Elm Hurst Inn & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Comfort Inn(Ingersoll)
USD 91*
USD 88*
USD 116*
Elvoline
Econo Lodge Woodstock(Woodstock)(Great Value!)
USD 67*
USD 91*
USD 85*
Agoda.com
USD 53*
All reviewssaladdining roomprime ribget awaybaconroast beefseafoodbeautiful roombeautiful groundslunch buffetsteam roompajama partypotatoesour waitercrepeswedding receptionmy sister
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed here on a Wednesday night for my husband's birthday. I chose this place because of proximity, word they had renovated the rooms, and I had stayed here before and enjoyed it.

I booked the deal with Groupon because it saved me about $50.00 per night. It was $10.00 to upgrade to a suite, which I am glad I did. Check-in went well, very courteous staff as the other reviews mention. We had a 2 room, jacuzzi suite, and the room was very large with a beautiful view and many windows. I ordered chocolate covered strawberries, and they were fabulous. I found it convenient that the room offered large bottles of wine to purchase on the mini bar instead of small bottles you see in most hotels. As well, they were reasonably priced.
We each had a pedicure done and they were good. Spa staff again, very friendly and professional.

From there we went to dinner, Now I have to say that my husband is a very picky eater, and isn't much for eating out for dinner. I think this is the first time in 8 years, he did not complain about one item of food on his plate. He loved the entire meal. The waiter suggested calamari and scallops which were a great recommendation. I had the salmon and it was terrific, my husband had the special which was sirloin with shrimp. The waiter did not tell us the price, and we should have asked, but were a bit surprised to see it was $43.00. A server may want to mention that.

The only thing that put a damper on the dinner was that it seemed the server didn't really want to be there. We felt rushed because there were only a few tables, and there wasn't a lot of privacy and he seemed in a hurry. No one wants to hurry a nice birthday dinner. He was a great server, and maybe it was an off night, but again a damper. I overheard him telling another customer that the Groupon deal went over well because there was a discount, but the hotel would get the money back other ways so they wouldn't lose out. Unprofessional because he was saying it so loud, others could hear it.

When I made reservations, I was told a hot breakfast was included. I assumed it would be off the menu, but it was buffet. Guests should be told it i a buffet, becasue there is a difference. When we looked at the buffet, it had many choices, but no meat. Although it is great the hotel offers this with your room, what hotel doesn't include meat on a hot breakfast buffet? Well, I found out that you could order meat off of the menu if you want it. And this would explain how the hotel makes their money back as per our server's comment. I found this low class of a hotel to do this. I have been at many, many inns, and I have never seen an inn charge for meat on a breakfast buffet when one is spending hundreds of dollars for one night.

Upon check out, there was one small problem with my bill, but that was quickly fixed.
The staff at this hotel really are excellent, and maybe it comes from them liking their owners, which all said were wonderful. The only issues we had were with the couch in our suite. The room has been renovated, so why leave an old stained couch in there with a beautiful room?

We asked for another robe because there was only one in the suite, and were told there were no more. The inn wasn't full and one should have been taken from another room to accomodate the customer. I have never understood why hotels only give you one robe when there are two people staying in the room.

The bed in our room wasn't attached to the wall, so every time one of us moved during the night, the head board hit the wall. No sleep at all. The bed was very comfortable though.

When I called the hotel to make dinner reservations, I was told there was the regular menu and the chef's menu which was $39.50 for 3 courses, Monday to Friday. It wasn't even offered at dinner for whatever reason, with no explanation. Maybe a mis-understanding, or another way for the hotel to make money.

Thank you for a great stay, we hope to be back for some more delicious food.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite
1  Thank hotsally
ElmHurstInnkeeper, Public Relations Manager at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear hotsally,
Thank you for choosing Elm Hurst Inn & Spa for your husband's birthday getaway. I'm glad you both enjoyed your spa treatments and dinner. Your feedback is a great help to us in ensuring that, on a daily basis, we offer the consistent quality experience that our customers have come to expect for more than 20 years.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Elmhurst Inn is quite charming and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Dinner in the Victorian Mansion was outstanding and the breakfast buffet was very good also. The staff is very friendly.

2  Thank DonMichigan

Dear DonMichigan,
I'm glad you were captivated by Elm Hurst's charms! Do stay with us again, and thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

Beautiful historic buildings with modern guest rooms and lots of dining rooms. Food was delicious...had the breakfast that is included with stay, and dinner - prime rib and filet were done perfectly, caprese salad with goat cheese perfect starter to share. Unfortunately didn't have time to check out the spa but I will when I go back next...will definitely stay again!

1  Thank pegaroo2

Dear pegaroo2,
Thank you for your comments. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Do make time to pay a visit to our Aveda Spa the next time you visit us. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Being in a smaller town the Elm Hurst Inn is one of the best places for miles. Being a wedding photographer I get to go there a few times each year and it offers some of the better services to have a wedding there. So our son and his lovely wife had their wedding there and what a great place it was to have a wedding.

