time and thus completely baffled by this comment).

We then had dinner in the hotel restaurant. We ordered a bottle of wine to have with our meal, and were told we had to purchase this at the bar. I duly went to the bar and purchased a bottle of wine. I then had to go back to the bar and ask for glasses and was told by a very rude duty manager that “there are already glasses on your table” to which I replied “no, this is why I am here asking for glasses please?”

Dinner was a complete and utter flop - the chicken breast was so dry it could not be eaten, the vegetables that came with the lamb shank were utterly ridiculous and almost non existent (one slice of carrot, zucchini, broccoli), and the steak was sinewy and overcooked. We finished the evening with one more drink in the ordinary saloon bar and went to bed.

We were all woken some time after midnight when a private birthday party came up stairs and continued in the guest lounge next to our rooms. The music was blaring; they were smoking, and a myriad of extremely course language echoed the halls.

One friend went downstairs to speak to the night staff and there was not ONE staff member on duty (this has got to be negligent behaviour, if not a legal matter)! So, the nasty drunken party, where alcohol was flowing freely (I am not sure where the drinks came from) continued in this licensed venue until after 3.37am!

The next morning we queued to complain at reception (who seemed angry and putout by our feedback). We waited our turn patiently. An elderly couple, said they had, had a most terrible night and their car had been vandalised (a window was smashed). Four woman said they were too frighted to leave their rooms they felt so unsafe. A young family said there daughter was scared and they were terribly upset by the lack of duty of care provided by the Hotel.

Basically it was a one of the most miserable experiences of my life and I was unreservedly ashamed as an Australian citizen to showcase the beautiful Southern Highlands to my overseas visitors in this light.

I can only say the Bundanoon Hotel is a complete Mickey Mouse operation and should be audited for illegal sale of alcohol, guest safety and hygiene of premises.

Date of stay: November 2009