Open today: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
WWII HISTORY

Reviewed yesterday
Jeff S
San Juan Capistrano
Immense in size and educational value

Reviewed 3 days ago
NCfamily77
Raleigh, North Carolina

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Wilmington
from USD 80.00
from USD 22.99
from USD 55.00
3,108 results
All reviews self guided tour during wwii below deck engine room steep stairs gun turrets great ship mess hall sleeping quarters greatest generation piece of history post office own pace north carolina crew members great history lesson three hours
Reviewed yesterday

The USS North Carolina, and it's sister ship, is a North Carolina class battle ship and very fast. Only the three Iowa class battleships are bigger

Reviewed 3 days ago

As part of our visit to Wilmington, this was a "must-do" for us. Wife and I, plus 6yo boy and 4yo girl visited on a blustery Sunday. We spent almost two hours there and could have stayed longer (especially if the facilities had been restored after the hurricane). You can visit roughly seven levels of the ship, four above the main deck, and three below, I believe. While many aspects have been replaced, modernized, or changed there is still a very good feel for how life was on the ship. A little more interactivity would be cool (sailors recorded and speaking about their experiences versus reading what they said, for example), and other than the actual climbing and walking, there isn't much for kids to do. We tried to follow the tour arrows but still didn't see everything. Not sure if they can do that differently. I was not aware of the cell phone app, but that could have been my lack of preparation. Would definitely go back and recommend for anyone in the area (except the littlest of kids or folks who cannot navigate the tricky stairs).

1  Thank NCfamily77
Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

My dad is a Navy veteran of War War II and is now 93 and still with us today. I love these ships due to him being in the service. This ship is so big and amazing. Going through the ship I could just see these wonderful brave men and women in the mess hall, the post office, in their bunks, Caption in his little bunk room. The rooms for the doctor and dentist was very heartwarming to just know there was actual people who sat in those chairs. My dad was a Master Machinist on a LSM. Totally different from this ship but I could still visualize him in the Machine Shop.The kitchen is fascinating on these ships. The bowls they used to mix things in are huge. There is a place for the guys and gals to put their trays when finished eating, a separate place to do dishes separate room for cooking supplies etc. When going through the ship you just wonder how they got through the small doors quickly. Going from level to level there is more like ladders than steps. Very steep. Several I couldn't go down. If anyone has a chance to tour an actual War Ship they should definitely do so. It will give you some kind of aspect as to how living conditions were for many service men and women. My dad was on a LSM that was hit by a bomb and sank. There were three out of 65 that did not survive. Touring any ship is very heartwarming. This one is tops.

Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

I attended a Veterans Rally for Dr. Kyle Horton who was running for US Congress on the Battleship. She had arranged that if we get there early we could also tour the ship. I arrived early so I could see some of the ship before the rally. I had not been on the ship for several years & I really enjoyed seeing some of it again. A "Coffer Dam" has been constructed around the ship so as to repair some hull damage from corrosion over the years. There is a walkway around the cofferdam so you can view the outside ship.

Reviewed 4 days ago

I took my uncle to visit Battleship North Carolina before he passed. He served on an aircraft carrier during WWII in the South Pacific and described how stifling it could be in quarters under deck. I also took friends from Europe that enjoyed the opportunity to experience a piece of history.

Reviewed 5 days ago

The USS North Carolina is not to miss if you have any interest in a WWII era battleship. The ship is easily accessible, with so many areas open for visitation. The information provided is detailed, enhanced by a cool cell-phone app to help guide and inform your visit. Little modified since it's service in WWII, this is a gem of a war museum.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

Had teens and a child. Passed the ship in route to Wilmington. Wanting something to do we decided to explore!! The battleship was very neat!! Cost was the average cost for a museum.
Lots of ladder type stairs to climb due to the different levels of the ship. It is also handicap accessible.
Go have fun!!

Reviewed 1 week ago

My colleague and friend Mark Sullivan was based on this ship during WWII. It's a real battleship that was saved by students who contributed their Milk Money and benefactors in town. It's not easy to navigate the steps but fun to do so for those who are agile. Not to worry, the ship has a pathway around the ship and they have a nice video for those who don't find it easy to get around. It's open everyday, including Christmas. And it's the base for July 4th fireworks and a play on board ship by Opera House every year.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The battleship is always a popular trip! We take all our visitors there. It’s a bit pricey but there’s sooooo much to see that’s it’s really worth it - a great experience. I’m no history buff be I always love reading the quotes from the actual guys who worked in each position - like the bakery - the scale of the bread production alone is amazing! Just don’t go in the heat of the summer because it’s very stuffy downstairs and up in the gun turrets. Also, don’t go if you don’t like steep staircases/a few ladders - the very young and the very old, get tired of all the steps. It’s all self guided, with clear signs so follow the route and don’t miss anything!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We have toured several battleships and it is always exciting. We spent 3,5 hours exploring 9 decks and I was surprised how spacious some areas were. The ship served from 1941-47 and had 2.300 crew. Admission is 14 $ for adults. Hurricane Michel destroyed the water pipes, so there are only chemical toilets in the parking lot.
A must- see for WW2 buffs!!!