“Amazing Vacation ...”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Ladysmith, Canada
“Amazing Vacation ...”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This is my second visit to the Gran Bahia Principe Coba Resort on the Riviera Maya. I travelled with my daughter once again. We had an amazing vacation. Weather was perfect, humidity was 65% in March. We travelled here last August, humidity was 100%! There were alot of spring breakers here at this time of year, but because the resort is so big it didn't feel crowded.
A couple of issues - the beds are hard. We spoke to our Sunquest Rep on the 2nd day and voiced our concerns, he assured us he would look into getting us a softer mattress pad. Never happened. We asked for 4 bath towels every day - some days there were 2 or 3, and no hand towels or face cloths. One day, no bath mat. Also we came back to our room one night and the clock radio was blaring. We had never used the thing so found it odd that it was even turned on. I paid to use the safe while there. I think the safe should be included in the room price! I feel totally safe in this resort even walking from the Coba lobby back to our room quite late, we still felt very safe.
The resort is huge and we travelled from Coba, to Akumal to Tulum to Sian Ka'an on the trams that run very frequently.
We were in Villa 10 this time, close to the Jacuzzi pool, the snack bar and the main pool where all the entertainment and activities are.
We usually ate our breakfasts at the Kukulcan buffet, then headed back to the main pool, or to Coba beach. There was a bit of an issue with chairs at the pool. We were up at 530 AM to stake out our chairs and stayed there all day. Some people had put towels out before 530 AM and never returned to use their chairs. There should be some sort of enforcement on this! We also used the pools at Akumal and Tulum.
Chairs were never an issue at Coba Beach. We managed to get chairs in the shade between the Akumal resort and the beach. The bar is close by. So is the tram. There is stretching on the dock, and water aerobics every day. I took my own snorkel and mask this time. Water is warm and there is a great amount of underwater life to see.
I got hold of Felix a couple weeks before our vacation, and booked our a la cartes. This time we ate at Don Pablo - it was ok. The Tequila restaurant, which we didn't like at all, and Mikado's restaurant. We ate here twice, both times we had a show table. Very similar to what we have in Canada. Our table was all Canadians both times, people from the east coast to us on the west coast! Food was very good.
We shopped for souvenirs at Coba, Akumal, Tulum, Sian Ka'an and the Hacienda Dona Isabel. We didn't do any excursions this time. My vacation is for relaxing, soaking up the sun, enjoying the beach, meeting new people, and having a few drinks. We did go to the Hacienda one night after the show for a few drinks, and then to the Disco.
We went to the Mexican Fiesta. We had seen this before, so we played the games, won 5 bottles of tequila and didn't stay for much of the show.
A shout out to Sergio! What an entertainer he is and so full of energy. From participating in activities all day long at the pool, and soccer and volleyball, to the Terrace Party in the evening outside the Coba lobby, then the shows after that. He's a very hard worker, very friendly and helpful. Well done Sergio!
Also a shout out to Sofia - very friendly and helpful as well, and full of energy!
Would I return to this resort? Of course I would! Hoping to return in the fall of 2012.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Ladysmithgirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,664)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Excellent place to vacation!
