We did the Sunquest Roulette 5 and found out a few days prior to our trip that we got Gran Bahia Principe Tulum. We stayed at this resort from March 16th to 23rd. I really enjoyed my stay here and liked being able to use the facilities at the two other sister resorts, Coba and Akumal. The grounds are thoroughly maintained by hard working staff, the food was quite good - I can be picky with food and didn't have problems finding something to eat at the Buffets. The pools are clean, and activity staff try their best to get you involved. Drinks were decent, if you would like it stronger just ask.. :) I liked being so close to the Hacienda market, it was about a one block walking distance away from Tulum.. and something nice to do in the evenings after dinner. I enjoyed the amount of walking in this (big) resort.. however, carts are only a few minutes wait if you're in a rush to get to dinner or have little ones travelling with you. Staff are truly hardworking and try their best to please you, sometimes it can get hectic with lots of people to serve so a little patience does go a long way - do tip here and there as well, it makes me sad seeing how many people whom don't bother with tipping.
The timeshare folks hang out at a table by the "Public Relations" area (this is true at all 3 resorts) and will try to chat you up. Just a polite 'no thanks' and keep walking will do, they aren't too aggressive. We travelled as a couple in our late 20's and noticed that these resorts are definitely great for families and older couples looking to just relax. This wouldn't be a resort for teens or college students looking for a party atmosphere 24/7.. for that, I suggest looking elsewhere.
I liked the pools in Coba and Akumal best, and I would recommend going to the beach on the Akumal side, less rocks in the water. We didn't take part in the 'towel game' and never had a problem finding a spot by the pools or beach. Also, we took the collectivo/public vans to and from Playa del Carmen for a day, it was only $3.00 USD per person and we felt very safe, taking a taxi would've cost a flat rate of $33.00 USD each way.
I took away one star due to how far the property is from the airport (1.5 hours) and from Playa del Carmen. This was our first time in Mexico, next time we travel to Mexico I think I would prefer a resort closer to Playa del Carmen as the beach there is lovely. Would consider going back to Gran Bahia Principe when and if we start a family. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools (including 2 with Jacuzzi for relaxation) 1 Jacuzzi Large sun terrace with loungers and sun umbrellas BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motorised sports (additional charge) Water activity and scuba diving centre Entertainment amphitheatres WiFi access in the lobby (24h per day free of charge) and in rooms additional charge) 1 buffet restaurant 3 a la carte restaurants 6 Bars Snack-Bar Wedding gazebo Dolphinarium (additional charge) Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, natural wells and Mayan forest Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and disco. Rooms 978 rooms including 4 types: Superior, Superior Junior Suite, Superior Club Hacienda and Club Hacienda Junior Suite. The Junior Suites are larger than the Superior rooms. Room facilities: King size bed (Superior Junior Suites) or 2 full size beds Sitting area (Superior Junior Suites) Fully-equipped bathroom: shower, wash basin, magnifying mirror and hair dryer Hydromassage bath tub (Superior Junior Suites) Bathroom amenities Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Radio alarm clock Flat screen satellite TV Mini-bar (included) Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set WiFi (additional charge) Club Hacienda rooms (See page 18, Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy a range of specially-tailored facilities: Children's pool Mini Club with activities for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Bahia Scouts Water Park Other services On-site miniature railway providing access to all facilities 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Personalised diet option for celiacs and diabetics Cash point Specialised service for organising weddings, events and anniversaries Casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia APAC, lastminute.com.au, Wotif.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Tulum Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Akumal
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel
- Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Gran Principe Tulum
- Gran Bahia Principe Mayan Riviera Resort
- Gran Bahia Principe Mexico
- Grand Bahia Principe Tulum Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico