Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
19,011 results
All reviews lazy river sky bar mayan beach side ice cream parlour health bar el rancho hole in the wall a la carte restaurants fish the lion king time share quiet pool beach bar spider monkeys main buffet juice bar themed nights
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 April 2016

Prefaced with we were NOT at Spring Break.

Without question the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The grounds and sea are gorgeous. The staff is top notch no question. The safe no longer costs $40 to use and the internet (extra charge) worked great in our room.

Everything else was absolutely awful!

This was a short 3 night stay. Had we been scheduled to be there a full week we would have cut our losses and gone to a new hotel. This place is rated as a 5 STAR!? I would call it a 3 star at best. My husband says 3 1/2. It was a lot like staying at the Luxor or Excalibur in Vegas. The majority of the resort looks as if it was built in 1993 and has not been updated since. I will put aside my personal distaste for the decor or orange sponge paint and settle on things I am sure no one would like.

The ceiling in the entire bathroom area was rusty and just looked dirty. The knob to the shower fell off the first time we used it. Every time we flushed the toilet I was sure the plastic flusher was about to break off. There were cracked tiles all through the room. The beds were comfortable enough, especially for Mexico and the room was huge which was nice.

The walls were so thin we could hear every chair being moved in the rooms around us. We could actually hear the toilet flush next door! I feel a bit like I now know what it would be like to live in a dorm room as a fully grown adult. On our first night we had to call security on the room next to us. The argument that had gone on for over an hour had escalated to the point that we were concerned it would turn violent. Especially since we could hear the woman sobbing. This quieted down around midnight thankfully only for us to be awoken at 5am by some drunk man banging on our door then again at 7:30am by a staff member who was at the wrong room looking for a friend.

Every single night of our three night stay we had to think of calling security on fighting people, on screaming drunks, on the music that started blasting in the room next door at midnight every night. I'm not asking for much but I sort of expect my room far far away from the bars and nowhere near the disco to be sort of quiet after midnight. I could not believe how thin the walls were.

In the main lobby bars we saw arguments come close to blows being thrown. We saw people throw drinks at people and break glasses. Like I said, this was not spring break.

Then there was the food. It was bad. Like really really bad. I know it is a resort and a buffet and they are catering to the masses so things are usually on the bland side. We ate breakfast and lunch at the main buffet and the steakhouse buffet, dinner at the main buffet, and dinner at the Brazilian restaurant. Everything was watery and incredibly bland. Nothing seemed to have any seasonings at all. At the Brazilian restaurant I didn't eat more than a single bite of anything but the chicken. It was all so overcooked it was like chewing on sawdust. The chicken was juicy though mostly flavorless.

I am sure I could go on and on but this is the result of me trying to focus on the positive. The main pool was a blast. Great bartenders and a lot of fun folks. I loved that I could be at the swim up bar and in the shade all day by moving around.

Long story short (sort of); I would never consider staying here again and would warn all to avoid. :-(

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
8  Thank amallen
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2016

Hi amallen,

I appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion regarding your vacations at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Thank you for highlighting our well kept grounds area, our friendly staff, the internet service, our beds and spaces at our junior suites that as you said are bigger than other rooms of similar resorts.

On the other hand, I am really sorry and I have to say it is not pleasant to hear comments where we can see our guest´s dissatisfaction. I am deeply sorry to see that we could not meet your expectations, I have taken the proper notes about the comments in your review and passed to each manager in order to take the corrective measures.

I hope you will give us a second chance to restore your confidence in Grand Sirenis and show you why we are a great place to holiday in mayan riviera.

