“Not Your Grandparent's Diner”

Mary's Gourmet Diner
Ranked #39 of 710 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 24 March 2017

I wanted to take my son Tom for breakfast and usually we go to a bagel store but today he suggested Mary's Gourmet Diner. I like to try places that I haven't been to so this was a great chance for me, even though he has been there several times before. The outside is very unassuming but as soon as we entered, we were greeted by a waitress with an old fashioned apron on. She was very welcoming and pleasant as she sat us among the many folks enjoying breakfast. Kevin, our waiter gave us a few minutes to look over the menu before coming to take our order. He was very attentive, very personable and helpful, offering to explain the menu or to answer any questions that we might have. From what I could tell about the staff there, they all seemed very happy and super nice! Tom ordered the Breakfast Nachos which was multigrain tortilla chips loaded with house made white cheese sauce, shredded cheddar cheese, scrambled eggs, black olives, red onion, tomatoes, avocado, salsa and sour cream minus the tomatoe for $12.00 along with water. There was so much on Tom's plate that he was unable to finish his meal.
I ordered the Griddle-Fried Corncakes made with organic maple syrup, two eggs any style, bacon or sausage and a side item. I had my eggs over easy, bacon and shredded hash brown $10.50 along with a cup of coffee $2.50.
Even though the prices may be up there for breakfast, it was well worth the money. All I have to say is quality, quality, quality and Thank God this isn't your Grandparent's Diner! A Must Go in Winston Salem!

Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

Saw a piece on UNC TV (North Carolina Weekend) about Mary's Gourmet Diner and knew it had been in news so we gave it a try. It is situated in the Arts District of Winston Salem so anything is possible.

First we noticed no parking. After circling block found a place. Checking in was an experience. Asked one person if we needed to sign in and was told only one person could do that. When that person showed up we got signed in.

We were seated and addressed promptly by staff. The choices are what you expect for breakfast though slightly more expensive.

At our table an order of gravy biscuits, a two egg scramble, cinnamon swirl French toast and a BLT were ordered. The scramble was "so so" and the gravy biscuit was "heavy" but the French toast looked good.

All in all it was okay. Noisy but good staff.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

Mary's has an excellent choice of breakfast options if you are gluten free. I had the perfectly cooked poached eggs on GF bread with the cheese sauce. Delicious! I was worried that the cheese sauce would be too heavy, but it was perfect. Nice that you can order a cup or pot of tea. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

We really enjoyed Mary's. The food was excellent and we loved the biscuits. They were so friendly and helpful to us which we appreciated since we had our 11 month old with us.

Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

I've been to Mary's several times before but this time I was bringing first timers with me. I had promised them they would be impressed and they were!

We arrived just at 10am on Sunday as they were opening and had a very short wait. If you go most days, plan to wait awhile. They do a great job of moving tables, but it's that popular and worth it!

We were greeted by our server who was just delightful. Knowledgable and friendly. We all ordered something different and we passed around bites around the table. I ordered the breakfast burrito and added bacon to it. It is so good! The eggs are cooked perfectly every time, fluffy and never runny. My daughter ordered the scramble and added tofu, avocado and cheese. She was ate it all! My husband ordered the grits with verde salsa and chorizo. It was cooked perfectly and I will be ordering that on our next visit. Our friend ordered the special omelette and it was so good. Her daughter ordered the french toast and gave it two thumbs up!

We all left completely stuffed and can't wait for our next trip!