“Very pleasant, tasty cuisine, friendly staff”
Review of Willows Bistro

Willows Bistro
Ranked #12 of 681 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 7 October 2017

Located in repurposed industrial/warehouse space, this restaurant was just what I was looking for - a place where I could sit quietly and read a book while dining leisurely on tasty cuisine. It was a soft, warm Carolina evening evening and I chose to eat outside; the staff seated me at a quiet table away from others and under an overhead light which was good enough to read by. The outdoor seating is on what appeared to be originally a long narrow loading area for freight. it was up several steps from the parking lot (perhaps the height of a freight car door), so while I was conscious of the parked cars, I was seated above them and looked out over them to other buildings and landscaped areas. It was also surprisingly quiet. I enjoyed a lovely goat cheese salad topped with a filet of salmon along with a generous glass of pinot noir and some freshly-toasted bread with whipped butter (you have to ask for the bread, as they prepare it order by order). The goat cheese was very mild and was encrusted with candied pecans that blended perfectly with the accompanying blueberries and strawberries. The balsamic vinaigrette dressing was just right, the salmon was tender, flaky, and delicious. Creme brulee for dessert with a cup of decaf provided a fitting end to the meal. There was never any pressure to finish up - all in all exceedingly pleasant. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

My g.f. and I had dinner on a Thursday night. Fortunately I had made a reservation as I discovered how popular this restaurant is during our visit. We chose it due to the close proximity to our hotel and reviews on TripAdvisor. It is a little pricey but the food and service are excellent. It is a relaxed atmosphere and the surroundings are very quaint. My g.f. asked our waiter if the chef would modify a certain dish to eliminate some things she did not care for. Our waiter was more than glad to go ask the chef who was able to accommodate her request. I had a filet mignon special and she had the sheepshead (fish) special. Both dishes were excellent.

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

Willows is just consistently great! We have frequented this place for ~5 years have only one mild caution and that is the noise level on Friday/Saturday nights.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

We came on a relaxed Saturday, attracted by the locavore style and the positive reviews. Couldn't handle the noise inside, but we were seated outside easily on the old railroad-car loading platform.
From the menu, she picked a chicken and pear salad and was very happy with it.
I chose blackened NC catfish, served with black-eyed peas and rice, a little bit of greens, pan sauce -- and little disks of hard salami. What? Yes - and it worked very nicely! The saltiness and firm texture of the salami contrasted / complemented the catfish. Interesting!

Reviewed 14 September 2017

I don't know how they lured the chef who creates interesting flavors, textures and combinations, but they ought not let him go. I have heard his sous chefs have followed him here.
One of the best things about Willow, with all the one way streets and contraction reroutings that are part of the every updating city, is that it has its own parking lot. You feel the historic vibe, as it was an old train station at one time. Outdoor is the best choice from dining because the indoor acoustics forces you to yell and perhaps overhear the conversations of others. Aficionados of burgers will not be disappointed, and everything is presented with a surprise. The chocolate cake and cheese cakes are wonderful, (this from a seasoned baker) and I liked their selection of reds. Wait staff is attentive without being over solicitous. Also, ask them any question, even about preparation, and they will find out if they do not know. You can taste the sourcing of all they cook.