“A meticulously maintained glimpse into the past ”

Western Development Museum
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

My husband, 10 year old son and I spent about 2 1/2 hours marvelling at the care that is taken to show us how things used to be in Saskatchewan. What a wonderful look at the past. Makes you appreciate the hard work people went through for us to be here now. Thank you.

All reviews
"grandchildren"
"meal"
"weekend"

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Our family visits historical sites across Canada, this was a favourite because of the outdoor townsite with all of the artifacts you can see up close!

A visit to the grain elevator should be a must. Clearly demonstrated how these prairie landmarks work.

Staff were super friendly making sure you get all from your time there.

If you don't have great respect for prairie farmers if the past... you will after your visit!

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

I went to this museum the first time five or six years ago. I had to go to North Battleford to pick someone up so I thought I would tour the museum again.

There are a few of these outdoor town museums in saskatchewan. This one is one of the better ones I have been to.

The ukranian church and house are very unique foe this type of museum. The thatched roof of the museum ks very unusual for Canada. The barn is also quite impressive.

I would recommend planning to spend 2-3 hours at this museum.

There were a couple families there when I was touring and the kids seemed to enjoy it was well. There are a few animals ponies, donkey, sheep near the barn in some pins.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

This museum in North Battleford is great! It reminds me on an unmanned Heritage Park. Great indoor display then interesting buildings outside! Two hours is not enough! Give yourself enough time.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

The Hubs and I stopped in here on our random weekend road trip to Lloyd and NB. We spent just over 2 hours here. There is just so much amazing work put into this museum. We started in the 100 Years of Saskatchewan history section. A timeline filled with Saskatchewan history. It was super educational. The First Nations program was done very well; and the mining section was neat. But I really loved the timeline and information all around you. Then we went to the old automobile section. Seen more steam engines than I've ever seen at any of these types of venues; but I was quickly bored by the old cars/trucks - just because I see them sooo much. Thankfully this is a very small area/section. Then we went outside to the historical village. It was quite larger than I had thought it was going to be. Some of the homes need repair, as you can see there is significant water damage; but it was obvious that there has been restorations completed on others - so perhaps they are getting to it. It's enjoyable to take a look back at history. My husband learnt that John Deere has been around for a loooooong time. I think we will have to check out the other Western Development Museums in SK to compare.