Spend April 2nd until the 9th at the Coba. E-mailed ahead of time that we needed 2 rooms next to each other since we traveled with 2 teens. Requested room preferences, restaurant bookings etc. all ahead of time since we didn't want to spend a long time checking in... Well, got there and had 2 rooms assigned on different ends of the resort, ended up in a building we requested not to be in, on a floor we didn't want to be in, had no Restaurants reserved and spend OVER 2 hours in the Premier Lobby trying to check in...nightmare!!!...nothing available, "everybody requests certain buildings so they are all full", blah, blah...it was BOILING hot in the lobby, we were all near tears so in the end you take what they give you because you are so tired, hungry and pissed off by then, that you just want to leave and take ANY room. ~ Our room smelled, had puddles of water in the closet/floor from A/C leak, the telephone did not work, the TV did not work..etc, etc.. The kids room had no A/C and the toilet constantly clogged. Both rooms had a terrible musty smell that stays with you...The rooms are old and need redoing very much so...the lamp shades are burned up, the walls have stains of unknown origin and the rest of it is 2 stars, like a bad La Quinta/Comfort type Inn. It was a nightmare to get Restaurant reservations, you can only get one " nice " restaurant at a normal time and the rest at 10 pm or 5:30 pm...I even offered the woman 20$ and she said that she can't help us get a reservation at decent times...ended up at several restaurants we enjoyed in the end...Don Pablo was the best.
Felix the manager is wonderful and extremely hard working but there is only so much he can do...he can't make magic happen,he can't do everybody elses job, but I appreciate greatly all of his efforts!!! He was the only person at this resort that was exceptional!!!! He was on a trip when I made my requests and the other staff did not honor it. The staff at the bars and buffets were okay at best. Nobody ever went out of their way to try to do their best..."it is a job, I'll do as little as I can to get by"...with few exceptions. The last day in the buffet one waiter didn't even want to bring us drinks because we were leaving and "people on the last day don't tip"...when the bar at the activity pool was about to close they refused to let you look at the drink menu because it's ALMOST closing time ( 20 minutes later...) what difference if I look at the menu or not?!!! Just lame service for the most part. I would say " Gracias" and never receive the usual " de nada"... I have reason to complain, because I was just in Puerto Vallarta at a Riu Resort 2 weeks earlier with my daughter on Springbreak and the service there was COMPLETELY different. Everybody from the waitstaff, animation team, even the ladies cleaning the bathrooms were soooooo nice and joyful and kind. " Holas " wherever you went. Completey different mentality than here.
The buffets at the Principe had the same thing everyday, lunch and dinner almost the same, you could always find something but nothing special...even the cheese sauce for nachos and the guacemole was thinned down...I got ill one day but recovered quickly ( thanks Immodium...lol..).
Now to the positive: The grounds, beach, pools, everything is VERY, VERY beautiful!!!! It is a gorgeous place!! Fantastic snorkeling, beautiful beaches, beautiful nature everywhere. The fellow vacationers were mostly Canadian, Spanish, American and European. Very nice mix of upper-middle class clientelle...no drunks or rude people ( only the staff sometimes ).
We stayed in Akumal many times and I preferred the Palladium resort next door. Much better rooms, food and service for the same price. We spend more money on this trip than any previous times and I prefered the Palladium, Grand Sunset Princess and Riu in the Riviera Maya much more. Service and roomquality IS part of your vacation and for a 5 star hotel these things cannot be compromised...This place could be perfect with a complete remodeling job and coplete staff change except for Felix as the new CEO...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools 3 Jacuzzis Large sun terrace and gardens with sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towel service BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, basketball court, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity centre Entertainment amphitheatre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) Buffet restaurant 4 a la carte restaurants 8 Bars 2 Snack bar Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest. Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco Rooms 1080 rooms including 4 types: Superior Junior Suite, Club Golden Junior Suite, Family Junior Suite and Master Family Suite. Room facilities: Two full size beds or a king size bed Sitting area with sofa Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Terrace Wifi Family Junior Suites and Master Family Suites the perfect choice for families, including: All the facilities and services of a Junior Suite Bathrobes and slippers for all the family for use during your stay Children's bath kit Welcome basket with sweets Mini-bar with juices, shakes, milk and soft drinks for children Two fully independent connecting rooms (Master Family Suites) Club Golden Junior Suites Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's Club (11 - 16 years) Baby Station Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, lastminute.com.au, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Coba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Akumal
- Hotel Gran Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Coba Mexico
- Gran Bahia Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Resort Coba
- Gran Bahia Principe Coba Hotel
- Gran Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Bahia Coba
- Grand Bahia Principe Coba Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico