“Excellent afternoon teas”

Davenports Tea Room
Ranked #18 of 134 Restaurants in Northwich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Awarded the Top Tea Room in the UK by the prestigious Tea Guild Inspectors. Seating up to 55 with 25 additional seating in the tea garden. The tea room is Alice in Wonderland themed due to being only 2 miles from Lewis Carroll's birthplace. A family business established in 1947 though the same family has traded in Northwich since 1928. Specialising in afternoon tea, with over 38 loose leaf teas and a wide range of artisan coffees, delicious home-made cakes and a good selection of delicious home-made light lunches. Themed events such as Mad Hatters Tea Party, Victorian Christmas and Halloween evening make even more special reasons to return. Booking in advance is highly recommended to avoid disappointment, but you can drop in for a tea and cake especially on a sunny day after cycle ride or a lovely walk.
Reviewed 2 July 2018

We had a really lovely afternoon tea, such a selection. Different levels of tea offered. Had a large choice of teas and scones, freshly baked. We were told who the local suppliers were which contributed to our afternoon tea experience. It was lovely weather so sat outside. They didn’t mind us taking a very long time over our tea. Staff were all so very friendly and helpful. Top marks to you all, look forward to coming again next time we are over in Cheshire.

1  Thank barrule24
DavenportsNorthwich, Owner at Davenports Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2018

Many thanks for your review and lovely comments. We too, look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

We called in recently having passed a few times and thought it would be nice for a spot of lunch. We walked in and sat at a table which hadn’t been cleared from the last occupants. We sat there for about 10 minutes. No one gave us eye contact, no Hello we will be with you shortly. Eventually one of the staff asked if the dirty cups and saucers were ours. We replied that they were not. She then came over and remove then - then wandered off. After a few minutes I asked for menus. We looked through them & decided what we wanted to order. The waitress then came over and asked if we’d finished with them and promptly disappeared with them. After sitting there for another 10 minutes, we decided we had had enough of being ignored. We definitely not be calling here again.

5  Thank Barb39
DavenportsNorthwich, Owner at Davenports Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

I am really sorry that you experienced this, there has clearly been a misunderstanding on both sides. Customers sitting outside normally would come inside for a menu and we will explain what is the procedure which is to be given a menu, to choose a seat and if none is available to let us know and we can take you to one inside, and then to come back inside to order as we only come to the tables outside to deliver unless we spot on the way back someone requiring assistance. Sitting at a table with used crockery would suggest that they are yours and that you've finished. Whoever took away the used crockery should have advised you of the procedure and whoever gave out your menu should also have given you the same information, so there clearly has been a breakdown of our system. We do not take orders outside as with seating 55 on the inside we can be delayed for any number of reasons and you wouldn't be unaware, which is why we ask customers to come in, then we know you're there and you know if there are any delays. I just wish that you had come in and spoken to us, so we could have sorted out the issue straight away. Thank you for letting us know. I will reiterate the importance of advising customers to avoid this happening again.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Our daughter in law recommend Davenports to us. So checked it out on the website thought it's worth a try. Was a bit different haveing to order your full breakfast the day before (it's only the full breakfast you order day before the other breakfast stuff you do not have to) well what a great recommendation it was fabulous.first the fresh orange so fresh lovely , unlimited homemade bread toast with homemade jams and marmalade lovely jubbly , the tea selection they have is absolutely amazing so extensive. Breakfast came sausage no crap stuff here the real McCoy, don't eat bacon but wife said it was decent bacon , the cherry tomatoes, the black pudding, the haggis, the smoked salmon,the beans ,free range eggs,the fried potatoes all cooked perfect served on a warm plate fantastic. Definitely be back what a place. Only shame was to early for the scones

1  Thank Kenneth D
DavenportsNorthwich, Owner at Davenports Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Thank you so much for your lovely review. Whilst all our products are important to us, our Full English Breakfast is very special and to know that you enjoyed it is very special too. If you do ever want a scone in the morning, let us know and we'll cook them especially for you. The varieties we do are Plain with a hint of Rose, Raisin, Cherry, and we also do a savoury option Cheese, sometimes with walnut and sometimes it is Stilton & Walnut. Many thanks and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Belinda, Ian and the team

Reviewed 18 June 2018

My husband and i visited through recommendation for breakfast and wow what a delight from the moment we entered to the time we left we were treated like we were the only ones in the place and that certainly wasn't the case. The attention to detail was second to none from the selection of the teas to what we wanted to accompany our toast it was a credit to all staff involved. The music playing to the surroundings took us back to the times of our grandparents and great grandparents and what a memory to reminisce . So much so we a have booked for the ever popular Mad Hatter's Tea Party on the 2nd September and the Halloween evening which is almost fully booked in June so that speaks for itself. Having visited many establishments throughout the world who try to supply something different one thing they all have in common is that you have to go with a relaxed and patient attitude. All i can say is go and see for yourself.

