“Short detour on our way back from Victoria”
Review of Village Chippery

Village Chippery
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed 25 July 2017

It's a small place, not a great atmosphere as it sits next to a road that the local appears to think its a race track, so the constant throaty roar of cars up and down the road did little for the meal. We did a detour as there was a write-up in the local magazine that suggests that this was the best fish and chips on the Island, I beg to differ. My wife is not really a "fish and chip" person although she felt that as the write-up suggested she would try, it is a tasty battered cod but the portions were not that large, but this was lunch and the price $14 was Okay. The chips on the other hand were nothing special and given a name like the Chippery I guess I was expecting something a little better, alas it wasn't. There are lots of options to eat out on Vancouver Island and I would suggest that the other Bay close by Cowichan offers more variety and a better fish and chips. We had to try them and the service was really quite good but they are definitely NOT the best fish and chips on the Island.

Patty O, Owner at Village Chippery, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

Thank you for your comments. I would like to address them for you. Unfortunately there are times when the cars can be a bit of distraction but many of the local folks are pretty considerate as there are children in the neighbourhood.
It is only my opinion that perhaps if someone is not a fish and chip person another option might have been selected. I know for myself that even if a place has a great item and reviews, if it is something that I am not fond of to start with, I would not be inclined to order it. The fries, on the other hand, usually meet with great reviews as we hand chip and double cook them. Throughout the year the kennebec potatoes can be sweeter some months than others, like most fruit and vegetables. This time of the year although they are still very good they are not as sweet tasting as during the rest of the year. A two piece meal of fish and chips is usually plenty for one person. I am sorry to hear it was not large enough for a single appetite. I regret that the server, who you felt was really quite good, did not pick up on your dissatisfaction as it perhaps could have been taken care of at the time. Once again, I thank you for your input. It is something we can learn from. In the future, I will advise the servers to let people that sitting by the road can be noisy if there is loud traffic, that a large order is usually enough for most of our customers, but perhaps if they are big eaters they might like another piece of fish (or dessert).

Reviewed 21 July 2017

My wife and I stopped in here for lunch in July and what a nice surprise. We didn't expect this little chip shop to have anything gluten free but were we ever wrong. They made an excellent gluten free burger that my wife loved. Oh, they also make great milkshakes!!

Patty O, Owner at Village Chippery, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2017

Thank you so much for your review. We have lots of gluten free options and are getting more vegetarian and vegan options as well. Hard to please everyone but we sure try!! Glad you enjoyed your visit and the milkshake too. Thanks again.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

We stumbled upon the chippery while driving around site seeing and thought we'd give it a try. It is a very cute little British themed restaurant. The waitress was very cheerful and attentive. The fish and chips were very tasty and the portions generous. We liked out meals so much we went back again and ordered two of their burgers. to take out. They were both very good.

Patty O, Owner at Village Chippery, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2017

Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed the food and service. It makes us feel so good when we please our guests doing what we love to do! Hope to see you on your next site seeing trip.

Reviewed 9 June 2017

Great burgers, great fries, you won't leave hungry! I am not so fond of anything with batter on it as I find the batter fairly tasteless.

Patty O, Owner at Village Chippery, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2017

Thank you for your review. We like to have a gentle tasting batter so as not to overpower the flavour of the fish. We observed that with most people, they seem to like to squeeze the fresh wedge of lemon on their fish, or use malt vinegar or tartar sauce on their battered fish. We also use very little salt as people tend to put salt and pepper on with out first sampling. Hope to see you both again soon! Thanks again for coming in.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

The food is ok but small portions, when they first opened the portions were quite a bit larger and presented better. if in a pinch for something to eat it will fit the bill

Patty O, Owner at Village Chippery, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2017

Hello - I noticed your visit was in October and review was in May. Although it was seven months ago I appreciate your taking the time to give a review. We certainly try to be consistent in our size and quality since we opened in 2009. I would have liked to know at the time so we could have corrected it then. However, if you would like to contact me I would like to offer a replacement and I would be happy to talk to you and find out more regarding the presentation - we have always placed the fish over the fries along with tartar and ketchup and garnish with a lemon wedge. Hope to hear from you soon and thanks again for your input.