“My favorite massage spot in Costa Maya” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mahahual

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Akron Ohio
44 helpful votes
“My favorite massage spot in Costa Maya”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

Took the Royal Caribbean cruise to Costa Maya. My wife and I walked out to the taxi stand. We took a $2 (usd) taxi ride to the village of Mahahual. Also spelled Majahual pronounced (ma-ha-oo-ll)

Plenty of low keyed shopping, good food, great drinks, clean beach and cheap massages.

You need to ask several massage people their prices. The first one on the beach told us $40 an hour or $20 for a half. We finally saw a spot above a restaurant called El Faro. The girl told us $20 for a whole hour! Her name was Tere. We wanted to do a little shopping and explore more of the beach so we told her we would be back.

Each restaurant along the beach has cabanas with tables, chairs and lounge chairs on their own section of the beach. Most of them had massage on the beach to offer. After some light shopping and exploring we headed back to El Faro's. The restaurant is very clean inside with restrooms for customers.

We walked up a set of spiral stairs to a large enclosed porch over the restaurant. There were 4 massage tables ready to go. It was still before noon so my wife and I were the only ones there. We liked this better than directly on the beach. We had a great view with a bit more privacy.

Tere worked on my wife and Zenaida worked on me. I was a professional massage therapist in the states for 10 years and I can tell you these ladies knew their techniques.

Later my wife went snorkeling so I got another hour massage from Zenaida!! I was nicely relaxed by the end of the day. We finished our day by having Mexican beer and a large plate of the best nachos under a cabana close to the surf while we watched Zenaida's 3 year old daughter play in the water.

We can't wait to return there. Easy to find. As you have your back to the ocean and are facing the restaurants and shops El Faro's will be toward the far left of the beach.

A friend from the ship showed up and was having rotator cuff problems so we told him about our massage ladies. Another massage lady,Anna, worked on his shoulder for 1/2 hour and he came back all smiles!

15 Thank SandTravelAkronOhio
Mahahual, Q.Roo, Mx
“A good friendly restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2010

Whilst visiting this new cruise ship port in Mexico I came across a few good places. The dock was completed in 2009 after being destroyed by Hurricane Dean. The small town is now functional and has many things to offer to travellers here in mexico. This was a small fishing village which is now developing into a town. There are now hotels offering top class accommodation and restaurants along the boulevard. One restaurant in particular got me to go there repeatedly. This was the restaurant "LA MICA LOCA". Being on the boulevard one has the impression that this will be expensive catering to tourists. This came as a surprise that the prices are geared for the locals and relatively inexpensive considering the exorbitant rent needed to pay to have this establishment. The owner is Italian, Mica, and she makes her own bread, makes fresh pasta along with a lot of the local dishes.

Hotels of good standards are 40 Canones, Matan Kaan, La Posada Pacha Mama, Arenas and Hotel Arrecifes. Outside of the town is Maya Luna and Balamm Ku and a great restaurant called Travel Inn.

Baltimore, Maryland
136 helpful votes
“A tourist stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

Just came back from 15 days in Xcalak. Over that time, we made several 'day trips' to Majahual. Originally we came up to Majahual just to go to a grocery store & check out a jewelry store that we had heard about. Majahual was completely destroyed by hurricane Dean, and is still recovering. The main beach street of town has all the touristy shops & bars & tour operators that you'd expect to see, and the town has pretty and well maintained beaches. If you have a car, the beaches 20 kilometers north and south of town are deserted and beautiful. There are a lot of shells at the ones north of town. Remember that these beaches are wild, and are not 'maintained' or 'groomed', so you will find stuff that has washed ashore, and there is no food, water, bathrooms, life guards, etc. There are military patrols occasionally along these beaches. We spoke to several of them, young guys who were working on their English language skills. We found them polite and rather fun, but other tourists I spoke with found them intimidating. I guess that as a retired Army First Sergeant, I'm not uncomfortable around guys in uniforms with guns. The roads behind the 'main beach street' are full of construction projects and some places that can look a little seedy. We ate several meals at one place on the back street, a restaurant called the "100% Agave" , and it was great.

3 Thank Lbuggs
cincinnati
6 helpful votes
“What you need to know”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2008

Majahual may have been a remote village at one time, but today it is a cruise ship destination. It is rapidly being converted to handle the cruise ship drones and has a shopping district for cruise ship passengers only. However, once the ships leave, it is a quiet, peaceful place with some interesting restaurants and hotels. Maya Luna is a great place to eat and to stay, it is located just outside of town and only has 4 bungalows.
A lot of businesses are geared to the cruise ship trade, esp. one of the local dive shops, Dreamtime Divers. But, if you are willing to avoid the tourist traps, it is a great place to rest, sit on the beach or dive.

3 Thank betterscubaguy
San Diego, California
9 helpful votes
“Good Food in Mahajual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2008

We just stayed at Balamku (for my 30th birthday) for five nights and had a great time there and exploring Mahajual. There are two restaurants near Balamku, both run by Dutch couples. One, Travel Inn, has fantastic ambiance and good (non-Mexican) fare. The crowd is often from Balamku, so if you stay there it is a good place to meet your neighbors.

The second restaurant close by is at Maya Luna. Our meal there was one of the best meals I have had in a very long time. The
"chef" is actually a journalist, but I would never have guessed he wasn't classically trained given the extremely high quality of the food. Presentation was also great.

In town, there are a number of choices. For the best empanadas, go to Marea Alta. The meat, cheese, potato, and mushroom empanadas are something like $1 US each and are unexpecedly good. All the other places we tried in town (not on the beach) were also very good. There's one place (it's orange and on the left if you're driving south) with an especially good menu; it fills up with soccer fans on game nights since there's a tv. The places on the beach are ok -- a little overpriced.

By far, our best experience eating in Mahajual was at El Restaurante Paraiso. It's a little place, probably the first you see on your way into town from the north. It's a green building with a white and red hand-painted sign and ceramic parrots hung under the palapa roof. Owners Reggie ("Pancho Pantera") and Amalia are some of the most welcoming people we encountered during our trip. We ended up going there three times during our stay at Balamku. The first time, the good natured Pancho talked with us the whole time -- a delight. He made us a very good fish fajita dish, and ran across the street (twice) to get more beer since his inventory was low. The second time, we just stopped in for a beer and to chat (he still had Victorias on hand for us). And the third time I had a birthday lunch there. Alongside some of the best pickled peppers and green salsa in the yucatan, they served us a caldo (soup) de pollo (chicken), a whole red snapper, and a chicken dish. The food was so good, and the proprieters have so much heart that I wish I'd eaten there every day. Please, if you go to Mahajual, stop in and enjoy this place.

Another noteworthy stop is Aroma, which is on the northern end of town. Run by an Italian owner, it has the best coffee I've had outside of Europe, and the panini I tried was unbeatable. It also has a good cocktail menu; the place feels "hip" and you hear a lot of languages spoken there.

During our stay we were fascinated by the rate at which Mahajual is rebuilding. There is still a lot of destruction around, but it's offset by the relaxed environment and the "off-the-beaten-track" feeling one gets there. The people living there seem happy to see tourists around and are eager to please. I fear that in a few years it will again be overrun by cruise ship passengers, but for now it's a real Mexican experience.

3 Thank h0p_skip_jump

Been to Mahahual? Share your experiences!