“Neat little spot”

National Buffalo Museum
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Jamestown
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My classmates and I were coming back from a history project out near Dickinson, and we stopped in Jamestown at the National Buffalo Museum. I had been here before, but only to the Pioneer Village. Much to my disappointment, the village was closed (but as most museums go, it was past Labor Day, and the Buffalo Museum is open year-round as it’s inside). When you're there in the summertime, the buildings are really cute to take a peek in, that main hall looks like it would be pretty neat to have weddings or something. The museum is nicely laid-out, and though I thought much of it would be about the importance of the buffalo to Native American groups, there was also a section on the importance of the buffalo to white settlers and hunters.
At first, the museum takes you on a tour of ancient prehistoric America, and the relationship of the buffalo and Plains Indians. One item on display I thought was really neat was a giant skull of an ancient buffalo over 10,000 years old—and it seemed at least twice as big as a buffalo skull would be today!
I had also never seen a coat made of buffalo hides, which was on display. I had seen it before in pictures, but it occurred to me as I was standing there I had never seen one in person. It didn’t look very comfortable to wear, however the fur was about 100 years old, my guess is it had become severely deteriorated.
I was impressed by the layout and information in the museum. It looked up to date, and the information provided gave me insight into the importance of the buffalo to all the people who have inhabited the Great Plains over the course of history.
And HA, don't miss going out to see the huge buffalo in the back--fun!
Recommended stay for buffalo museum is an hour. Pioneer village, probably another hour or two.

All reviews
"interesting facts"
"worthwhile visit"
"ghost town"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend a visit"
"once in a lifetime"
"self guided tour"
"western history"
"well worth the stop"
"took pictures"
"walk up"

Reviewed 14 September 2011

My husband and I stopped here on our way to Minot AFB to take a break from driving. We paid $5 admission to the museum and it had a LOT of information and displays! There is an outside viewing deck of the white buffalo named White Cloud as well as a nice view of the Buffalo Statue. To see the other buffalo, go to the fence line to the right of the musuem in front. They had a nice gift shop, slightly expensive though. Make sure to get your picture taken with the buffalo before you leave, that thing is HUGE!!!!

Reviewed 17 August 2011

We enjoyed this small non profit museum. We learned lots about the history of bison and the Great Plains. There is a nice gift shop and also a viewing area to see the Bison. The museum is near the Frontier Village Complex. Last but not least, get a picture of the giant bison before you leave. The admission was $5.00 for adult - less for seniors. It is a nice stop, to get a break if you are on a long road trip.

1  Thank limey52
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We were told about this place by a nice local couple we met while eating breakfast. We are fascinated with the history of the bison and the history of the western U.S. We spent a couple of hours in this museum and enjoyed it immensely. It is well worth a small admission fee if your family is interested in bison and Native American history. The staff is warm and friendly. The only issue we encountered was a family with young children and very loud, rude parents came barging through the quiet museum and loudly made their presence known. Fortunately for us, they were not really interested in learning anything and left within a few minutes of their arrival. It is unfortunate when parents are too ignorant to stick with age appropriate activities and infringe on others' enjoyment with their lack of manners. Their kids would have been much happier and welcome at the playground around the corner.