We stayed for 4 bites and absolutely loved this place. The service is amazing, the things to do are varied and fun. I am planning to go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank dojei
danvers ma
Reviewed 20 May 2012

my husband and i just returned from a 15 day vacation at the grand bahia principe coba. this is our 3rd time to mexico 2 times at the bahia. we booked our trip as always through expedia and no problems at all. in fact we got an upgrade to golden and no charge for the safe. the resort itself is amazing. the staff there work very hard to make your vacation a great one. staff is very friendly always smiling and there for you if you need anything. the entertainment crew is amazing always getting you involved with activities throughout the day. they work very hard and long hours. you would never think that they would have so much energy for the hours worked. they too are there to answer questions or direct you to who can answer the questions. my favorite person throughout the resort is felix. he made sure our vacation went smooth. all of our alacartes and room request were granted. i guess may is a slow season for the resort. not to crowded and plenty of lounge chairs by the pool. the resort is clean never anything on the ground that don't belong. if you smoke there are places to put out your cigs all over the resort
there is no need to place them on the ground. restaurants are very good and again clean the buffet has a tremendous amount of food for everyone you will not go hungry we meet people from all over canada, england and of course usa the shows are great we loved the gala show so many beautiful costumes the trams that run throughout the resort are wonderful if you dont feel like walking just wait a minute a ride will come they will take you where you want to go no problem we wont forget the maids that clean the room and leave towel animals everyday also the person who stalks the fridge everyday if you need something just ask again our stay at the bahia (coba) only gets better and better. we dont want to go anywhere else we know what we are gonna get when we arrive again thanks to all the hard work and effort the staff puts in to make the bahia a wonderful place for vacation

Room Tip: we always have a 2nd floor room we love the views
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank redhead5362
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We went to The Gran Bahia Principe Coba for 12 wonderful hot days from April 22-May 4, 2012. This was my second time there. I was there 4 years ago, at the same time of year, by myself and loved it. Was I happy with my whole trip? Not completely.
First I have to say The Gran Bahia Principe Resort was wonderful. The grounds were beautiful. The employees were very friendly, especially if I looked happy. Send out happy feelings and you get happy feelings back. Everyone that I encountered tried to help when I asked for it. Unfortunately the resort is so large that not all messages or requests were granted. For example When I first visited the resort I remembered the bed was very very hard. When I got home I read in the reviews that other guests had called the front desk and asked for a mattress pad. So when we arrived at the resort this year. When we checked in I asked the front desk if we could get a mattress pad. He said yes sure thing. It never came. 3 times we asked in the first 3 days of our trip. Sadly nothing ever happened. We even asked one of the Privilege member salesmen to help us out with it. He said sure thing. Never happened.
Another thing that saddened me. I am sorry to share this but I feel I need to. Its kinda gross so sorry if I offend anyone. In our room, above the bath tub, in the corner near the taps there is a ledge that goes around the tub. Well in that corner from a previous guest. There was dried brown spit (like someone chewing tobacco) on the wall in the corner. The maids never cleaned it off before we moved in. We were there for 12 days on day 8 I put a can of pop on the ledge under the soap dish. With full intentions of drinking it, but didn't open it. The next day that can of pop was placed in the corner where the dried spit was. I thought that was gross but thought at least I don't have to look at the spit. Earlier that week I tried to spray it off with hot water, but it was hard. Anyway I let that go. The next day after the maid was there. I have an electric tooth brush that stands on end. I brush my teeth in the shower. It was over by the towels at the other end of the tub. Well after the maid left that day my toothbrush was stuffed in the corner behind the can of pop. I was mortified totally grossed out. So I went to the front desk and spoke to a kind man named Manual. Showed him pictures of what I found in my room, as well as all my other complaints that I kept to myself until now. 1) the chambermaid took our ashtray and did not replace it. we asked many times from the front desk to get another one. never happened. our neighbors gave us theirs. 2) 2 times we had the air conditioner leak enough water onto the floor we used to trash can to catch the water and our beach towels to mop up the floor. Again I went to the front desk to get someone to clean up the water. No one ever came. 3) On morning 8 at 8:00am the alarm clock goes off. 5 days earlier I set the clock for 6:30am because we were going on a trip. we never used it after that. Who set it to go off? I wake early but the man does not get up until 11:00 was this the maids way of getting him out of bed so she could clean the room. Crazy when we returned to our room that evening someone unplugged the clock. So we had no idea what time it was. We tipped $4 to our maid everyday under the pillow. The room was tidy when we left. Why did this happen to us? We would leave extra tip money in the fridge because we only got 3 dos equis xx for the first 2 days we got 4 instead of 3. it did not matter if we tipped more or not. one day they took the tip and left only 2. extra tipping does not help. After the toothbrush thing I was mad. I went to the front desk told Manual everything. I showed him the pictures I took of the bathroom. Told him everything and stated that I was not happy with the maid service. He told me that a Manager named Luis would talk to me later, but it never happened. Manual was able to comp the fee for my safe. A small gesture for my complaints. It was appreciated but I would have liked to have spoken with the manager about all the issues I had.
