Sandman Inn Blue River
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Blue River Motel(Blue River)
Ace Western Motel(Clearwater)
Clearwater Lodge(Clearwater)
Wells Gray Inn(Clearwater)
Jasper Way Inn(Clearwater)
View Hotel
All reviewsattached restaurantstopover pointevening meal and breakfastfridge and microwavean overnight stayen routeone night stayvancouverhighwayvanityredonecarpetlinens
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Have travelled globally for 25 years and this was one of the worst western hotels I have ever stayed in. It was overpriced, dirty, uncomfortable, lousy amenities and rude staff/management to boot. How this place can actually be in the Sandman hotel chain is beyond me - I am that that disgusted, i will NEVER stay at a Sandman Hotel in Canada!
We stayed in what was supposed to be a renovated room, what a joke, I have stayed in cleaner and better finished rooms in remote parts of Asia and Africa.
If you can;t get a room at the only other hotel in town, definately keep going and stay at Clearwater or Valemont.
WHAT A DUMP!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank olbear1962
KevinSandman, Regional Director at Sandman Inn Blue River, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2010

As Regional Director for Sandman Hotel Group we value all feedback from our guests and take guest concerns very seriously. At the time of this review we were right in the middle of our major renovations and I apologize if we did not meet this guests expectations and have emailed guest to discuss. Blue River Sandman is currently being completey renovated with new windows, roof, flooring, flat screen TV's, top of the line Satellite Internet, upgraded beds and linens, new artwork and many other renovations and upgraded ammenities. We will also be adding Business Center and Dry Room for snowmobilers as well very soon. Our new on site management couple Gerrit and Martha would be proud to welcome you to the Sandman Inn Blue River.

Yours in Hospitality... Kevin White

Reviewed 9 October 2009

I stayed at the Blue River Sandman in September. It is right on the highway. There is not much in Blue River except a gas station but the area is very beautiful. This is more of a motel style building but when you get in the rooms they are quite nice, and very similar to any Sandman I have been to. The staff are nice and make you feel at home. It looks to me like this is the best game in this little town.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We stayed at this hotel because it was getting late and we wanted to get off the road. It was a Sandman so we figured it would be alright. Wrong! Our credit card was charged right away and the agent tossed our key to us. Thanks.

Walking into the room, we noticed a long orange cord connecting to the TV. We could have easily tripped on it but somehow we stayed safe. Went to use the washroom but the light didn't work. We had to put a lamp on the counter and use that for light. Again, not a good situation. There was hair in the bathtub too. The decor was painfully dated and we couldn't wait to get out of there in the morning. Luckily, we had to hit the road early.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2007

We booked this hotel somewhat arbitrarily, since it was the only chain hotel in Blue River, which we knew we would be passing through.

The outside of the hotel looked a little rough, and the reception area was rather dingy. I am used to providing my credit card for a pre-auth, but the lady at the front desk actually charged my card in advance, before we saw the room. I was a little concerned at that point.

We pulled up to our private door, and had a look at the room. We were not impressed. Everything was quite old, including the TV, wallpaper, curtains, light fixtures, and the bathroom tile.

The weatherstripping on the door was damaged or missing in a few spots, and a few winged beetles of some sort had moved in. We found one in the bed sheets, and a couple more on the walls. Obviously this happened before, since I also found the remains of a few others, smashed into the wallpaper.

The bathroom counter was permanently stained. The bathtub itself was OK, but the shower head was mounted at about four and a half feet, so even my 5'3" significant other had to bend down to wash her hair. We both got water up our noses from having to do that.

I was uncomfortable enough that I left my shoes and jacket on for the first couple of hours.

We had been driving all day, and just wanted to get some rest. After a careful inspection for more bugs, we decided to just tough it out, rather than fight for a refund. It was by far not our most comfortable stay.

My opinion... I would not recommend the Blue River Sandman Inn. There are other hotels in Blue River. One of them is probably better.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank wayward_coyote
Reviewed 2 January 2007

We stayed at the Sandman, which is halfway between Vancouver and our hometown, to break up the long drive. I figured since it was a chain hotel, it would be alright. Well, it wasn't.

First off, when we where checking in, the front desk clerk flat out accused me of not mentioning that we had a small dog when I reserved. (She could see our vehicle from the desk, and, our dog.) I had mentioned this when reserving, and, told the clerk that. She still made me feel like it was my fault and now she had to go through the trouble of moving our room to accomodate the dog, because they only put dogs in certain rooms.

She did give us a discount, for some unknown reason. We paid $79 instead of $102. That was nice.

As soon as we walked in the room, I thought it was really old and could use a full renovation. I still wasn't convinved that it was a terrible place though - we were just happy to be off the road!

I started to unpack a bit and noticed that both of the garbage cans weren't emptied. I could see missing one during cleaning, but, two led me to believe that this room hadn't been cleaned at all. I noticed a few hairs in the bathtub, as well. Gross.

We went and ate dinner in the hotel restaurant as well. The waitress was openly annoyed with some of the customers, which I found kind of amusing, and there was a man doing some woodworking on the bar, with power tools, which added to the ambiance. I thought it was odd that they allowed that on a Friday night, with a packed restaurant, but I guess they do things different in Blue River!

The most disturbing part of the room though...

I went to put some bottled water in the fridge and saw something sticking out from under the appliance. I used my toe to pull it out and, low and behold, it was the April 2006 edition of Penthouse magazine! At this point, I was completely grossed out.

We slept for a few hours, using blankets from our vehicle and got the heck out of there without showering, very early in the morning.

The bad news is that you're in Blue River. There's no where else to go unless you want to drive a couple hours. The other hotel in town was full - apparently everyone knew how bad the Sandman was but me!

Try to stay in Valemount, or, perhaps somewhere like Clearwater, instead of the Sandman in Blue River...

Stayed: December 2006