“Fried food with a view”

Island View Family Restaurant
Reviewed 23 May 2017

We've been going here for years for fried seafood. It's always good and prices are generally better than in nearby tourist destinations like Mahone Bay or Lunenburg. The view is hard to beat, especially if you manage a table by an oceanside window in the small dining room. It's too bad Tripadvisor doesn't allow ratings in half-star increments. This is a 3 1/2-star place.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Close to the very best fresh fish available in Nova Scotia, The best part is that it has been prepared and cooked perfectly with a light breading, and the portion is perfect!

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

I visited your establishment for the first time with my family and father in law who requires a walker to get around. One of your staff, she told us her name is Rhonda, was rude and dismissive to us. There was little room to get past the occupied tables to a table in the corner. I moved an empty 2 seater table to make room for him to walk past. The table covered a portion of the doorway back to the service area. As the waitress came out she started to push her way through as my father in law was coming past the table. I asked her to wait as he needed to get through with his walker. She continued to push the table out of her way and glared at me saying "well I need to get through too". It would have been seconds for her to wait for him to pass. I appreciate that she had food in her hands but again this literally would have taken seconds and is the polite thing to do! You can see into the service area as the door is open. We witnessed her negative body language and facial expression as she recalled the story to her coworkers. I was not impressed by this service and lack of general manners. The server for our table was polite and friendly, the food was great. It's too bad our initial encounter was not. I will be sure to let family and friends know of how we were treated in such an unkind and disrespectful way.

4  Thank LaurelMac
Reviewed 8 April 2017

You couldn't get much closer to the ocean than this pleasant little restaurant. Literally steps from the water, the Island View has been around for 50 yrs. Plain but so clean, with a bakery that sells fabulous baked goods and sweets...your table overlooks the water.

Basically a seafood restaurant, with a few sandwiches etc that are not seafood...most things are fried or battered, but well done.

I ordered the clams and fries...very tasty although I was disappointed the tartar sauce was one of those little packages..not homemade

Hubby ordered the 3 pc fish...you have a choice of battered or breaded..he ordered the battered. He said it was very tasty and a huge order... I did notice that after he was finished, the paper napkin in the bottom of the basket was covered in grease although he said the fish was not greasy.

Would return if in the area..but will probably try something else like the haddock sandwich or lobster roll.

Thank K.C.NovaScotia
Reviewed 28 March 2017

We live about 10 minutes drive from the Island View and we come here frequently during their season. We come here so often that we usually have our menu items selected ahead of time after a round of text messages.

The portions are large and I usually split a menu item. The milk shakes are like the 50's and homemade by hand. I would recommend them as a cure for a late night of over indulgence. What is great about this place is that you can get great soups, and sandwiches as well as the usually fried menu items. I love their pea soup and their fish and chips is consistently excellent. They also have a bakery here with great bread should you need to pick up a loaf - they do a brisk ice cream businesses as well.

The prices are reasonable and staff treat you like family. I forgot, the great ocean view!