Secondly the other complaint I had was for Air Transat. The brochure makes it look like you are getting more than the other travel companies. like calling it Golden Club well half way through our trip the Golden Club closed for the season. Checking out was confusing, our lounge was closed so we had to go to the main lobby. The only thing I see differently with the Golden Club was the extra ale carte there was no garenteed reservations and some restaraunts were closed after May 1. I will not travel with Air Transat again I felt they were the greatest let down of all, most broken promises. There is no special treatment.
Thirdly since I am complaining. If you happen to go to Xplor Buy your pictures there. We were told we could buy them on line for up to 15 days. so we waited until we got home. as it turns out they are only on line for 7 days. 15 days if you purchase them there. our holiday was 12 days when we got home to purchase them they were already deleted from the system. we lost that whole trip from our holiday pic. So Sad. Oh by the way if you go remember lotsa walking lotsa walking. but worth every minute of it.
Now complaining over. I love this place! So much. Before I came back I read about the Privilege Membership salesmen in the lobby. Other guests called them timeshare people. for 3 days we avoided the like the plague. Then finally one night after to many Dos Equis I stopped and talked with Eduardo I tried to get him to get me a mattress for my bed and more beer in my fridge. If I did his 90 minute thing. He said he would try. We did the presentation the next day, and well we never did get the things we asked for. and a few crazy things transpired from that, but I don't need to go into it. Lets just say they are not all that truthful. Anyway we go, we see, we like, we buy. The sales pressure was hard push. I was very unsure about what we did. There was no time to think it over. Now or never kinda thing. I understand now why they do it. If given the chance to google it and research. We would not have done it. in fact after I got hame and started to read about what others said. We would have never purchased. But we did. For the rest of our holiday we got to use the club cars (yes that alone was worth it). I cannot wait to go back as a privileged member. I did not buy a timeshare. I bought 1st Class. I am not sorry at all.

I had a bad experience. It was the fault of one individual not the resort. The broken promises were made by a company Air Transat that did not back up their claims, not the Hotel.
I have made friends with some of the employees. and had fun with others. I especially wanna thank the 2 ladies that braided my hair. a very long 4 hours to do. I have a lot of hair. While they were braiding they sang. The young lady Luticia I think was her name sang a love song I'm sure. I was beautiful. Then the older lady joined her in song. Truly a moment I will remember for a long time. That is stuff you can't buy. I also love the animals that I saw on the resort. I have never seen before. The beach was awesome and the employees work so hard. The food was good, sometimes cold. The buffet was huge. By the time you filled your plate and got to your table. Your dinner was cold. The cook to order was the best for a hot meal. I cannot wait to check out all the other GBP in the world. I am a member now so I have reason to travel. When I get through all the resorts. I will Check out the others that RCI offer. I am a happy traveler. Even though there was some bad. There was a whole buncha great!!!

Room Tip: I have stayed on the outside corner on the 2nd floor very private. and on the 3 floor in the middle...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tina K
Grafton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Our first visit, was a little scared about the food after reading reviews but the food was great, lots of choices. Service was excellent in the ala carte restaurants. Dont know why they let kids in the ala carte restuarants,.don't know why people take small kids on vacation, seems like alot of work. anyway, snorkeling nea the beach wasn't good so went to Akumal beach and lagoon, Its only 5 minutes by car from the hotel. Felix was always there to help.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shelley0513
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
231.2 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
231.2 km away
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
267.9 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
249.6 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
238.8 km away
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
240.2 km away
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Coba? Share your experiences!