Carlos Batani
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 20 April 2016 via mobile

Grand Sirenis was over priced and out dated. We were first givin a room with no privacy window in for the washroom just an open wall ( we have 2 boys ) we were then moved to a different room that had privacy glass in place of the hole, in this room the air conditioning did not work.. That was fixed shortly after, my mini fridge also did not work and that never did get fixed I had to use the sink as a ice chest, the following day at the beach we asked for our beach towels, we were told that we never took the ones in the first room we were assigned so we couldn't have any and it was out fault cause we never took the first ones. The following morning I went to make our dinner reservations well nope sorry sir we have no avaiablilty for anything I asked for again I was informed it was my fault for not making them the very first day. At this point I explained my frustration with everything that had gone on and I was told quote " sir I think you should go to the meeting and become a Sirenis member so next time when you travel you don't book through Transat you book directly through the hotel. you will get much better service." Well I explained that no matter who you book through we were paying customers and the service should be the same! I don't think Transat having this being one of there signature resorts would like that they are trying to remove them as a middle man. He still suggested that I take the 2 hour presentation and so did all the other concierge for 5 days straight. the hotel over all is extremely dated and not well kept up, everything looks wonderful in the dark I'll admit. Out side our patio on the ground was littered with cigarette butts and poptins. Beds were ok, but nothing special pillows were like small bricks which made for linked necks every morning, there was no hot water for our jacuzzi so baths were completely out of the question for anyone. Now with all the negative that I experienced I did find relief with tasty food at the buffets with lots of options, shuttle service was never a problem and longest I waited was 10 mins, staff for the most part were very friendly throughout the resort pools were clean and nicely laid out drink service was great and did a wonderful job keeping you topped off, and the beach although the sand was rough it was very beautiful and the cove was wonderful for snorkelling a true reef at your disposal kids loved exploring and swimming.( but you need water shoes 100% ) poisoness sea enchants are very common we seen lots. The other great thing is the spa it was wonderful from the facility to the staff a true 5 star spa. Unfortunately the dauphin tanks were next to it and they are extremely small it was an absolute sin to see these beautiful creatures in such small tanks. All in all I would say this is a 3 star resort for Mexico resort standards.

My wife and I would return with the kids just for the beach and food if the price was right but we would never pay what we did the first time. This was purely a vacation for our kids as we stay a lot in Mexico and know what to expect.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Rbiddulph
Reviewed 20 April 2016

My husband and I and three kids (14, 10 & 8) spent 10 nights beginning March 30th. It was amazing and we'd definitely return as there was so much to do at the resort. I had read countless reviews before coming and had some fears, but we came with realistic expectations and were generally very impressed.
I had asked for the building at the end of the pool or building 17; we got 1727 which was very near the pool and on the second floor (not musty-smelling). It was a great size and suited our needs perfectly. Housekeeping was great.
We loved the snorkelling here-would usually go twice a day (bring your own gear if you want to go outside rental hours!) and saw many creatures including turtles, stingrays and lionfish. My husband even saw a spotted eagle ray once in the bay and has pictures to prove it! We had been worried about "red flag" days but you can certainly snorkel and bob on the waves-the wind is a bit higher, but we didn't notice any undertow that we'd been worried about before arriving.
We did take a collectivo to Akumal to "swim with the turtles" -worth it, but there is a lot of pressure to rent a lifejacket and pay for a guide. Walk on by, if you bring your own gear the beach is public and you can snorkel outside the roped areas (turtles don't know the difference!) We also snorkelled at Xel-Ha (that place is awesome) but I'd have to say that the snorkelling on site at the hotel was the best of the three places.
We took turns and did one dive each, through the resort. It is so convenient with the dive shop right there, and even though they offer boat trips to dive off Cozumel, my site offshore was about a 5 minute boat ride so I was back with the family in no time. Good clear diving with lots and lots of fish, but sadly the coral is not what is was 20 years ago!
Sea kayaking was fun, but no stand-up paddleboards; we were told they used to have some but guests would break the fins on rocks and coral that can be very close to the surface!
We loved the beach, there is a large area with a sandy entrance and we didn't notice much of the dreaded seaweed so many people write about! OK, there was a bit, but it's kind of plasticy-feeling and not slimy and gross. And we did notice hardworking fellows collecting it with a smile. Not a big deal.
Awesome soccer on the beach; it seemed that at about 4:00 every day the boys (mostly just boys) aged 7-12ish would gather and have a great time. That was one of my 8 year olds' favourite parts of the trip. (Same boys are in the lobby playing pool and foozball in the evening!)
Food: it seemed like you're just going from meal to meal, which is great and such a luxury not to cook or even pour a drink. We loved the buffets and found lots of choices. Did not tire of them. Especially loved the fresh cheese, smoked salmon, fish, chips and guac, picco de gallo, etc. They do chicken beautifully. Thanks to Luis at the main buffet; you took wonderful care of us and we appreciated your great service!
Weren't so impressed with the beach BBQ; the lines at the bar for the food are long, and this seems to be the only place you can't serve yourself! So you have to wait to be served from about 5 trays. And they're almost always out of chips for your guac there. That's if you don't want burgers and dogs from the BBQ-and steak, which we loved at first but yikes; it's undercooked!! My husband got sick and I'd bet that it was the steak...that ruined a good 24 hours for him, but he recovered.
We ate in the Brazillian restaurant (OK, we weren't very hungry!), the Steakhouse (better-really good, thanks Tomas!) and the Japanese (amazing!). We're still talking about how good the Japanese restaurant was...even the kids... Thanks to Executive Chef Antonio!
Loved the coffeehouse, ice cream bar (would really love to see coconut ice cream please!) and the smoothie bar. Aure is so lovely there; take a banana from the breakfast buffet and she'll do you a custom smoothie.
The pools are great; we did not partake in the entertainment much but the staff are wonderful and the pools are well-maintained (not the bathrooms, too wet-unsafe). Loved the snacks they put out late afternoon, too. Not too hard to find a good chaise at the pool (or the beach) no matter what time of day, we found. The kids loved getting their own drinks at the pool bar.
We loved the lazy river, loved that the "market" comes to the hotel every few nights (thus didn't miss not going to Playa del Carmen) played tennis once as we wanted to experience it all, and saw the dolphins which was great. Didn't love having to pay for internet (previous reviewers are right; a five-star should have this included!) but we had a great overall experience and would recommend it highly. Also appreciated that the buffet is open so late as we arrived hungry on our first night.
Thanks everyone for a great vacation!

