See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 April 2016

This is not the Hyatt or the Hilton nor is it a resort where even the beaches are cleaned daily. This is a true off the beaten path destination and the perfect place for someone who wants to really unwind and get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. If you ar expecting 5star restaurants, shopping malls and lots of people around don't even bother. This place is not for you. It is for the adventurous types who want to get back to basics and unwind.

The first thing you will find out is that access is only via dirt road and is it buried in the jungle about 4 hours south of Cancun along the coast. Once you arrive the entrance is a huge steel gate, high walls and fences all around. These are to keep unwanted (human) guests out of the property. Privacy is a top item here. No one around but the staff/owners and the guests you came with.

The accommodations were perfect. We had access to air conditioning when we needed it. Ice is a bit of a premium but you can always travel into town (about 12Km) and pick some up each day. The staff keeps some on hand for the bar area. The meals were probably the best I have ever had. Each meal was set and the chef offered something a bit different each meal. All the food was perfect and way too much. We were all asking for less by the third day. It also provided a great venue to try new foods none of us had ever been exposed to.

The diving was top notch. On this particular trip I was the only diver so me and the dive master got to go out each day on our own. Much less stressful diving not having to worry about a big group. I got my souvenir sand dollars and a small conch shell to bring home and we caught Lion Fish each day. They were immensely abundant and on the hit list. I go to try some for lunch one day and it was really good too. The waters were clear everyday and visibility was at least 120 feet. Water temp was a mild 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Sharks, turtles, stingrays, grouper, and so many others too numerous to count. I did a total of ten dives while there and had a lot of great pics and videos to bring back.

The owners were the best too. Very friendly, easy to talk with, and very passionate about the resort and the environment it resides in. All in all, if you are will to put up with being cutoff from commercialized zones in Mexico and want a real getaway I would totally recommend this place. More than exceeded my expectations and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank Todd G
Reviewed 24 March 2016

We loved it! We weren't sure what to expect after the negative comment posted, but they were so wrong! Especially enjoyed the 'hidden away' feeling of really being in the Mexican jungle, yet right on the beach. We didn't do any diving but had a great time. There is plenty of exploring to do in the surrounding area, fly fishing, and visiting the shops in the town of Mahahual. For those just wanting to relax, hanging out at the estate pool was a great opportunity to do that. No big crowds like the large resorts farther north. The owners and staff were very focused on insuring we were comfortable and enjoying our trip. Food was excellent! We were able to dine on local cuisine all week. No worries about drinking the water, it is made fresh as the resort. Will definitely be back and recommend to other, divers or not.

Room Tip: All are great, all are quiet
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JB-Duma
Reviewed 6 March 2016

I was not sure what to expect so far off the beaten path, it was the most wonderful week's vacation I've had. Previously I spent a week in Cancun but it is overcrowded and too commercial. This is truly a tropical paradise on the beach. Very secluded and not ruined by the overbuilding and crowds experienced in Cancun. The owners and staff made us feel like we were their special guests. Fresh flowers in the room, fresh water with flowers to rinse the sand from our feet before entering our villas, a new experience every day for every meal. There were six of us and not an unhappy camper in the group. If you are looking for a place to get away, relax, and just enjoy a slower pace - this is it! Divers and snorkelers, remember the only reef that compares to this is in Australia!

Room Tip: There is no bad room. Because of the peaceful environment, there is nothing to 'hide' from!
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Lynda G
Reviewed 6 February 2016

Before posting this review I read several others thoughts and experiences.
Our personal experience was 5 STAR!
Amazing beauty, clear waters and wonderful food and staff.
From the beginning it was a resort like no other, truly a hideaway and place of paradise. This wonderful resort offers the diver and non diver the treat of a lifetime. Not only would I return but would highly recommend Maya Palms Beach Resort to all our friends and family.
Not sure why anyone would have posted anything negative, but some folks just can't be pleased and I'm sure nothing will ever make them happy.
As for me, and our friends we will return again and again. Make sure to put this on your bucket list. Amazing destination and truly a wonderful and the ultimate dive location. Maya Palms Beach Resort is off the grid and it is an very eco-resort that adds to the adventure of this destination.
Book your reservations to this ultimate destination....it truly is paradise. 5 Stars!!

Room Tip: Great food and beautiful dive resort.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank scubajackson
Reviewed 26 June 2015

My husband and I were very pleased with our vacation at Maya Palms. We were there the end of May through the first part of June. I was very nervous about the 4.5 hour drive through Mexico from Cancun to the resort (not a problem), and I don’t do well with heat and bugs. It was warm and humid but not unbearable and bug spray took care of the bugs.

The rooms were nice, clean, and spacious. Our room (bungalow 1) had 4 windows and a sliding screen door allowing a nice ocean breeze that kept the room comfortable and sleeping was not a problem. Although our room was one with an inverter, we never needed to use the fan that was provided.

As a non-diver (my husband is the diver) I enjoyed the many places that were available to relax and enjoy the view, with a variety of lounges, benches, rocking chairs, and hammocks. I also enjoyed my daily walks on the beach and the gardens. The beach does have a lot of sea grass because of the reef, but there were workers out there daily raking it up. The beautiful, well cared for gardens are nice and shady and I occasionally had one of the three resort dogs as a companion.

The meals are served family style with a set time and menu. I was pleasantly surprised by the food. I am a picky eater but I tried everything and found many new dishes to enjoy. I filled out my pre-trip meal form stating that I did not like fish, so the night fish was served I was served a delicious alternate meal which I was not expecting. Most everyone else seemed to enjoy the meals too, as there was talk of wishing they could get some of the recipes.

The divers from what I heard and saw pictures of, were able to see a large variety of fish, rays, turtles and eels along with all types of reef life. They were even able to spearfish some Lionfish which they took back and the kitchen turned into ceviche (at no extra charge).

If you are a “world traveler” and used to 5 star accommodations this is probably not the place for you. It is as they clearly state, an ECO resort in the jungle and off the grid. The water is R/O and tastes fine, the generators only run for a few hours at night so that is the only time for A/C and lights but we did not find this to be a problem. We were both amazed by what it must have taken to build this resort in the middle of the jungle, it is astonishing! The owners and their small staff were very friendly and always asking if we needed anything. We were very well taken care of.

We would definitely go back. It was everything we were hoping for and much, much more. Thanks Doug, Cathy, Ken, Buzz, and staff!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends