“Little Gem”

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Youlgreave
Price range: USD 10 - USD 19
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 17th Centuary coaching house serving home cooked food Children and dogs welcome
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Stayed in Youlgreave end of Sept. and sampled food at all three pubs. Our favourite was The Bull, where we ate twice during our five night stay. Our meal took awhile to arrive as my husband ordered the pie but we were happy to wait and pleased that the menu told us that would be the case as the pies were cooked to order. We don't mind waiting so long as we're told beforehand. The pub looks recently refurbished, spotless toilets and modern decor within a traditional surrounding. We took our dog and liked that all the floors in the pub were stone and we were told we could sit where we liked, which made a refreshing change as we have become used to being banished to the corner of the bar area because we have a dog. Reminds me of back in the late 80s when our children were small and pubs had just started to allow children in if eating. There would be a doz families cramped into the family room and half a dozen beer-bellied men in the main pub playing pool and darts. Oh how times have changed

2  Thank Joyces01

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Had a great meal on Saturday night here. Made us really welcome (the two of us plus our Labrador).

Steak and kidney pie was the best I have had! Lasagne was also very good.

Martin made a fuss of our dog as well as the other people in the pub. He lent us a map and a book on local walks which was nice.

Been back for Sunday lunch which was fab!
Will definitely visit again.

1  Thank Richard W
Reviewed 10 October 2017

The pub was taken over some time ago by a villager and has gone from strength to strength. Is has become a warm and friendly place to have a drink and relax with a good selection of beverages.

The food is also of a high standard. Plates come packed with quality and, for the most, locally sourced ingredients which give it a professional but home cooked feel to the whole experience.

I treated my parents to dinner in the Bull, my Dad is notoriously picky, and they loved the meal complimenting the chips as being better than my Grandmas!

A great place to be frequented.

2  Thank Nick B
Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

Booked at the Bull to try out their new curry club. Absolutely brilliant. The food( all cooked on the premises by the land lady) was excellent and as authentic as from my favourite Indian restaurant. A great atmosphere here also. We will definitely be booking for next months curry club.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

My husband and I ate here on our first night in Youlgreave as well as our last night in Youlgreave. The dining room is comfortable and the service is wonderful as well. My husband enjoyed his pints on both occasions and the food was well prepared and served hot. It had a very friendly atmosphere. On our first night we met a lovely family who were sitting next to us who gave us some wonderful suggestions of things to see and experience in the area. Definitely would recommend.

1  Thank chacha7602