New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Wilds at Salmonier River Hotel Rooms & Suites

The Wilds at Salmonier River Hotel Rooms & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Holyrood
Ontario
“BRIDES BEWARE- Definitely would not choose here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2009

The food was well prepared but the overall experience was disorganized and the majority of the staff were not helpful and one particular staff member was rude and quite unprofessional towards members of the wedding party, in fact, when the bride wanted music for walking down the aisle, this staff just wanted the party to walk without it so that the bride would have to follow.Rooms were not ready for the party to prepare for the wedding, bridal party was not put on the same floor even when requested. Rooms were outdated and the cob webs added to the already run down decor. The parents of the bride received a nicer suite but paid more than a harbour front view room in St. John's would cost.The grounds were nice but the bog didn't help during pictures.It would have been a much more enjoyable experience if more of the staff actually cared about service and catering to people's needs instead of acting as if they are there to just "make a buck!"I cannot comment on the breakfast as I could not wait to leave due to the poor attitude of one specific staff member who seemed to be attempting to "run the show".

2 Thank climb-to-the-top
NewfoundlandWilds, general manager at The Wilds at Salmonier River Hotel Rooms & Suites, responded to this review, 15 February 2010
We have over 30 plus weddings a year & no complaints from the brides or grooms, some now I would consider good friends & cannot wait until they return. we do this for a living & are very good at what we do. we do everything in our power to make sure it is a special day for the Bride & groom this wedding the Bride & groom were happy but her sister was not. all our guests are special & I hope they return, some people just have bad days. we are certainly not perfect but we try to go above & beyond everyday.

Jeff Peddle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

We were at The Wilds to attend a wedding which all went off very well although I understand from the family that there were last minute disappointments in that hotel staff did not set out the chairs for the wedding and family and friends had to "do it themselves".

The room we were given, one of the suites, was very comfortable indeed, spacious and clean with every possible convenience. The only tiny moan I could have is that there is a large, high triangular window which has no curtain or blind making the room very light in the early morning.

The service we recieved at breakfast was very good but other family members experienced extremely slow service in the restaurant the previous evenning (apparently some guests who had travelled out specially for a meal from St. Johns were kept waiting so long they had to leave).

That said it was a wonderful location for the wedding and the reception went off without a hitch. The food served was delicious and could not be faulted.

NewfoundlandWilds, General manager at The Wilds at Salmonier River Hotel Rooms & Suites, responded to this review, 18 February 2010
I really appreciate you taking the time to write a response to your visit. I am glad you loved the food & service & I too like total darkness in the morning, I am trying to get curtains or blinds to open & close but the top windows are very high so not a easy fix but I am working on it. I hope that you can one day return here.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2009

My room was air conditioned and well appointed with an amazing view of the river and golf course. The kids loved the pool and the fireworks for Canada day. Younger kids would enjoy the nice playground next to the pool. I don't play golf but heard a rumor that the course was on the difficult side though it looked as scenic as they get.

st. john's
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

The hotel has gone under major renovations in the last couple years. The executive sweets are on par with any 4 star hotel I've stayed in. Regardless of the accommodations, you won't find a better view for golfing anywhere in the province. You have to see it to believe it.

I am glad you took the time to write a response of your visit here, We have done a major amount of work here in 3 years & emails like this shows us people are taking notice. I am glad you enjoyed our suites & hope to see you back at The wilds again.
P.S. one of the best golf courses around is nice to wake up to.

Halifax, NS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2009

I am just going to say, this place needs work (the hotel), enough said. Good golfing.

your heading was right," It has potential". Take a look at our website & If you are back this way I will gladly give you a free night to see the changes we have made. We knew 3 years ago when we took it over it had potential, I live here this is my home & the staff are like family. We have done massive amounts of work here & are still doing work now. Our goal at The Wilds is to make this resort a 4 star retreat. I hope to see you back & my email is on the website.

Jeff Peddle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holyrood
82.8 km away
28.8 km away
The Spaniard's Room
The Spaniard's Room
#1 of 2 in Spaniard's Bay

Been to The Wilds at Salmonier River Hotel Rooms & Suites? Share your experiences!