“Fantastic Food and an Entertaining Dining Experience”
Review of SoCo Farm and Food

SoCo Farm and Food
Ranked #10 of 163 Restaurants in Wilson
Price range: USD 50 - USD 50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: SoCo Farm and Food offers adventurous updates on comforting classic dishes as well as bed and breakfast lodging on a working, Wilson NC horse farm. Dinner by Reservation only.
Reviewed 24 April 2016

This restaurant has zero in decorative frills, they let the food be the decor. It was a joy watching through the glass door the Chef prepare his masterpiece. The food presentation was spectacular. Each plate is worthy of a cover photo, but the real art was in the eating. If you really dear to entertain your palate, this is Disneyland for your tongue. Coco is in the middle of nowhere so make sure your GPS is updated and working, then enjoy the time of your eating life.

Reviewed 2 March 2016 via mobile

We had the pleasure of the SoCo Farm dining experience the first Friday in February; it was a unique and inspiring culinary journey! The rustic yet sophisticated ambiance of the main dining room was inviting and reinforced the restaurant's overall concept of farm to table. Kimberly was so hospitable in our greeting and enthusiastic of the wine offerings we gladly decided to include the wine pairings with our meal. From the first glass of sparkling to the last port all wines she selected accentuated the flavor of the dishes and exposed us to new varietals which was interesting to learn about as Kimberly introduced them. Chef Jeremy is a talented individual; his passion for showcasing locally sourced ingredients in an elevated and inventive manner is evident in the flavors. My husband and I ordered different items for each course so we could try everything--everything was so delicious we could not pick a favorite dish each course! We will definitely return very soon and are anxiously awaiting the next menu!

1  Thank SandJrussell1111
Reviewed 24 February 2016

This restaurant makes me wonder if I'm really in Eastern NC. The food and menu is extremely inventive, and usually excellent. Every now and then I don't care for a particular dish, but considering I've been over a dozen times that's bound to happen. The wine pairings are always on point. It's really an amazing dining experience with fresh, inventive, delicious food and amazing wine pairings. Great for groups, or date night. We've also done the chef's table with a large party and it's a lot of fun! Definitely recommend this restaurant, you must try it!

1  Thank andiegav123
Reviewed 30 December 2015

I am not a chef, but I imagine that this is where chefs go to be impressed. My wife and I went here for our 7th anniversary, even though it was an hour and a half away, as it was meant to be special: it did not disappoint and was well worth the drive! The owners of this farm--one who cooks and one who serves--essentially open up their beautiful farm to share the most delicious culinary creations with their guests. I can also tell that they are living their dream and are passionate about what they are doing, which is inspiring and evident in every detail. The service is kept intimate and personal as a result of them capping guests at (I estimate) 15 at a time in reservation cycles. Most of the vegetables come from their garden or somewhere very close. The wine pairings are executed so thoughtfully and deliberately that even I think I will try it next time after my wife had such a good experience (I'm mostly a beer drinker, and was more than happy with the selection of craft beers on hand). There are so many unique atmospheric aspects of this establishment that I want to leave them as a surprise to anyone considering eating here. Plan for about two hours, as this is more than just ordering a meal; it is a dining experience that is almost tantric and satisfying at a visceral level.

1  Thank Joel C
Reviewed 28 December 2015

Ate at SoCo with great anticipation. Family of foodies looked forward to the farm to table approach. Had heard to expect "rustic" environs and was pleased yet still a bit surprised at how rustic. It seems that by now the proprietors may have stepped it up a notch to "finish" the dining barn while maintaining the atmosphere of "being on the farm." Loved the look of the bar area, and rough hewn tables. The rustic atmosphere, though a bit rough, does not detract from the experience, but may not enhance it as much as it possibly could.
Staff was great and warm, greeting us by name and remembering that one of our party was gluten free. We were pleased to learn that since everything was made from scratch, that she had lots of options. The service was excellent, never rushed and attentive without trying to create a show.
The menu had changed since being published on the website as the menu of the month. The much anticipated New York Strip had been substituted for a rib eye. An issue for some in our party who don't like to work around fat in their meats, but a nice cut indeed.
My wife asked if the salad dressing had mayonnaise, as she never eats mayo. The waitress said "I don't know but I'll ask" only to bring out the salads and let her know that the dressing did contain mayo. The dressing was not on the side, rather had been already poured over the starter. I would have expected at least an affirmation of the contents with options as mentioned above or that the dressing was on the side, leaving the diner a choice. In the end the salad was very good, yet she had to work around the mayo.
The entree choices of rib eye and scallops made our decision a bit challenging. When the rib eyes arrived they were cooked on the rare side of medium rare. I mentioned to the waitress that I was surprised at how rare the beef was prepared without presenting diners an option. She advised that the "chef knows best how to prepare grass fed beef." I guess we should have asked at ordering or expected that they would have advised that the chef recommends a more rare temperature unless we preferred otherwise.
Dessert was wonderful with a dark chocolate pot de creme chosen by all in our party, yet the seasonal cake sounded interesting.
Overall, we enjoyed our meal and experience, though I can't say that this meal would fall in my top 5 destinations for fine food in eastern NC. At the given price point I guess I would expect more attention to customer preferences. However, when I read the staff responses to some of the critical reviews, it appears that in this instance the Chef knows best and the customer is expected to adjust.

Been to SoCo Farm and Food? Share your experiences!