Room tip: 1700 building, 2nd or 3rd floor!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank suzyleslie

Hotel:

Service and staff were amazing here. They followed up with every request. Even for room service they called to ensure it was exactly what you wanted.

Room:we were placed in the Naab building at first. It would be good for someone who wants to be close to everything.but we found it too loud to be near the pool so we moved to ikaban which we found to be much better and we could enjoy more of the jungle and wildlife.

Beach: there were multiple types of Beach entrances -some rocky some not. It was worth it to bring watsr shoes & snorkel gear: turtles, fish, sting rays etc (the far north part of the beach )

Bars: Mezcal lobby bar. Thank you to Jose who always had our morning drinks ready with a smile. Samuel, clemente and Lalo always helping us out late into the night. You were all such a pleasure and always knew what we wanted.

Food:

Nice assortment and display, every staff member had such pride -always adjusting tongs and displays to make everything look amazing. Great food too ! Thank you Adela for the excellent service.we tried the steakhouse, Mexican and Italian a la cartes- all of them were great. The steakhouse was probably the best.

Hotel grounds:

Amaculate- great job to the gardeners who keep their flowers and gardens so clean and pretty. It was nice that there were 4 nature paths right on the hotel grounds.Tons of wildlife around -iguanas, coatimondie, serequese, coons. Even if your room is "far" from things it's always an interesting walk.

Snack bar:

Always had wings, fries, chips, guacamole, salad , and a self dispensing fountain pop machine.yum.

Room tip: Naab:we were put there first and found it a bit loud over the pool. Switched to Ikaban=Amazing
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank tankgirl243
Reviewed 20 April 2016

We stayed at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Beach Resort ans Spa last July for 2 weeks. The hotel and grounds were excellent, very well kept and spotlessly clean. The beach was very disappointing, you couldn't walk into the sea as it was very rocky and full of seaweed. The pools were lovely as was the lazy river. Food was very average in the buffet restaurants and worse in the gourmet restaurants. I'm not a fussy eater but some nights we just walked out as there were no tables free and nothing that I wanted to eat. The wildlife was amazing, we used to take cake and bananas to the beach and feed the Raccoons, they were so cute and funny! I was also sick for a few day as we're a lot of other people we spoke to. Mexico is a fantastic place to visit I just wish we had read more reviews and picked a different t hotel.

Room tip: Sea view is a must - beautiful view of the ocean and wildlife
Date of stay: July 2015