8,422 results
All reviews tapas restaurant italian guests royal grill lunch buffet margarita bar angel fish vera club la selva pool party playa del carmen jungle setting pool bar honeymoon package white sand usa transfers pillow menu junior suite
Reviewed 28 May 2016 via mobile

We stayed for a week in May 2016. This resort is quite unique as it has a lot of tropical plants and animals roaming around. There was a cenote inside the resort, which we really liked. The resort is quite clean and pleasant. The only air conditioned area other than rooms is the buffet restaurant that only opens for breakfast and dinner. Most of the staff are very friendly. The beach is very nice and is cleaned every morning but is not very wide. My wife enjoyed sunbathing and swimming topless at the beach. It should be noted that the beach does not have any man made shade at all. All shades are provided by coconut trees and sometimes it doesn't offer enough. There is a section of the beach for guests that paid extra to upgrade.

The beach has a fruit smoothie/drink bar that provided excellent drinks and service if you don't want any alcohol. The bartenders name I think is Wilberth and he is great at it so we would like to give him a thumbs up.

The resort has photographers around to help you take photos which you can purchase.

We did have an issue with a lobby staff offering free gifts and it ended up being a sales presentation for an vacation investment. We had been to a similar sales presentation at a different Catalonia which can be seen on my reviews and didn't want to go again. We even asked the lobby staff if this is some kind of sales pitch and he said its for returning guests. The sales people at the presentation probably thought we were after the gifts and one of them tried to lecture us saying we should expect something like this. Sorry lady, but we got free gifts without having to attend any sales meeting at Sandals when we returned as returning guests. We never used their gift in the end. A manager cleared up the confusion the next day so I wouldn't dock a star from this review.

The restaurants are pretty good but salty at times. If you want to cool down in an air conditioned place for lunch, there is no such option. They do have two restaurant by the beach so it's breezy while you are having your meal. There is a third beach side restaurant if you pay an upgrade. Overall the food choices are plentiful

The room is clean but the air condition is a bit weak. The resort does not use a towel card system for beach towels. They were supposed to be changed by staff during dinner hours if you leave yours in your room. There were days when ours didn't get changed so we had to call the front desk to have them changed the next morning.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay as the resort itself made up for some of the things mentioned above.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ReefDiving
Andrea F, Director General at Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you again for helping us to improve the Catalonia experience. We would like to thank the time you are taking to share your feedback. We are very grateful to hear that you had a good experience with us and that you enjoyed the services and facilities. Please be assured that your comments and suggestions will be taken into consideration and that we will do our utmost to improve wherever we can. Thank you again for the comments; we certainly look forward to your returning trip in the near future.

Regards

Reviewed 28 May 2016

This hotel is really nice, the grounds are well kept and very pretty. The beach is absolutely beautiful and complex is just the right size.

Our welcome was a little flat, the guy on reception wasnt very warm and seemed to get a bit frosty when we turned down the upgrade. The only reason I turned it down was because I was told pre holiday by the hotel that there were no upgrades available so I just felt maybe they offer them to new arrivals only to put you on the spot.

We got to the room which was nice and clean and the bell boy was really helpful when he delivered our cases. He checked the phone was ok, showed us the safe etc. The maids here a great and we always had a new towel animal every day.

The restaurants are all very nice except for the Mexican! We were so looking forward to it but left feeling very disappointed. Our favourite was the Thai restaurant which by day is the snack bar near the pool. Excellent by day/night and had the best staff, helpful and welcoming every time. The buffet restaurants have nice food but we preferred the Al a carte in the evenings.

The spa is lovely, my husband and I both had a massage which was heaven.

The thing that lets this place down is the entertainment team and the annoying photographers with the bloody bird and tacky props! I booked an adult only hotel so I really didn't expect to be spending my two week break trying to dodge an animation team. They were constantly asking us to play games, are we going to the pool party etc etc. It felt like a family hotel without the kids, this stole the MAGIC for me!
Don't get me wrong I'm not against these teams but why can't they just announce games over the mic or put up an itinerary list. I paid good money to spend quality time with my husband not to be intruded on numerous times every day being asked what we're doing at night, and do I want to play games, have a picture with a bird....... :(

And beware of the time share crew it really is a waste of two hours of your holiday.

If you love animation teams, bikini shots with birds and cheesy entertainment you will love this hotel. The rooms, food, drinks, location are all spot on.

The riviera Mayer is a beautiful location, but if we re visit it won't be to stay here. I would definitely pick something that really is geared towards Adults only and relaxation.

