“Love the Fish and Chips”

Island View Restaurant & Bakery
Reviewed 8 August 2017

We absolutely love fresh fish and chips and stopping here on our way back to the city was a great decision. Both of us ordered the 2Piece fish and chips (we should have just had the 1 piece) the fish was cooked perfectly and was delicious you could tell it was fresh. Large portion sizes. I would stop here again and again and would highly recommend it. Looking around the dining room we saw many people had the seafood.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Ate there for lunch. Quality of the fish was great. My wife had lovely clams. Be sure to order a few rolls they are fresh baked there. This place is meant to be a restaurant for the local folks so do not expect fast service, large washroom , padded seats and good acoustics. The view is pleasant, it can be crowded. If your handicapped then its best to arrive well before Lunch or well after so it less crowded. Don't expect to get access to washrooms, they are small only because the whole place is small. This place holds a bakery and ice cream parlour as well. Personally we enjoyed this quaint place enjoyed the value and that ever seat had a great view.

Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

Ate here today with a group of friends, as we do every year, during our plant shopping trip. Being Fathers' Day, it was fairly busy, although there were several empty seats and it was close to 2pm.

I had two piece fish and chips for 11.99. Was surprised the waitress asked me if I wanted battered or breaded, I chose battered. I got two lovely looking pieces of fish and a normal portion of fries. I found the fish was a mushy and my fries were pretty cold. I am not that fussy of an eater, so I just ate it.

However, two of my friends ordered the Cheeseburger Poutine - fries, gravy, cheese, onion, tomato, and pickle with special sauce. When it came, it looked disgusting. Dark brown gravy pile with what looked like 1000 Islands dressing. One friend tried it, said the sauce was bad, and returned it to kitchen to have another one made. W/O the sauce. Their meal did not come until everyone else was finished. Not once did the waitress return to our table to apologize or check in on us after that. BTW, the second one was not much better but being famished, they ate it anyway.

When we went to counter to pay, we stood there for 10 minutes before we were acknowledged, as the only counter person was busy dipping free ice cream for people for Fathers Day.

We did not leave a tip, and won't be returning next year.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

We've been going here for years for fried seafood. It's always good and prices are generally better than in nearby tourist destinations like Mahone Bay or Lunenburg. The view is hard to beat, especially if you manage a table by an oceanside window in the small dining room. It's too bad Tripadvisor doesn't allow ratings in half-star increments. This is a 3 1/2-star place.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Close to the very best fresh fish available in Nova Scotia, The best part is that it has been prepared and cooked perfectly with a light breading, and the portion is perfect!