New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Hotel Riverwalk
Ranked #4 of 16 Wilmington B&B and Inns
“First B & B stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I purchased the living social deal because I figured that the #1 ranked B & B doesn't come up everyday. Anyway this was my first B & B and I now know why it is ranked number 1. Mr Michael was extremely helpful and if you want to know the best places to eat during you stay he knows them all! (if you like Turkish food you have to try Black Sea Grill, ask Michael but it is only a block over)

The room was clean and offered everything we needed. The location and the innkeeper we keep us coming back. I fully recommend The Clarendon Inn (even after leaving all our hanging clothes at the inn, Mr Michael has been nothing but helpful in trying to get those back to us).

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Nwmorgan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

This was the first time I had stayed in the historic district of Wilmington. Living Social had a great deal to stay at The Clarendon Inn that I couldn't pass up, especially after reading the reviews here. The location was perfect, which allowed us to pretty much park the car and walk to wherever we wanted. Our host Mike was very friendly and engaging, helping us out with excellent restaurant recommendations and other tidbits that made our visit truly special. Our room (#5, the music room), was very private, comfortable, and beautifully decorated. The Gilchrist & Soames amenities in the bathroom were a definite plus. Our room had an ironing board, hair dryer, and coffee pot as well.

A few other things worth noting: the building is secure, with key fob entrances after normal business hours.The parking in the rear is private and for guests only. There was coffee, tea, and fruit available in the lobby at all times (self-serve), and umbrellas in case of inclement weather. And the front porch was charming. If the weather was a little warmer we would have spent some quality time just sitting on one of the porch swings.

Other reviews mentioned the lack of the "traditional" breakfast you may expect to find at other B&B's, but what was offered suited us just fine. The were plenty of fresh biscuits, vegetarian sausage patties, hard-boiled eggs, yogurts, fruits, and cereals to satisfy us. We didn't take advantage of this, but you can also pre-order your food and have it delivered to your room if you choose. But if you go to the breakfast area to eat you get the added bonus of visiting with Mike, which we looked forward to each morning. If you're lucky, he may have his adorable little dog D.J. with him. You can't miss her - she'll be wearing a tiny little dress :)

In short, I would recommend this B&B to anyone that was considering staying in historic Wilmington. Location, comfort, and friendliness of the staff earned an excellent rating from me. Trust the #1 rating - they've earned it.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are unique and beautifully decorated, so it was hard to decide. We loved room #5. M...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Wake Forest, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I took my boyfriend this to the Clarendon for a quick Valentine's weekend getaway. I got a deal through Living Social for 2 nights, which included breakfast and a bottle of wine all for under $200! I have been to the Wilmington area a bunch but usually stay at the beach and then come downtown for a night. Staying downtown however was awesome. Here is a breakdown of my review:

Location - The Clarendon's location cannot be beat. It's a quick 5 minute walk to Market and Fronts where you have all the restaurants and bars at your fingertips. We literally didn't drive one single place.

Room/Parking/Inn - We stayed in room 6 which was a large room, with a king bed and private bath. It was extremely comfortable, clean, and charming. It also had a minifridge, microwave, coffee maker and other comfort items you can think of. The Inn has their own private parking off the back of the building and there is plenty of it. Like I said above, we left our car in the spot the entire time. Clarendon has many community areas - kitchenette with complimentary water, teas, fruit, etc, sitting room with couch and tv, and a business room which we didn't use at all but would be ideal for business travelers.

Breakfast - Breakfast would be the only area of improvement for this Inn. Although its listed here as a B&B, the bfast is really more continental. Although the choices are limited, everything was delicious. The only thing I would possible add would be bagels and cream cheese. While we were there they had hard boiled eggs, toast, cereal, yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, mini-muffins made by the inn keepers wife (YUM), and meatless sausage with biscuits. This latter was our favorite and you honestly couldn't tell it didn't have meat in it. They also have coffee, juices, water, etc. You are able to eat in one of the many common areas or load up a tray and bring it back to you room, which is what we did. If the weather was warmer one of the patios would have been a fantastic place to enjoy some morning coffee.

Overall Service - I have been to many B&B's and guess I have been lucky because every place I have gone has been really wonderful and Michael from the Clarendon was no different. He was extremely helpful and responsive when it came to booking the room and was able to make any recommendations if you needed any. His sunny disposition and welcoming spirit really makes the Clarendon a warm, special place to stay.

I would definitely recommend this place to family and friends and we will certainly be back to visit.

Room Tip: We enjoyed room 6 which was not on the street so it was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

We stayed at Clarendon Inn in Wilmington, NC on December 25 and 25 this past year (2011). We were very pleased with the accomodatons and the price as well as the friendliness of the staff and the excellent trip preparation emails we received from the Innkeeper to make our stay more enjoyable. We were concerned about the availability of places to eat since our stay was during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and we were concerned some places would not be open. The Innkeeper was very helpful in steering us toward places that would be open. Overall, it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Breck S
InnkeeperMichael, Manager at Hotel Riverwalk, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Thank you for your very kind review of the Clarendon Inn. It was our pleasure to share the Christmas holidays with you and your family.

We strive to give the very best customer service to all of our guest and it is nice to hear that we are doing a good job.

We look forward to having you visit us again very soon.

Michael
Innkeeper
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed there for a wedding. It is a nice place. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. The hotel is located within walking distance of many good bars and restaurants as well as the river walk in Wilmington.

We loved the outside patio on the street side. It is an nice area to sit and have a drink and watch people walk by or watch the film crews working down the street.

We found the inn keeper (I don't think he was the owner, not sure though) to be rather rude. At breakfast I asked him where I could put my dirty dishes and he very condescendingly told me I could put them right over there by the sign that says "dirty dishes". I heard him use that schtick on several others and I found it rude. Most of my dealings with him were similar in nature. It is a nice hotel but the staff is not really cut out for the service industry.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Hangry
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at the Clarendon Inn. I want to apologize for appearing to be condecending when asked where to put the dirty dishes. I simply was pointing you and others to the place designated for dirty dishes.

We strive to give the very best customer service and I believe if you read the other reviews here you will find almost every other review here comments about our customer service in a positive way.

Again I ask you to please accept our sincere apology for any misunderstanding.

Michael