5,997 results
All reviews sushi bar akumal bay one man band paddle boarding fidelity club lobby bar beach manager yoga classes fish gourmet restaurant the penthouse sea turtles jacuzzi on the balcony sushi chef main pool brazilian steakhouse stayed in building
Reviewed 21 February 2017 via mobile

I spent two weeks in building four , with quiet ocean views.
I totally agree with all the great reviews this resort receives.
My only flaw was the septic smell that seemed to be constant behind our building.... my room constantly smelled.... I complained to front desk, and they sent someone to spray air freshener... but I realized that if I shut air conditioner off..( as it was sucking the septic smell into the room ) .... keeping the patio doors open and having the ocean breezes blowing in , seemed to correct the problem.... however the smell continued in our walkway to our building .... I believe the septic system and infrastructure may need improvements . There must have been other complaints as a strong air freshener odour was lingering in walkways, mixed with septic smell.... on my last few days there.
I found the water in large pool and smaller pools to look cloudy ....
otherwise the grounds , rooms and beach appeared very clean .

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Chloee45
ABBWR, Guest Relations Manager at Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2017

Dear Chloee45,

Thank you for taking the time of sharing your feedback about Akumal Bay - Beach & Wellness Resort.

It is always a pleasure to know our friends opinion in order to continue to provide them with the best service possible.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back anytime soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

Our stay at Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort was an experience that left us with great memories and a longing to return next year ! ! Luis, who greeted us with a smile, Karsten, who helped us with excursion plans & all our questions, the bartenders who were so patient with our drink concoctions, our wonderful wait staff - Adriana, Abraham, Armundo, Concepcion, Benjamon, and Alex. The food was excellent in every restaurant. Our favorite was the Brazillian restaurant. The resort is small and gives an intimate feel. The snorkeling and the beaches were the ultimate !! Turtles, stingrays, barracuda, and beautiful colorful fish along with 'powdered sugar' beaches convinced us that this is a paradise that we will come back to. Thank you to everyone at Akumal Bay Resort !!!

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean-view. Ground level is nice for walking right out to beach. 2nd floor better view of ocean - not blocked by palm trees.
2  Thank Paul D

Dear Paul D,

We would like to thank you for the kind comments, we are glad you have enjoyed your stay with us and hope you found in Akumal Bay - Beach & Wellness Resort the perfect spot for your next vacation, we are “your home under the sun”.

Looking forward to seeing you again anytime soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

What can I say about this hotel it's the most amazing place we have stayed. We went 30th January for my husbands 6th birthday and we were not disappointed. It's an amazing hotel and wonderful staff. They all made my husbands birthday perfect.
ROOMS - were spacious and very cleanice and amazing views and lovely whirlpool bath on every balcony.
STAFF - all staff go out there way to make your holiday wonderful but got to say special thanks to a few.
FIRST of all everyone who works on the patio bar. What a lovely bar would not be the same without clements. What a guy ( please dont move him). Also thanks to seller and Daniel.
Gourmet Restaurant - wowith what a lovely restaurant staff cannot do enough for you so thanks to manager Daniel and staff Roger,Aaron,Jesus's and Javier. But special thanks to Amber for sorting out my husbands birthday lovely table and cake had a wonderful, nite.
Japanese - did not eat here but lady on door is lovery.
Brazilian steak house - lovely food and lovely staffordable if you lie a steak go there.
The barman of the beach Eusebio kept us in driving know all day what a lovely guy.
Buffet restaurant - All the Staffin the restaurant work so hard but got to say the omelette lady Aurora works so hard she was always happy. Also Beartriz you greets you is so welcoming. So are all the reception staff and the men who clear the seaweed. Last of all our lovely cleaner Guadalupe did a lovely job clear I got our room and made beautiful cake out of towels for my husbandso birthday.
Beautiful beach plenty of sun beds. Snorkeling in the sea is a must seen turtles sting rays sword fish and beautiful coloured fish.
We stayed in room 3103 block 3nice and quiet and lovely views of the ocean. Alook every room got whirlpool bath.
Cannot wait to go back just booked for next april.

Room Tip: Block 3 is nice and quiet
5  Thank happyholidaymaker010

Dear happyholidaymaker010,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

It is very pleasant to read reviews like yours that highlight with details every little thing that you have enjoyed in Akumal Bay – Beach & Wellness Resort and please rest assured that the staff mentioned will be recognized for the excellent service provided to you and will be receiving the kind comments you shared.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home under the sun for your next visit anytime soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

Where do I start?? Well, this was our third visit to Akumal Bay; our first two were to the pre-remodel version. We loved the loved the old one; we really love the new one!!

From the second you come through the gate, the grounds are meticulously maintained, and clean clean clean. From your hassle free check-in; met in the lobby by people bringing you a beverage and a cool towel. How great is that!?

The staff here has got to be the best. From front desk, to bartenders, to the people who take wonderful care of your room, to grounds staff, bell staff, kitchen/dining room; all of them are so nice. There is always a smile and a Hola!

We only ate in the main buffet dining room and thoroughly enjoyed the choices available every day. There is always something fresh available. If you pick from the foods along the wall, they are made in very small quantities and many are prepared just for you. The foods in the middle section are made in the kitchen and in a bit larger quantities, but still very good and fresh. The salads, soups, breads, desserts are all wonderful. I ate well; TOO well (back on my regular eating routine now that we are home) in fact. It's hard to not overindulge with so many choices.

I can only comment on the lobby bar for the evening (Cristian, Omar and Carlos). The bartenders take first class care of the guests and make some wonderful concoctions for you. We were treated like royalty!

During the daytime we frequented the beach bar (Oscar behind the bar, and Maria and Patricia working the beach out of that bar). Not enough good can be said about the experiences there. I miss their smiles and jokes. And at the beach bar, there is sushi available, lovingly made by Lilliana! She is so sweet and does a great job. I actually tried sushi for the first time in my life after watching her make sushi for so so so many people (people, even though all this is included, a thank you and a tip is appreciated).

I realize there are other bars; a bar in the Snack Area; a bar in front of building 1 and another bar along the beach between building 3 and 4. We didn't ever make it to those so I can't comment other than there are more than enough bars available to everyone!!!

Giovanna, part of the Activities Team, is a gem. Always a smile a hello and asking if there is anything they can do to try and make your stay better.

We also enjoyed the entertainment. From Abel, the one man band, that walked the pool, bar areas....amazing that he can carry all that weight on his waist and play some very nice music. Very entertaining and a sweet man.

There was live entertainment during cocktail hour every day. From a man playing flugelhorn (accompanied by background tape) to a great jazz Saxophonist (also accompanied by background tape). Nice touch.

At night there was live music, every night! Different every night. From what I call Mexican Reggae (they were great) to Rock N Roll (non-offensive), to Salsa. Enjoyable choices every night. We enjoyed the variety.

So many activities available for those that chose to join in.

The rooms are very very nice (for the little bit of time spent there). I like that they kept the toilet and shower separate from the room. Some do not like that the wall/door don't go all the way to the ceiling but it doesn't bother my husband and I. The bed was comfortable; I have to say the sheets were the softest cotton I think I have ever slept in. I noticed they are made in Mexico!! Soft soft soft.

The sliding doors are great. SO big and love the nice screen. When we arrived, the first thing we did was turn off the air conditioning, put the ceiling fan on medium and opened the patio door! Never closed it the entire week. Falling asleep to the sound of the sea outside is the best. The windows in the shower/toilet area open as well for a good cross breeze. I just closed those at night as there is no screen there and I didn't want the mosquitos to find me.

Our week there flew by. So many tranquil places you can hang out; comfy chairs in the palapas off the lobby.

I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: If you like quiet and don't mind a little walk, building 3 or 4
5  Thank pamiela

Dear pamiela,

We would like to express our gratitude for the time you spent to send us your review, we are glad to read you had a wonderful time in Akumal Bay - Beach & Wellness Resort.

We also greatly appreciate you mentioned the staff, they are hard working friends always with a smile to make you feel like at home.

Looking forward to seeing you again anytime soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

Akumal Bay Resort caters to a wide variety of tourists needs reminiscent of our many trips on cruise ships.

Are you looking for a romantic, quiet vacation? Stay in building four away from the lively pool and enjoy the cocktails delivered to your beach-side chairs. Dine in the specialty restaurants or have room service, all included in your resort fee. Watch the stars appear in the upper patio of the Penthouse rooms as you sit in your private jacuzzi.

Are you seeking a family vacation that will make multiple generations happy? Stay in building three where the grandparents can get away from the lively pool but still be steps away from the ocean and main dining room. Even the pickiest little diners will find food they can enjoy at the buffet. The activity staff will keep younger children entertained with sand toys, arts and crafts, and fun games.

Are you wishing to hang out with other young couples while vacationing? Hang out near the sushi bar and enjoy the music, main swimming pool, sunbathing, cocktails and socializing. Meet other 25 to 35-year olds from all over the world looking for a party or chance to chill.

With a full day of free activities ranging from Aqua Zumba, Spanish lessons, bay tours, snorkeling, spin classes, pool games and more, it feels like your on a cruise but with no cruise director. You will hear languages from all over the world spoken by people of all different ages. Food is available 24/7, and the drinks are always flowing.

The grounds are beautiful, and all of the employees are gracious, friendly, and intent on fulfilling your every need. I would almost say they are overstaffed! The rooms are spacious, clean, but sparse in decor. Even at full capacity, we were always able to find a table for breakfast or at one of the specialty restaurants.

Points to consider:
1) You will not be fully submerged or able to stretch your legs out in the room jacuzzis if you are tall.
2) The 1st-floor of the penthouse rooms have a solid wall, so you just see the ocean when seated. You can go up to the upstairs patio and have a glass wall but the furniture is sparse, and the umbrella does not provide much shade. 2nd and 3rd- floors have a glass wall so you can see the shore.
3) We had no problems getting lounge chairs or "beds" by building four. If you want to be by the pool, you will need to save a spot early in the morning.
4) We didn't see any sea turtles and the water was murky. The few tropical fish we saw in the coral looked dull in color. In February, you might want to take an excursion for better snorkeling. The concierge told us we were just unlucky not seeing a turtle, but I didn't see many people snorkeling or getting excited out in the water.
5) Snag a beach towel early and keep it. There were several times we were unable to find any.
6) All of the shower products are honey-based. I didn't care for the sweet scent but luckily brought my own.
7) Taxis are more expensive than hiring private transportation to the airport.

7  Thank hilgregg
ABBWR, Guest Relations Manager at Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2017

Dear hilgregg,

We are looking forward to welcoming you back anytime soon.