“Very good meal”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 29 August 2017

The hotel looks unprepossessing but our meal was one of the best we had in Hathersage - excellently cooked liver, lots of vegetables which were not overdone, tasty panfried tuna and a good fresh salad. All served promptly with a smile and some good real ale. Unfortunately no room for a dessert!

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Awful food unfortunately the service is even worse I live in the Peak District. Avoid this pub / restaurant dreadful does not come close.

Waited over 1 hour 20 minutes for food to be fobbed of and lied to by the landlord.

2  Thank bobtheteeth
Stephanie B, Head Chef at Little John Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2017

Thank you for your review Bobtheteeth,

I am very upset to hear that your experience here with us wasn't to your standard. I would like to introduce my self as the new head chef at the little john having only started in the middle of this week. I am very eager to hear more about your experience here so that i can make the necessary improvements to the kitchen to cater for everyone's needs.
if you would like to contact me, please call me on 01433 650225.

kindest regards,
Tom - Head Chef

Reviewed 3 July 2017

came here a couple of times - once evening for beer - we had to leave as it really is pretty poor. There were six of us and we all agreed that we had to go elasewhere in search of something better. I returned for breakfast to watch the Lions match - had a quite wonderful bacon sandich - v high quality - and very nice and pleasant service. So it is a 5 for the breakfast , 5 for service and a 2 for drinks = 3 out of 5.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

Little John is more of a locals haunt than the other Hathersage hostelries but this didn't detract from the excellent meal that were we served with. We had a steak and a chicken burger both of which came with all the trimmings and proved to be delicious. My steak was done exactly as I asked - very rare - which is unusual as many so called good restaurants tend to over do steak no matter how you request it. The helpings bordered on the too generous side and we couldn't manage a pud! They offer daily specials and a very reasonably priced lunch time meal.

Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

Group of friends stayed for two nights, don't expect good food the room was ok and the staff were quite friendly

1  Thank davidmwall