2  Thank Z939EDmarie

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fabulous review. I know you enjoyed your experience, but few write about it. Just coming back and recommending us to their friends and family is important, but once in a while it really is lovely to see something written. We all appreciate your kind words from Ian, myself and all of the team. We look forward to seeing you in September, first for our Mad Hatters Tea party and then for our Halloween Evening. I'm sure that you are in for a treat with both!

Reviewed 2 June 2018

There is a common theme running through the Average/Poor/Terrible ratings on trip advisor for this pretentious , cluttered and grossly over-priced and over-rated establishment
The common thread is that the owner is stroppy , confrontational and has a knack of humiliating her customers, with her acidic tongue with quick fire answers to genuine , sincere questions asked by customers .
Simple questions , such as , what are the cakes on offer today ? Are the cakes homemade ( in-fact it turns out , they are not homemade at all - one of the younger staff told me the cakes were bought in - fact !!) .
Would you have a menu available ? Can I have my drink of tea with my lunch at the same time ? This is because some people have their drinks 30 mins before the food arrives !!
All the above were basic simple questions , to which I expected simple responses , as you would in any other establishment when dealing with normal people.
Not this particular madam , however , all questions are answered in a sarcastic , confrontational tone as if customers are an inconvenience and in the way.
This high and mighty owner , used to be a school teacher I understand . The way she speaks to customers and staff in a humiliating manner in front of everybody else is truly embarrassing for all those on the receiving end.
May I remind you Madam we are not in school now , so please try and treat us like adults and please have a bit more charm and take a leaf out of your staff's book and try and be pleasant . If you dont want to carry on with the tea & cake business , then pack it in.
PLEASE DONT TAKE YOUR FRUSTRATIONS OUT ON US AND FOR GOD'S SAKE GET SOME MORE MENUS.
My main reason for leaving a review was because of your rubbish attitude. Nobody is making you work there , so stop blaming customers all the time , stop humiliating your staff in public . Put some name cards in from of the cakes so customers know what they are , so we don't have to take up more of your precious time to ask what the " bought in cakes are on any given day.
With regards to the food , The over-priced Ploughmans , only has 2 ( yes two) small pieces of cheese. Three pieces is usually the minimum . Maybe Madam want us to fill up onthe cheaper stuff such as biscuits / wafers / oatcakes , rather than providing an extra piece of cheese !
The tea is served lukewarm , even if the small tea pot is filled with hot water beforehand , it still arrives at the table lukewarm, probably because Madam has left it hanging around too long due to her chaotic way of working.
Get yourself some more staff to cater with the demand , because their is a disconnect with the service and lack of menus which leaves customers waiting for 30 minutes plus , for their order to be taken and then served up by madam in an unpleasant manner. There area where customers place their orders and pay their bills is the same place where the waitresses & waiters are continually coming in and out . It truly is an area about 8ft square , truly chaotic and reminds me of Manuel and Basil Fawlty !!

13  Thank AndrewfromChester
DavenportsNorthwich, Owner at Davenports Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

I am somewhat perplexed as to why your review was written in such a way 3 weeks after your second visit when we had a perfectly civil conversation on your second visit, no mention of any issue with the teas, food and no suggestion that I had upset you in any way. Equally I can not understand your further aggressive emails attacking my business and me personally. In fairness a week earlier you dropped in for tea and cake at a particularly busy point the previous Saturday when I was brewing at least 12 orders as my rack was full, and when advised that you wouldn't be able to order straight away, you questioned whether I had enough staff for the bookings I had and later on gave my husband advice on clearing tables. We are short of menus as we have had a number stolen and I haven't replaced them yet as they are expensive. On your first visit it did take a while for you to get a refund after you decided to cancel a cake off your order, but we rarely refund and as with any business only certain staff are able to do this on the till and as you saw we were all busy. We do clear tables as soon as it is practically possible, but on your first visit it wasn't possible at the time as we were prioritising orders. I choose not to spend time labelling cakes as they change so often and home-made does not have to be my home! With any business it is difficult to anticipate surges in demand and sometimes customers will have to wait, especially if they have not booked in. I do appreciate you pre-booking in on your second visit which you do not mention that you had your order within a reasonable time. As to the cost of our food and drink, we are priced according to the quality of what we offer. Whether you think it is expensive or not is subjective. The rest of your review relates to an analysis of every dissatisfied customer that we have ever had through the door who felt the need to write a review, but in fact as we record the numbers of customers we have had, you are basing it on 0.09% of our customer base. I'm not sure why you think that you can advise me how to run a tea room business, but I love what I do and the vast majority of customers as they keep coming back year after year must agree.