Ever since their wedding almost 10 years ago we have the Sunday Brunch there on our wedding anniversary. And in my opinion it is the best place to have brunch. They offer anything from prime rib to omelettes and a lot more.

I know we will be back and who knows we will see you there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank AcapulcoFred

Dear AcapulcoFred,
Thanks for letting others know what a wonderful place Elm Hurst Inn & Spa is for a Wedding or Sunday Brunch! We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

This year, our group of girlfriends (12 of us) decided to try the Elm Hurst Inn and Spa for our annual spa weekend. I was nervous about organizing becasue the reviews on this site were all over the place, however, ignore any review that is not recent, because this was a fantastic trip.
To start us off, I dealt with Theresa for months in the planning of the weekend and she was wonderful to deal with. We worked out a package that was acceptable to both our group and lucrative for the Inn.
Then we had some Corporate dealings. Not too bad, however, their system was new and the first draft of the contract was completely wrong. I would suggestreally looking through it to make sure it's what you agree to. For our purpose I think the contract was unnecessary as it had a lot of verbage that didn't apply to us. I found that the Corporate side of the arrangement could learn from the other parts of the Inn as they focussed on getting a deposit and signed "contract" but didn't ensure that the details of what we wanted were in place, such as spa availability and meal times. Pehaps their job is to ensure payment, however, I think there needs to be balance. Everything worked out and it really wasn't bad, however, everything could use improvement and if there was anthing to remark about it was this aspect of the trip.
We arrived early and well before our rooms were ready as our appts. in the spa started at 9 am and we came from almost 3 hours away. The lady at check-in seemed a bit surpised we were there but directed us to the spa. We put all our luggage in the locker room which was fine for the time being. At Noon, we visited the check-in desk again and were able to get one of the rooms to put all our luggage in, which was great that they were that flexible to allow us that early check-in.
We recieved the lunch buffet as part of our package. I understand that it is not normally served on weekends, but we are glad it was on this Saturday because it was loveley. Not over-the-top but just right. They served a chicken stir fry, some beef, cold salads, soup and breads and a beautiful dessert selection.
The spa is what we went for and thsi is what we will be back for next year. The services were incredible and the staff were the best I have ever experienced. They are genuinely happy to be there and want yo to be happy as well. I cannot say enough about Chriss, the Spa director. I was told by "Corporate", to book the spa for the group three weeks before our arrival, however, when I called, Chriss had no idea we were coming and informed me that the Inn was offering a Women's retreat wekeend the same weekend we booked (I hadn't been told that) so the spa was heavily booked already. Ready to cry, Chriss was very accomodating, understanding, and was able to work with us to ensure we got everything we wanted to book in the schedule. It is quite obvious the spa staff are inspired by her example. Our group are very experienced spa travellers and our concensous is that their level of services ranks among the highest rated spas. Each of us had at least 2 services or more and they were able to get us all in plus the other bookings they already had, so they have enough staff and space for groups. Personally, I recieved the Carribean Body treatment which includes a wrap, and I cannot wait to go back. It was the most relaxing treatment ever. When we weren't in a heavenly service, we were in the 6-person hot tub located at the entrance of the spa or in the steam or sauna rooms.
We stayed in the rooms that were in the same hall as the spa. They were beautiful, the beds were comfy and one of the ladies wanted to take the bedding home, she loved it so much. The shower was glassed in and the water pressure was good. One of the nicest rooms I have stayed in.
We didn't have the dinner, as we found it very expensive and we brought little snack things instead. We were there for the spa more than the meals. We were advised there was apub menu, however, our version of a pub menu and their's was very different. It seemed it was just the same highly priced items from the restaurant.
The next morning was our one and only glitch of the weekend. The website was unclear about Sunday breakfast and when I arranged the package price I believed the Sunday brunch was included in our package. It was not, the continental breakfast the other reviewers had commented on was supposed to be our breakfast. It would have been very dissapointing. By the time we realized it, it was almost over and the next part is another major reason we will be coming back. Brittany was on front desk and upon explaining the situation, made sure we were included for the Sunday brunch, no argument like other places would give - they really just want their guests to be happy. It was awesome. They had chicken, beef, seafood, pasta, cold salads, an omellette chef, a crepe chef, pastries, a chocolate fountain and other desserts. Wait staff were terrific for both meals.
We were not rushed to check out, and when we did, it was quick and with a smile.
The next day Theresa contacted me to see how we enjoyed ourselves and to ensure the mix-up with breakfast wouldn't happen again. As I wrote in the title, the staff make the Experience, everyone we encountered were friendly and helpful and wanted us to relax and enjoy ourselves.
I advise anyone for a spa weekend away, a romantic weekend away or just an escape, this is the place to go. Count this review as 12 in 1.
We will be back and our group will be bigger next year. We're already planning what we're going to get.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank We_Dabble

Dear We_Dabble,
Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review. We're glad you and your girlfriends enjoyed your stay at Elm Hurst Inn & Spa and your feedback will help us make sure that your next visit is even better!