“Ok but nothing like real Indian food ”

Saugeen Curry House and Fish 'N' Chips
Ranked #18 of 51 Restaurants in Port Elgin
Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

It’s ok for anyone that wants different food flavour in the area but it’s not great Indian food. The lentil soup wasn’t good I couldn’t eat it. The naans were not home made it tested like the frozen one that I usually buy from the supermarket and warm up at home. The shrimp and chicken curry tested the same, they only add shredded coconut on top on the shrimps. Seemed like they make one kind of curry then add the chicken or beef or shrimp after. If you are looking for real Indian food then drive to mississauga or somewhere else but if you are looking to just have a different food then you can go and try. For me personally, I will not be going back.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

We decided to try this restaurant for take out and felt compelled to warn others. We ordered 5 different curries and we felt as if they have been diluted down with water!!!! There was minimal protein ( very few pieces of chicken chickpeas or shrimp) and the lentil dish was reminiscent of bland
pablum!! The flavours were hardly detectable and they all tasted basically the same. Not at all worth almost $100 spent!!!!I Not sure how or why any positive reviews have been written about this place but if you’ve ever had decent curry in the past, you will know what we’re taking about!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

We drove down with friends this evening to try out the Saugeen Curry House... we were not disappointed. My husband and I each got a combo (shrimp for me... chicken for him) and what an excellent value! Our combos started with a flavourful samosa and a choice of either soup or fresh salad. I had the lentil soup and he had the salad.. Both excellent choices. With the main you had your choice of curry, Chana masala and then biriyani as the rice. The flavours was amazing... there was enough heat to make things tingle but in a good way. There was no skimping on portions with the meal and we eat had enough left to take as a small lunch the following day. There are so many choices still to try on the Indian menu before we start to look at the other items. When visiting Port Elgin this may need to be another go to spot for us!

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank VeeDubOS
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Wanting to try something new for supper tonight, we decided to try the Curry House and fish and chips. So pleased that we did!

We started with the appetizer platter. Amazing! The spring rolls were the best we've ever had and the dipping sauce had fantastic bite! My husband and mother in law got fish and chips (HUGE portions!) and I tried the butter chicken. Absolutely the best i've had.

Vibrant, fresh ingredients. Beautiful presentation. Friendly and fast service.

We'll be back for sure!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 28 May 2018

What a pleasure to find this gem of a restaurant tucked away in Port Elgin, ON. I had lunch here last week with a friend, and we had Sahi Paneer, Coconut Curry Shrimp and rice and naan. This is South Asian food every bit as good as you'll get in a major city. The flavours are bright, the food is freshly cooked, and everything is beautifully presented. I would highly recommend stopping here!

Date of visit: May 2018