This is my second visit to the Gran Bahia Principe Coba Resort on the Riviera Maya. I travelled with my daughter once again. We had an amazing vacation. Weather was perfect, humidity was 65% in March. We travelled here last August, humidity was 100%! There were alot of spring breakers here at this time of year, but because the resort is so big it didn't feel crowded.
A couple of issues - the beds are hard. We spoke to our Sunquest Rep on the 2nd day and voiced our concerns, he assured us he would look into getting us a softer mattress pad. Never happened. We asked for 4 bath towels every day - some days there were 2 or 3, and no hand towels or face cloths. One day, no bath mat. Also we came back to our room one night and the clock radio was blaring. We had never used the thing so found it odd that it was even turned on. I paid to use the safe while there. I think the safe should be included in the room price! I feel totally safe in this resort even walking from the Coba lobby back to our room quite late, we still felt very safe.
The resort is huge and we travelled from Coba, to Akumal to Tulum to Sian Ka'an on the trams that run very frequently.
We were in Villa 10 this time, close to the Jacuzzi pool, the snack bar and the main pool where all the entertainment and activities are.
We usually ate our breakfasts at the Kukulcan buffet, then headed back to the main pool, or to Coba beach. There was a bit of an issue with chairs at the pool. We were up at 530 AM to stake out our chairs and stayed there all day. Some people had put towels out before 530 AM and never returned to use their chairs. There should be some sort of enforcement on this! We also used the pools at Akumal and Tulum.
Chairs were never an issue at Coba Beach. We managed to get chairs in the shade between the Akumal resort and the beach. The bar is close by. So is the tram. There is stretching on the dock, and water aerobics every day. I took my own snorkel and mask this time. Water is warm and there is a great amount of underwater life to see.
I got hold of Felix a couple weeks before our vacation, and booked our a la cartes. This time we ate at Don Pablo - it was ok. The Tequila restaurant, which we didn't like at all, and Mikado's restaurant. We ate here twice, both times we had a show table. Very similar to what we have in Canada. Our table was all Canadians both times, people from the east coast to us on the west coast! Food was very good.
We shopped for souvenirs at Coba, Akumal, Tulum, Sian Ka'an and the Hacienda Dona Isabel. We didn't do any excursions this time. My vacation is for relaxing, soaking up the sun, enjoying the beach, meeting new people, and having a few drinks. We did go to the Hacienda one night after the show for a few drinks, and then to the Disco.
We went to the Mexican Fiesta. We had seen this before, so we played the games, won 5 bottles of tequila and didn't stay for much of the show.
A shout out to Sergio! What an entertainer he is and so full of energy. From participating in activities all day long at the pool, and soccer and volleyball, to the Terrace Party in the evening outside the Coba lobby, then the shows after that. He's a very hard worker, very friendly and helpful. Well done Sergio!
Also a shout out to Sofia - very friendly and helpful as well, and full of energy!
Would I return to this resort? Of course I would! Hoping to return in the fall of 2012.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, lastminute.com.au, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico