Casa Sea Gate is a gem. This is our second stay in Akumal (August 2011), and while we also enjoyed the first property we rented on the same block (August 2009), we fell in love with Casa Sea Gate. The property truly is beautiful. Upon our arrival one member of our group couldn’t stop saying how overwhelmed she felt because of how beautiful the place was. Not enough good things could be said about the caretakers, Don Gregorio and Margarita. They are SO friendly and professional. They not only keep the grounds in perfect condition, but also go above and beyond to make you feel welcome. For example, Don Gregorio brought us fresh coconuts one night right off the tree. On another occasion, he washed all of our fruit, cut it up, and put it in a serving bowl in the refrigerator.
A few practical highlights:
- The pool is QUITE large. We were a family of 8 adults and could have easily had 8 more in the pool with us!
- The rooms are spacious. 3 out of the 4 bedrooms have queen/king size beds and the fourth has 3 beds – one small bed and two twins.
- Each bedroom has a BEAUTIFUL bathroom.
- The ocean-facing side is also gorgeous – don’t miss the sunrises!!!! There is no beach outside of the house, there is just a small sandy patch but it’s quite rocky
- The beach/small grocery store is literally a 5-minute walk away.
- There is a COMPLIMENTARY meal waiting for you on your day of arrival (prepared by Don Gregorio). We wish we’d known this ahead of time, so make sure to check with the person doing your reservation to verify.
Overall, this house is awesome – we couldn’t have been happier. We love Akumal and will be returning yet again. Akumal recommendations are:
- Loncheria Akumalito (right at the entrance, right by the VERY EXPENSIVE grocery store)
- Cenote Azul and Gran Cenote. Two gorgeous places! Cenote Azul is less visited and just as beautiful (bring bug spray)
- Hidden Worlds Adventure Park – worth the $60, but be prepared for a “rugged excursion” – amazing place though!
- Coba ruins – have visited Chichen Itza and Tulum and loved the Coba ruins the most. More off the beaten path – make sure you hire a guide at Coba though!
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||Families with young children|