All reviews steak patio doors sea view dog friendly hotel lemon curd great food sunny day pub with rooms cooked to perfection bird life evening meal wonderful view home made relaxing weekend pudding my partner duck
Reviewed 28 August 2018

We have returned to the Bay Horse now 4 times....The view from the bedroom is beautiful, calming and you can totally chill out.You have a small balcony to sit on and relax, it also helps you to meet other people who are sat out. Real friendly place.
Food is beautiful and fresh, breakfast isthe best we have had, we travel a lot and have never been disappointed with The Bay Horse. Evening meals and bar food is excellent.

Room Tip: The Front rooms have the beautiful views, and the staff are very friendly and accomodating.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2018

My hubby and I stayed 2 nights here last week .I booked here as a birthday treat[70th]for my hubby.We stayed the night before at a pub with rooms at Grange Over Sands,and after our experience at the Bay Horse wished we had stayed the whole three nights at the Commodore in Grange !We were checked in quickly ,room small and dated ,double bed,dated bathroom[orange towels!],selection of toiletries.Balcony [with beautiful veiws ]was actually a long shared[by 6 rooms] balcony so no privacy .I love dogs,but our stay was ruined by an inconsiderate owner walking her dog from 7am up and down the balcony,and chatting with the occupier [their friend or relative in the room on the other side of our room!Generally not very clean at all overall.Ate in bar first night,lovely lovely food!Second night ate in Conservatory.Beautiful food except for the summer pudding which was unbearably soggy and sour!Comments state expensive menu,but I thought the foodwas well worth the money.Breakfast was really lovely both days.Shame that we somehow felt it made us feel uncomfortable and lacked atmosphere.You have to say what time you will be down for breakfast,and the reason is that the housekeeper dashes into your room to make bed and change towels whilst you have breakfast!On our leaving day,TWICE the housekeeper barged into our room[NO KNOCK FIRST] to service our room before 8am!This is both unecessary and unacceptable! And unless you are staying at the Ritz WHY enter the bedrooms in the evenings to turn down the beds and draw curtains and put on the lamps???Bizarre!Wouldnt stay again tbhThis place needs dragging into the 21st centuryand fast!

Stayed: August 2018
3  Thank SandraFaulks
Reviewed 21 August 2018

The Bay Horse in Ulverston benefits from a beautiful view of Morecambe bay. The bar appeared cosy. The young lady who showed us to our room and the young lady who brought us a missing washbasin plug and missing towel were both lovely and very personable.
The bedroom was dated, 1970’s to 1980’s style walls and furnishings. Winter duvet - in August?? Small tv. Overall clean but the patio doors could have done with attention. The bathroom looked even older - coloured bathroom suite but white toilet seat/lid, black stained grout, old looking coloured towels etc etc. All in need of complete upgrade. The small balcony outside led past other rooms to the car park. Unfortunately, ivy growing next to our bedroom patio doors was home to lots of bugs, flies, and spiders and resulted in us buying a can of fly spray to deter them from keep entering the bedroom. The areas we walked past, outside the other bedrooms, didn’t appear the cleanest, had weeds growing and just looked generally neglected.
Breakfast was served in the, also neglected looking, conservatory by a polite but dis-interested looking lady. No pleasant atmosphere, no conversation. If working in hospitality, wouldn’t it be nice to be hospitable? It was an experience like no other- even down to having to specifically order cereal, fresh fruit etc - no “help yourself to whatever you like” area here!
Normally, comments like this would be discussed prior to giving a review but I didn’t feel inclined to bother when treated with total lack of interest.
The property is apparently up for sale.
With a large injection of money, care and passion - then in my humble opinion -this could be an amazing place.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank forgetthebull
Reviewed 14 August 2018

I had dinner with two friends and their children. We wanted the wonderful view which meant we had the a la carte menu in the conservatory.
My two friends had steak, I had lamb The meat was fine but the choice of vegetables poor - very evenly chopped tiny squares, obviously from a packet of frozen ready chopped veg and I had the same with my lamb. Fresh grilled tomatoes and mushrooms are the usual accompaniment to a steak and the same frozen veg on both dishes was lazy. My garden is bursting with courgettes and beans at the moment, surely something fresh and seasonal would have shown care and imagination for the price? My orange ginger sauce was orangy but no ginger, it could have been less like dark gravy. A homemade Yorkshire pud would have been a nice addition too, made it seem less like they hadn't cared hugely. The price at near £20 was £5 more than I pay in Penn, Buckinghamshire, an expensive county, for a similar meal with all fresh veg.
There aren't any other restaurants in the area, certainly not with the view so they have a monopoly, they could do with some competition to sharpen their act and change the menu which I understand hasn't changed for years.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

No more to add, disgusting..finding a bug in my baked potato salad just ruined my afternoon and i was left very disappointed. No excuses given either, definetly not a place to come back ever again......................

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family