“ticks every box”
Review of The Old Red Lion

The Old Red Lion
Price range: USD 5 - USD 18
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Old Red Lion in Holmes Chapel is a local pub at the heart of the community offering authentic British cooking and a great selection of real ales
Reviewed 5 April 2018

arrived on bank holiday Monday with my partner..had the 3 course set menu with an upgraded steak and 3 pints of real ale 2 soft dinks all for under £40....................food was really superb.. hot, large portions well cooked and served by friendly staff..... fully recommend you visit.... nice ambience, friendly staff and quality food and drinks worth a trip..

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank 6266steve
General Manager A, Manager at The Old Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Hi Steve6266,

Thank you for such a great read. We are really pleased that enjoyed your visit here on Bank Holiday Monday!
Remember to download our Ember Inns App on App store or Google Play on your next visit to grab some loyalty points which includes Dining reward, Cask Reward and many many more!

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

James Crichton

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

As a regular to this establishment I cannot understand how frequently they run out of their standard drinks offering, both beers and wines!

I genuinely feel sorry for the staff, who are great, but have to continually make apologies that they cannot serve run of the mill drinks like Guinness or Pinot Grigio as management have not had the sense to reorder stock!

I am quiet honestly surprised by the rating of this establishment as whilst we would not personally eat there, you will not be there for very long before you witness people at the bar asking why their food is taking so long to arrive.

Ember Inns, get your act together and sort this pub out!!

1  Thank MEBX5
General Manager A, Manager at The Old Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Hi MEBX5,

Thank you for leaving your feedback with us.

Firstly, I would sincerely like to apologise and I can totally understand your complete frustration in these products being unavailable on your visit.

Due to a unexpected high volume of sales with both Guinness & Pinot Grigio over the past week, it did ultimately leave us unable to serve Guinness over this weekend, and unfortunately having no Pinot on Sunday. I do want to stress that this something I absolutely try to avoid, as I aim to please all our guests in our drink offering on a consistent basis, to which we had successfully achieved up until this past weekend. We were successful in ensuring Pinot was back available as of Monday. We did ensure we had a great Cask Offering as an alternative option to our Guinness drinkers including our most popular London Pride & Ember Pale Ale.

I have now ensured that as a precaution to avoid such a reassurance that we shall be ensuring that we have extra stock on our high demand products should we experience a similar pattern in product demand.

In Regards, to our wait times on food, we have recruited an energetic and high calibre Kitchen team lead by great Kitchen Manager to which our main agenda was battling those wait times on food to which we have successfully achieved quite well so I would really like to you try our food offering here and hopefully change your perception on this matter.

If you would wish to speak to me further regarding this, I would more than happy to do so.

James & The Team.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Took mum out for a day out had to wait a bit but it was busy and we were in no rush when food arrived it was great and the staff are very pleasant and helpful will be going again

Date of visit: March 2018
General Manager A, Manager at The Old Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Hi Adam!

Thank you so much for your kind review, we are so very pleased you enjoyed your visit with us. especially for such a special occasion as mothers day!

We look forward to seeing you soon.

James Crichton

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

I visited this pub for my Birthday one Thursday evening after receiving a recommendation by a member of my family. The pub provides lovely surroundings in the centre of Holmes Chapel. The food is also very good and at a reasonable price. Would certainly recommend it based on this.

My only bone of contention is that it took a long time for the food to arrive. It seemed that there was only a couple of staff members serving resulting in quite a wait. This seems to be a common pattern as I’ve had this instance in another pub in Holmes Chapel. But apart from that, it was nice food in a pleasant place.

Date of visit: March 2018
General Manager A, Manager at The Old Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for your review of our lovely pub!

We are absolutely thrilled to see you enjoyed your visit with us for such a special occasion, and pleased everything was to your satisfaction. We look forward to seeing you again really soon!

James , Steven & The Team

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

A delightful Dinner on Sunday evening with drinks. Good service with good food. A decent plate full of beef and other Sunday lunch additions. M

Hi Martin,

Thank you so much for your awesome review!

We are so very pleased you enjoyed your visit with us, and thrilled you enjoyed our Sunday roast offering. We have a fabulous new menu launching on the 21st, and with some great new summer addictions to enjoy!

We look forward to seeing you soon,

James, Steven & The Team