4  Thank Lyndsey B

Dear Lyndsey,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your vacation at our Resort. We regret that your stay at our hotel did not entirely correspond to your expectations. We highly value your observations regarding our services, as we believe that they are key to the continuing process of improvement. We hope this experience won’t stop you for giving us the opportunity to host you a treat you as you deserve.

Regards

Reviewed 27 May 2016

This is a little corner of paradise, gorgeous beach. Peaceful & relaxing. Staff so friendly & hardworking, wouldn't hesitate to recomend. Will definitely go back. In a good location for day trips to tulum one way & playa de Carmen. So much to do in the area from ruins to boat trips to see dolphins or fishing. Just remember strong mosquito repellent- they are evil!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Carie Jane G
Andrea F, Director General at Catalonia Royal Tulum Beach & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2016

Dear Jane,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your vacation at our Resort. It is nice to know that you had a spectacular trip and that you enjoyed our facilities and services. We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future; it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Reviewed 26 May 2016

We arrived at Cancun into a disorganised chaos, after being delayed at our home airport for a half hour, we thought nothing of such a short delay until we landed along with hundreds of Americans rudely pushing and shoving in every direction we thought it could only get better.
After arriving at our hotel the Catalonia Royal Tulum we were instantly transported into paradise , the check in was fast and courteous and our luggage delivered to our room promptly.
The room was clean and spacious and located in what can only explained as a jungle , our first morning we awoke to bird song and the sun peering out through trees, then it was breakfast. there was no rush we were escorted to our table of choice and directed to the buffet, the breakfast along with every meal we ate was superb hot a good choice and plenty of it. The restaurants were never crowded and you were led to believe that you had all the time in the world.
In past all exclusive holidays we have had you were only allowed to visit the al a cart restaurants once each per week but at the royal Tulum you can visit as many times as you wish.
We were often told by members of staff that if we were happy they were happy , so nothing was ever a bother to them so it seemed impossible to have even a bad day never mind a bad holiday. All in all this was one of the best holiday experiences my wife and I have had . The only criticism we had was the evening entertainment rather poor, but as we left a new restaurant-show building was just being completed which i am sure will improve things for the better .
Over all a great holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms looked out onto the trees with a pathway running from reception to the beach
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank matthewl629

Dear Matthew,

Thank you again for helping us to improve the Catalonia experience. We would like to thank the time you are taking to share your feedback. We are very grateful to hear that you had a pleasant and gratifying experience with us and that you enjoyed the services, the cleanness, the variety in restaurants, the amazing staff and facilities. Please be assured that your comments and suggestions regarding the animation team will be taken into consideration and that we will do our utmost to improve wherever we can. Thank you again for the comments; we certainly look forward to your returning trip in the near future.

Reviewed 26 May 2016

First Impression: Upon arrival at 2pm, we were able to immediately check in and were welcomed with a glass of cold champagne. We did not get the 'privileged' package and were provided a room in building 5- closest to the beach. Perfect for us as we are not about anything BESIDES the beach! We were not engaged or asked to discuss timeshare, Geovanni mentioned it but was not pushy. He was great- EVERYONE was great!! There's a bar right in the lobby area that makes phenomenal mango margaritas and really ANYTHING you want. I'm a Bacardi drinker and that is included- without an upgrade to privileged.

ROOMS: Any room you get in any building on any floor will have a jungle view, loved it, loved the wildlife, loved the rooms. The beds were SUPER comfy, I have no idea who would think they were hard. Pillows were fab- and I am PICKY. I have to have pillow top and latex (expensive) pillows. Maids were AMAZING, beach towels were awesome- we had no problems with room, towels, BUGS- oh- NO BUGS whatsoever. I mean- we did the norm- didn't wear perfumey stuff at night and sprayed all natural bugspray on before dinner. Literally maybe had one bite each the entire trip and we were out EVERY night. Humidity was low, temp was perfect. We stayed 5/10 to 5/17- PERFECTION.

WILDLIFE: Do not feed the coudamundi's- they are not native to the area and they reproduce quickly if they are overfed. They are eating all the native birds, lizards, etc. Yes, they are cute, but do not feed them. You can act like you have food and they will come up to you- leave it at that.

BEACH: I'm a DIVER, I'm an ocean lover, I'm all about the beach!! I could CARE LESS about pools, swim up bars, and pee filled areas like that. When I first seen the size of the waves I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get any good snorkeling/diving in on Riviera Maya. Boy was I wrong!! A few days in and the winds calmed down and we were able to snorkel way out past the ropes, there's coral reef right along the rope with BEAUTIFUL sea life. Buy a HD pair of goggles and get the latest dry snorkel- it is WORTH IT!! Seen a huge stingray, sea turtles, HUGE barracuda, lots of beautiful tropical fish. Even the windy/super high wave days were fun to get in and swim around. the beach has SUGAR WHITE sand and the most clear water I've ever seen. NO JELLYFISH- which I LOVED. You will have Jellies in Jamaica. Cozumel and Maya- never seen one in either place and I've been to Coz 3 times and Riviera Maya once. Huge benefit as I want to be in the ocean the majority of the time. There's an organic juice bar with swings right on the beach- it's AMAZING. Oh- and SEBASTIANA - our beach waitress- made sure we had a drink in our hand from the pool bar the entire time. We never even had to put a flag up- she'd just be there!! LOVE her!!!

