“Good Local Pub”

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Youlgreave
Price range: USD 10 - USD 19
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 17th Centuary coaching house serving home cooked food Children and dogs welcome
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Family run pub with the older kids helping. Food is “proper pub grub” with very generous portions just as it should be. Dog and child friendly.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I would say that the service was good because it was a very sweet young girl who took our order of two beef Sunday lunches. It was also her that had to come out & apologies to us after we complained about the poor standard of food served that day. That should not have happened, the owner should have done this, but he decided to stay in the kitchen out of the way. The beef was tough & barely warm, as were the so called roast potatoes, (anaemic more like). The parsnips were rock hard, par boiled & barely shown the oven. The veg was also rock hard & utterly devoid of any taste what so ever. My husband was very hungry, we had just travelled up that day, so he ate it, but later wishes he hadn't. I couldn't eat mine & left it. They offered us more freshly cooked veg, by which time everything else on the plate would have been cold.......well colder than it already was. We declined, paid & left with no discount. We won't be back to try again. No excuses for this poor standard.

3  Thank Celia B
martin h, Owner at The Bulls Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Hi Thank you for your review. We are happy to receive all reviews both good and not so good. We do not usually respond to reviews but I feel I would like to respond to this one and try to explain what may have occurred. Firstly thank you for your kind words about our staff and we do get good comments about the service we provide. Secondly I was in the kitchen and we were extremely busy on that particular day. However had you suggested to our polite staff member that you wished to see me I would have been only to happy to come and talk to you. As for the quality of food, we served 17 other Sunday Roasts that day and we did not receive a complaint about tough, cold meat, rock hard and utterly tasteless veg or anemic roast potatoes. As you also stated your husband completed his meal which was the same as you had. Surely if it was as inedible as you state he would not have done so despite being extremely hungry and why he later "regretted" eating it is beyond me. I also would like too add that you managed to eat a good 2/3rd of your lunch.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Had dinner with friends on Good Friday. As before, Steak was cooked to perfection with the best onion rings and the prosecco was very drinkable! The new owners have done a fab job with this place. There was live music too. A great night. We love it here.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Owned by the hills family for the last year you are welcomed with smiles and a stress free dining experience whether breakfast, lunch or dinner. Food is delicious and we highly recommend the steak pie, lasagne or lamb shank. We will be back and definitely eating in here again. Thank you from Lauren, Andy, Hattie, Graham & Karen.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

On a very cold Sunday, in the middle of "The Beast from the East" Mark II, we were getting 'cabin fever' and so we made it our mission to find somewhere new in Derbyshire for Sunday lunch! Decided on Youlgrave and walking past The Bulls Head, saw that they had several choices for Sunday lunch. We also saw that they had a log fire, so that was it! We sat on the nearest table to the fire and chose our lunch - beef for both of us.

When the meal came, served by a delightfully-efficient young waitress, The lunch was enormous, with lots of veg and very light home-made Yorkies. We both had two enormous slices of medium roast beef and, very importantly, a jug of REAL gravy, not just glutinous packet stuff, which we increasingly get.

The young couple who have taken on The Bulls Head are obviously working very hard to bring it back, as I understand it has been closed for a while. I do hope they do well, can't see why they wouldn't serving food like that. We will definitely be back!

2  Thank SheffieldPip