See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I spent one night here when I couldn't stay solo for reasonable bucks at the Casona de Cortez.

The hotel is about a 15-20 minute walk from the zócalo, mostly down Avenida Juárez, past the mercado and over the river. It's a bit too far to come and go on foot conveniently from the town center. (FWIW, I think Tlaxcala cabs are unusually expensive for Mexico: a couple of cabbies wanted 40 pesos to take me to the Real de Tlaxcala, a ride that almost anywhere else would be 25-30 pesos.)

The hotel was undergoing some construction, and there was noise pretty early in the morning. The room itself was a little dark for my liking and featured that vague, stale odor I will forever associate with the cheap hotels I so often patronized in Mexico during my 20s.

The staff was helpful, however, and I paid only about US$35 for the night, so what's to complain about? Not a bad choice when you're on a budget, but not much to write home about here, either.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window to the parking area or street. Many rooms have windows that face exterior walls or mechanical areas that obstruct light. Staff should accommodate such requests without protest.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Secure parking (it appears they have a night watchman), small room but it was super quiet - couldn't even hear a dog bark. Wifi worked near the lobby but not very well in our room, cable TV and a small bed. There may have been other lodgers there but it was silent. A convenient location, just a few minute walk to the mercado. I would stay there again.
The photo of the hotel is not accurate - there is no pool.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple