We stayed in this hotel twice as part of a trip through Sri Lanka. Fist stay was a deluxe bungalow with sea view, the second one a standard sea view bungalow. Difference between both is 25 euro and a newer bathroom, not worth the upgrade. The area is well maintained by the gardeners and their stops the positive note about this place.
The service by the reception isn't client friendly at all. They made multiple errors during invoicing at the end of both stays; you really need to ask the signed sheets. We also saw this problem with other clients.
One night our son became sick and had a little accident in the bed, we tried to phone housekeeping but no answering, finally phoned reception and they told us they couldn't help us and answered that housekeeping only started at 6AM. They were just not able to bring some sheets and blankets!
The restaurant serves mostly the same, one evening nearly only local stuff, hot like hell and not made for our stomach.
But the most intriguing was a huge rat, about 50 cm big, never seen this huge, running in the restaurant and underneath the buffet tables, some clients were completely frightened to continue eating. We also saw the common brown rat on multiple occasions on the premises and near the kitchen meaning they really have a rodent problem. Other problem in the restaurant is the unfriendly staff; they chase you out in the morning when you enjoy your coffee.
On arrival some clients receive a welcome drink and refreshing napkin, we arrived twice, never seen the drink. Don't know why but again not really client friendly.
You also can freely hire a canoe to go on the river, but this is depending the reception manager on duty, sometimes possible until 4PM, sometimes until 5PM, they always have a good explanation. Don't do an effort to discuss with them.
On Sundays, a lot of locals come over to the hotel, a lot of noise at the bar and a swimming pool filled with people. At the end of the day, the water had a milky color, far from clean. The swimming pool and cleaning system needed 2 days for having cleaner water.
And last: Anthony, the guy with his shop in front of the hotel entrance, really annoying. Go else and you will have much better at lower prices, he is a real rip-off. Also for drinks and bottles, go 100 or 200 meter to the left, these tiny shops are much cheaper and offering the same.
TIP to visit: 200 meters from the hotel you will find some roof tile factories (look for the high chimneys), go and have a visit, don't be afraid to enter the premises, they are extremely friendly and show the whole process with heart and soul: the making, the old equipment, the drying and baking in the oven. It is extremely hard work and these people deserve a royal tip after your visit!
I won't recommend this hotel, mainly due to the uncooperative/unfriendly staff and the rodent problem. The place could be great but isn't.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ranweli Holiday Village is an eco-friendly resort located on a 22-acre peninsula where mangrove forests and winding rivers converge to meet the sea. Located only 18 kms from Colombo's International Airport, Ranweli is the perfect base to explore the fascinating history, culture and nature of Sri Lanka. The hotel is on Waikkal Beach & provides bungalows & rooms with a private bathroom. The resort has an outdoor pool and its own restaurant & bar. Each bungalow / room is air-conditioned, has a safe, sitting area and telephone. The attached bathroom includes a hot/cold shower. Guests can enjoy a beach volleyball, billiards or table tennis at Ranweli. Water activities such as paddle boating, canoeing and kayaking are available. Ranweli is able to organize boat rides and bird watching tours. You can experience multi-cuisine dishes at the buffets of the resort's restaurant & a variety of liquor is served at the pool bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Wotif.com, Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Agoda, lastminute.com.au, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Ranweli Holiday Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ranweli Holiday Village Waikkal
- Ranweli Holiday Village Hotel Waikkal
- Ranweli Holiday Village Sri Lanka/Waikkal