Would have had a 5 but for the cost charged for phone use . The hotel phone charged for the time they look at the time on their computer when you first start to use the phone, not when they pick up at the other end, up to the time that you leave, not the minutes actually spent on the telephone but also for the time between calls waiting for reception having a minute to dial the number for you whilst seeing to other guests. £37 for me to cancel 4 credit cards lost, they did reduce this for me though, to what it should have been in the first place around about.
The staff are generally wonderful and very attentive, the hotel appears to take note of any complaints and tries to remedy them quickly. A slick waiter on the snack bar though did try to charge me for two meals when we had ordered only one, so beware of what you are signing for as all bills are paid at the end of the holiday, the waiter had mistakenly brought us two meals and l suppose tried to cover it up as l think management there is so vigilant that he didn't want to lose face..he lost it with us instead though...
Just as a tip, do not buy the so called chicken sandwich, it is basically onion in two slices of white stale bread, no chicken there at all...the wrap however is much to be recommended as are the main meals from the main menu.
Another thing, choose the accommodation near the sandy beach which is further from the path, our holiday was pretty much ruined by constantly being pestered by Antony , the hotel are aware but are unable to stop him walking on the beach and path behind the hotel, l didn't want to seem rude and ignore him as l wanted to book his trips as they are 50 % cheaper than the reps and there was nowhere else to go for trips, but it's very off putting to see him looking into your bungalow window from the path, and despite promises that we would visit his shop he would not leave us alone.
This hotel itself despite all this is wonderful, they try their very best to make their guests happy, it is obvious that staff here work very hard. We loved the food, there were lots of choices for us and we were never made to feel that we couldn't go back for more.
There were fresh flowers on our bed every day, and our rides in the kayak bird spotting made my holiday, despite getting very wet. It is easy to forget that this is a budget hotel, remember what you paid and be happy.
Tuc Tucs outside the hotel wait to take you to Waikkal, Negumbo, or a nearby town with a market, it is 300 rupees to Waikkal train station, from there are trains to Negumbo and Colombo, the train tickets are very cheap, 25p or 49 rupees to Colombo, be safe, there are con men in Negumbo happy to pretend to be your friend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ranweli Holiday Village is an eco-friendly resort located on a 22-acre peninsula where mangrove forests and winding rivers converge to meet the sea. Located only 18 kms from Colombo's International Airport, Ranweli is the perfect base to explore the fascinating history, culture and nature of Sri Lanka. The hotel is on Waikkal Beach & provides bungalows & rooms with a private bathroom. The resort has an outdoor pool and its own restaurant & bar. Each bungalow / room is air-conditioned, has a safe, sitting area and telephone. The attached bathroom includes a hot/cold shower. Guests can enjoy a beach volleyball, billiards or table tennis at Ranweli. Water activities such as paddle boating, canoeing and kayaking are available. Ranweli is able to organize boat rides and bird watching tours. You can experience multi-cuisine dishes at the buffets of the resort's restaurant & a variety of liquor is served at the pool bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, HotelQuickly, Booking.com, Agoda, lastminute.com.au, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Ranweli Holiday Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ranweli Holiday Village Waikkal
- Ranweli Holiday Village Hotel Waikkal
- Ranweli Holiday Village Sri Lanka/Waikkal