ACTIVITIES OFF RESORT: Do the catamaran cruise - book with Mario at the front desk - it's between $90 and 110 per person and you get lobster, chicken or steak lunch on the cat cruise. When they park for you to snorkel- if you like to do your own thing stay around the boat and don't follow the mass. If you are as lucky as me you will see a spotted ray, two huge stingrays and a HUGE sea turtle in the most crystal clear dreamlike water ever. After a snorkel you get to play on the slide- don't go head first it hurts- not as close to the water as other catamarans. Then enjoy lunch and the cruise back- there's just something about rum punch on a catamaran. We also did the cenotes and akumal turtle adventure- do not do this. Get on a bus and go to akumal and snorkel on your own. It's $20 per person to do it instead of $100 per person- there's NO NEED to book this adventure. You can and will see lots of sea turtles at akumal as well, just do not kick, touch or follow them- turtles can drown- they need to come up for air and people stress them out. Just enjoy the view!

DIVING: There's a dive shop and free dive lessons right on site. If you are going to dive- don't do the cenotes. I'd snorkel them and get just as much value. In fact, I wouldn't dive in Maya- if you want to dive go to Cozumel- calmer seas. They have day trips over there- but there's enough snorkeling in Riviera Maya.

RESORT SET UP/EATING: Some reviews I read said negative things about the walk. I LOVED the walk, to the main center and to the pool/beach. Beautiful- it was as though we were walking the mayan ruins. Any room/building will have perks- so do whatever!

EATING: Tapas was my FAVORITE!!!! Loved the tatakis (chicken) and lots of other small plates. The brownie and steak at the steakhouse by the beach were my favorite too. Loved the lasagna at the Italian restaurant. DID NOT like the Mexican restaurant-just don't even try it- yuck. If you do- go to tapas after and get something you like. ONE of the best things about this resort is no reservations required- just walk in and worse case scenario you have to wait 20-30 mins and have free drinks while doing so. Oh poor us. :)

BARS: Two main bars- one in main resort welcome area and pool bar. All restaurants have bars too. Dalibeth in the main bar was the BOMB. She always made sure we were taken care of. Drinks were FAB- I just wish the soda was fizzy. What is it with non-fizzy soda in the Caribbean?? No biggie- with everything else being perfect who is to complain? Claudio the bartender is like Tom Cruise on Cocktail. He can fling bottles around like mad and he is always smiling. Oh- take a hundred worth of $1 bills and tip every drink. We drink like fish and came home with $20 in $1’s left. Get a $100 in 5’s too. Just because. Do not trade currency, American bills are fine- everywhere.

ITALIANS: This resort is sponsored by an Italian company, and they have reps there that do cater to the Italians. They also have regular resort reps (BARBARA- my favorite) who like Americans just as much. The Italians won't even look at you, and yes, the staff does wait on them before you. It is what it is, don't get butt hurt about it and just carry on enjoying the beauty and all the good people of this place. I got a little annoyed one night when an Italian couple walked into the steakhouse after we were waiting, but whatever. I would never allow one moment to ruin so many amazing things about a place. Oh- and they smoke like chimneys. Watching them light up was disheartening.

BOTTOM LINE: Go to this resort, and go now. Enjoy the trip!! I have no idea on transfers, we ended up paying $200 for both of us round trip from airport and had a private really nice VW - English speaking person to tell us about stuff along the way. I suppose you can do better but it was a deal for an hour plus trip from airport to hotel and we didn't have to wait for a shuttle to be filled!

WIFI: Awesome wifi- can't believe how good it was no matter where you were in the resort!!!

BATHROOMS: were phenomenal- all stone with a place to sit, the main attachment is rain shower and to convert the side one to get a full body blast just push up on the main stick thing. The water pressure is AMAZING!! we were in building 5- main floor. No bugs/ants running around like many other resorts we've been to.

12  Thank Jaci B

Dear Jaci,

We thoroughly enjoyed reading your very detailed and descriptive comment of your guest experience with us. We are so happy to hear that you had an excellent stay with us and that you enjoyed the beauty of the Caribbean. It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future; it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!