“Better than expected”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Amersham
Farnborough
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed overnight before a family funeral the next day. The room initially seemed cold and dark but it soon warmed up once we adjusted the radiator and it was actually quite quaint with it's beams and floorboards. The bed was very comfy and had lovely soft pillows and sparkling white bed linen.We had afternoon tea by the open fire - perfect for a cold February afternoon! The evening meal was delicious and the staff overall were very attentive. Long wait for coffee (40 minutes) but this was due to our waitress at that particular point in the evening suddenly leaving.However another very charming young waitress reassured us that our coffee would be soon be on it's way - which it was.Breakfast was brilliant with a huge range of food to chose from the table plus a cooked breakfast if you so wished.Not cheap but certainly worth the money. We chose this hotel originally because of it's location in regard to the crematorium but would chose it again as a lovely place to stay in it's own right.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LynPaul546

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
essex
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Stayed one night in the main part of the hotel, really old room, floors but creaky but full of character and beautifully furnished. Big comfy bed, brilliant powerful shower, loved it. Evening meal was very good, sitting by the open fires was relaxing, breakfast was fantastic so much choice, overall really high standard of everything, the staff are lovely, very helpful and polite a real credit to the hotel, will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank alisonp40
London
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We booked one night at The Crown for a family wedding which was being held there. The room rate was agreed at the time of the booking (£119) but when we checked in we were told that we had been upgraded and the cost of the room had increased to £149. We said we wanted the room at the originally agreed price as we had not requested an upgrade but we were told that this was the only room available we would have to pay the going rate. It was not appropriate to get into an argument with Reception at this point as there were other wedding guests waiting to check in. We found our room which was in the main part of the hotel - it was a bit of a trek but it was interesting as the hotel is full of 'olde worlde' charm. The room was a definite disappointment - it was small, dark and lacked basics such as a bedside table on both sides and a kettle (there was however tea, coffee and cups). The one bedside table that was there was smeared and sticky - didn't look good at all! The duvet had grey stuffing hanging out of it which I was horrified by. Hotels should replace bedding once it starts showing this degree of wear and tear. The bathroom however was a revelation - big, bright with a fantastic shower and an unbelievable selection of top quality toiletries - it was also spotlessly clean.
The food we had both at the wedding and at breakfast the following morning was wonderful - tasty hot and a very good selection. Which made up for the room a bit - but not completely.
Once at home I e-mailed the hotel to try and get a refund of the additional £30 we had been charged. I had still not received a response after a week so I sent another e-mail stating my disappointment and making the point that I was a regular contributor to Trip Advisor. Within 20 minutes I had a telephone call, an apology and a refund of £30. This I thought was impressive service.
Would we stay there again? Probably would not be my first choice in the area. Would we eat there? Most definitely - the quality of the food far exceeded the quality of the accomodation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank McPidd
David H, General Manager at The Crown Inn, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear McPidd

Thank you very much for reviewing The Crown Inn through Trip Advisor.
As part of a new management team here at The Crown Inn I am delighted to receive feed-back. Both myself and our new head chef David Hawkins are working hard to improve the offer here at The Crown Inn since our arrivial at the end of November.
Since your departure I have employed a new housekeeping team. The new team have worked hard since there arrival deep cleaning all the rooms here at The Crown. Furniture and throws have been sent out for dry cleaning. We have started a on going maintence and room auditing program which has stated at the begining of the year.
I have looked back into our reservation system and tracked the room you stayed in. New furniture has now been ordered, following your comments.
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the wedding breakfast that you had here at The Crown where you were celebrating a family wedding. All of the staff enjoyed looking after and caring for your family and there guest’s on that special day.
The Crown Inn is now in a period of refurbishment for its remaining standard rooms, I do hope that you will return in the very near future.

As for the rates both myself and the reception team are sincerly sorry for any inconvenice caused. As you have now spoken to the reception manager this matter has now been resolved.

Yours sincerely

David Hodson
The Crown Inn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

i went back to the hotel just after new year as there was a deal on, and my experience was alot better.
the staff were helpful, we had a lovely room and the log fire was kept burning.
really really enjoyed it adi would definitley go back there
i think that they have made some improvements

Room Tip: choose the main house
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pummy67
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Stayed here overnight for client meetings. Initial impressions on arrival was of neglect. Then experience of staff was poor, unhelpful and non attentive. Dinner would have been ok if sold as pub grub, but was simply mediocre for what they were marketing and charging for it. I was so glad that my company was paying for this and the room, which was again overpriced. When I took a walk up the High Street, I had a drink at another inn, perhaps 50 yards up the road. I wish I had been booked there and not here.
In summary, OK if your company is paying. However, if I was paying, then I now know there are much better choices within spitting distance.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank scholar656
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amersham
0.1 km away
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,696 reviews

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!