“Lovely town, but noisy hotel!”

The Kings Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Amersham
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely town, but noisy hotel!”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I was only staying in Amersham for one night to complete a volunteering day in a local youth centre the next day, so literally just needed a place to stay. I was quite looking forward to my stay as it looked like a quaint old hotel in a lovely town. The lobby area of the hotel is very pleasant and harks back to the medieval roots of Old Amersham, and the rooms themselves are more modern, but very nicely done

The biggest issue for me however was that due to the old nature of the hotel, you could hear everything going on in the rest of the hotel, from people coming and going in the night, to people going to the loo!

In the morning, the breakfast was good, and the staff were chatty and friendly, but I was still half asleep from having such a disturbed night. I don't know whether you can specifically request a quieter room, but if you can, then you should!

I had dinner at The Crown down the road, and this was absolutely lovely, I really couldn't fault it, and would definitely recommend.

Overall, if the hotel had been quieter then it would have received a much higher rating.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Rebeccallama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
scotland
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We had a great overnight stay at the Kings Arms. Lovely place to wind down with a G&T.
The staff were great, especially the guy at reception.
Breakfast very good and room was comfy.

Room Tip: We had a room next to the car park which has a gravel parking area, woke me a few times with cars co...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We stayed at the King's Arms for a long weekend. We stayed in the newer part of the hotel, but the pub and the lounge had such nice tudor charm. The full English breakfast in the morning was hearty enough that we didnt need to eat lunch. The staff was pleasant and accomodating, getting us taxis and giving us some information on transport to London and Windsor. The staff at the pub were fun and they made a great Pimms! Looking forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I feel disappointed by my stay at this hotel. I chose it because it looked so full of character and romantic. However that is just the front and not where most of the actual rooms are. You come out of the lovely old coaching inn into a car park and then enter a block of rooms closely resembling a travel lodge, totally generic, dull and not at all what I wanted. Our room was the furthest away and the key card did not work three times, each time I had to traipse across the car park again; very unimpressed. The room was very dark and very small and had a basement feel to it even though it was ground floor because there was a huge bank outside the very small window. Plus side was the bathroom was nice and the main hotel, bar and breakfast were lovely. Great town too, lots of nice shops and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Cumbria, UK
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I stayed here for one night when on business in the area. The hotel commands a fantastic location on the high street in Amersham Old Town, which means patrons can benefit from a wide array of local pubs and restaurants. This is vital after 18:00 on a Sunday afternoon once the bar in the Kings Arms closes.

I was given a room in the new annexe and, whilst the room was pleasant, I could have got a similar standard room at a major chain for much, much less (I was swayed by the character of the hotel on the website). The room suffered as a result of there being no air-conditioning and it felt like someone was shining a torch in my face all night from light from the corridor pouring under the door. That said, its off-road location meant it was really quiet during the night and the breakfast was cooked to order (this was really nice).

If I was travelling to the area again would I stay here? Probably not. Although the location is fantastic and it is really convenient for local amenities, I don't think I could justify the money.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amersham
0.1 km away
22.1 km away
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell

Been to The Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!