All reviews living room full kitchen jacuzzi tub amazing place spy glass get away every amenity king range happy place spectacular views takes pride red fox ground level write a review self contained overlooking the ocean landing strip
Reviewed 25 July 2017

My husband and I spent our 15th wedding anniversary at this lovely Inn. Our private room was on the ground level and beautifully appointed with marble accents, fireplace, and hot tub with view out over the Pacific. The suite is set up like a studio apartment with full kitchen, separate bedroom and bathroom with a high ceilinged living room that feels open and airy with sliding glass doors and windows to provide light, and an adjoining porch. It is perfect for a romantic get away or just relaxing and enjoying the spectacular coastal view. As a woman, I was especially impressed by the attention paid to small amenities: a lighted magnifying mirror in the bathroom for women to actually SEE to put on makeup(!), chocolates, and breakfast bar snacks included along with coffee and creamers, liquid and bar soaps and makeup remover towelettes were also provided. The owners, Richard and Margaret, were friendly, accommodating, and full of local information welcoming us with a bottle of champagne. : )
The drive in to Shelter Cove provides spectacular views of the King Range Conservation Area, so this destination definitely provides the best of both worlds for nature lovers, artists, and photographers: amazing wooded and coastal views and hiking possibilities abound!

Room Tip: Definitely a worthwhile destination to escape!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2017

we went again for a 10 day de-stress time. this is our go to place to just relax and get back to normal. to be on the deck for breakfast, lunch & dinner is so peaceful, to just listen to the surf on the rocks below. watching the whales, birds and the fishing & crabbing boats. we do take walks but always come back to the room at the inn because its so relaxing, why sit on the beach when the room gives us the option of ducking out of the wind and getting a raised view of the coastline. also perfect for storms.. just love the rain. you will love it.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2017

I had the most wonderful and memorable stay at the spyglass inn with hosts Richard and Margaret at their house at the spyglass inn. I stayed in the Dolphin room with my sibling Alex. I recall the tiles being cold and I had forgotten my slippers, Margaret immediately offered me her brand new slippers and socks, I was so thrilled and warm. Richard allowed me to use his gas stove and I was able to fry some fresh Cajun fish, it made for a lovely and comfortable stay, in cozy home away from my very own home sweet home. I will return again to stay with Richard and Margaret, they are such wonderful warm and friendly folks, always willing to help and make your stay and journey full of remarkable memories.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2017

Again 9 nights of serenity, this is our favorite place to stay even if we do drive for almost 6 hours.. the innkeepers are so nice and gracious, they go out of the way to make your stay so special. all the privecy needed for a couples get away. walks along the beach, nice trails, great drives all over the lost coast. watching small planes land & taking off. over the top sunsets, we will always pick spyglass inn.. drive up hwy 1 to ferndale thru town on main street and follow the road through the lost coast to honeydew then right to shelter cove, remember, this way south has the best views

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alan c
Reviewed 21 January 2017 via mobile

We were looking for somewhere comfortable for a few quiet days during out recent Californian road trip. I booked Spyglass Inn after reading the glowing reviews on TA. This is definitely the place to stay in Shelter Cove. Yes, it is a long drive in from the main road (45 minutes) but the road is good with plenty of passing spots for slower cars.

We stayed in Odyessy as it has a shower rather than a bath. It does not have a spa bath in the living room which suited us. We were very comfortable in spacious accommodation and appreciated the full sized kitchen. The bed is VERY comfortable with nice linen and towels. It was very cold when we were there but we were nice and warm in the well insulated unit, and only used the fire once for an hour or so. The unit was impeccably maintained and very clean.

We stopped at the supermarket in Redway, as suggested, which has a good range at reasonable prices. We also found the Shelter Cove general store, whilst a little more expensive, convenient with helpful staff.

The only odd thing was the lack of any hanging space in the bedroom - there is a coat rack with hooks at the front door and a chest of drawers in the bedroom, but no wardrobe space which would be inconvenient for a longer stay.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple