3,102 results
All reviews private beach colonial hotel seafood cove mount lavinia sri lanka governor's restaurant pool terrace direct ocean view room indian ocean high tea lobby manager seafood restaurant old world charm overlooking the sea main restaurant colonial style colonial feel
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had a conference at Colombo and we were put up at this hotel. The first thing that everyone will notice, is the location. Almost all the rooms open up to the amazing majestic view of the Ocean. The sound of the waves is like the best background music.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. This hotel is about 200 years old so has a lot of history to it. There are stories of it being haunted although no one during my stay had any experience.

Food at the restaurant (during breakfast) excellent spread. The Hoppers (variety of them) along with different kind of chutneys are just yum.

Overall had an amazing experience.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
MLHGroup, Public Relations Manager at Mount Lavinia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Valued Guest
We are delighted to read your review, thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent feedback. It is the biggest reward for all our efforts towards creating memories for our guests. We appreciate your generous compliments on our friendly staff, food, rooms and amazing views. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights and enjoyed my stay very much.

It’s an old colonial building which retains its charm. My room was good with a stunning view of the ocean.

Staff are excellent.

Seafood cove restaurant is very good and you can enjoy fresh fish whilst your toes and in the sand. The ocean just metres away. Lovely ambience.

A little out of Colombo on the beach but it was nice to be away from the bustle of the city.

Overall, a good stay and I’d recommend this hotel if you’re visiting Sri Lanka.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest
We are delighted to read your review, thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent feedback. It is the biggest reward for all our efforts towards creating memories for our guests. We appreciate your generous compliments on our friendly staff, Seafood Cove restaurant, colonial ambience and amazing views. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed three nights here before returning to U.K. After a tour of Sri Lanka. Really good hotel. Good rooms, staff and food. Pool and location lovely. They need to smarten up check in and checkout process. We arrived with clear booking information and were made to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome until they sorted our booking out. Just less professional than I would expect from an otherwise perfect stay.

Stayed: September 2018

Dear Valued Guest
We are delighted to read your review, thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent feedback. It is the biggest reward for all our efforts towards creating memories for our guests. We appreciate your generous compliments on our friendly staff, food, rooms, pool and iconic location. Please accept our sincere apologies on the setback due to the check in and check out process, kindly consider this incident as a one off case and not a reflection of the usual standards that we at Mount Lavinia Hotel follow or aspire to deliver to our most valued guests! Nevertheless, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our request of hotel staff to make a memorable evening for my wife and me, celebrating our 40th anniversary with friends and relatives, was delivered in spades. A wonderful evening was had by all, with an excellent array of seafood, musicians to serenade us, and a balmy evening on the seashore. The attention to detail by Royston, the Assistant Food and Banquet Manager was first class. Thank you for all your efforts. We truly appreciated it.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest
We are delighted to read your review, thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent feedback. It is the biggest reward for all our efforts towards creating memories for our guests. We appreciate your generous compliments on our Seafood Cove restaurant, friendly staff, food, pool and service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What can I say? We chose this hotel for its history and the love story behind it. We travelled as a couple and one child and stayed for two nights. We all sort of regretted the choice of this so called luxury hotel.
As soon as we entered the hotel in our small taxi, no one even bothered to come and get our bags from our taxi, until I asked what was going on to a person standing there trying to ignore us. Upon questioning he called someone to carry our bags into the lobby. The guy at the reception was very polite and booked us in. However, we were not even provided with a welcome drink. While booking us in, another western couple arrived and they were immediately welcomed with a drink. Shameful behaviour if you are open to ALL persuasion of guests.
We were taken into our room which was reasonably clean but very dated. The bathroom was very old and dated and felt very claustrophobic. I don't think they can carry on business with dated rooms as the competition for new hotels in Sri Lanka is very vast.
In our particular room, the shower was not working so I had to call reception to get that sorted. Eventually, someone came and repaired the shower. Was not very pleased as one expects all things to work when booking into a hotel.
The coffee, tea tray had horrible stains on them so did not even touch anything from there. Also noticed some red spots/stains on the bed sheet, what they were I was unsure of.
The first night of the buffet and my wife went to the Sri Lankan section to get some food. A lot of the food had run out. When my wife questioned someone regards to this, she was told that as the hotel had some offer a lot of people had booked in and so the food had run out. However, after finishing our meal and as we headed out we saw that the whole of that section was restocked again. So either a lazy staff member misinformed my wife or some serious re-training required for staff.
Don't get me wrong. Some staff were very good and polite and some staff were quite selective with who to be friendly with. Again maybe re-training required.
The swimming pool is quite small and right outside the dining area, so if you require privacy whilst swimming then forget it.
The only positive I have about this hotel is the views. The view from our room had breathtaking views of the ocean (guess that compensated for the dated room and even older bathroom). The view from the outside of the dining area again were breathtaking.
Outside near the pool area, they would put "reserved" tags on the table. Mostly all tables were reserved. However, I noticed guests coming and if the staff "liked you" they would remove the reserved tag and let you sit at that table. I noticed this a lot and thought it was a shameful practice. Again staff training to be considered.

On the whole, not a great experience for me or my family and I would not recommend this hotel to my near and dear ones nor would I book this hotel again. However, if you are only going for the views and the story behind the hotel then maybe you can consider this tired and dated hotel.

( I have uploaded a picture of the stain on the sheets, however, cannot upload a picture of the filthy tray due to issues with Tripadvisor uploader)

Room Tip: Check out the rooms before accepting the one given to you.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the hotel. We value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. It is with much regret that we read of this unsatisfactory experience of yours with our reception service, bathroom shower, stained coffee/tea trays, stained bed sheet and the misinformation at the buffet. Please accept our sincere apologies.
Kindly get back to us via imasha.d@mountlaviniahotel.com so further investigation can be carried out pertaining your complaints and criticism.

We believe that it is only by accepting and working on constructive feedback from our guests, that we can achieve the highest levels of service that we aspire towards. While we truly value your patronage, may I request you to kindly consider this incident as a one off case and not a reflection of the usual standards that we at Mount Lavinia Hotel follow or aspire to deliver to our most valued guests! Once again, please accept our sincere apologies and we hope to serve you better for your next visit to the hotel.