“Amazing!”

Ranked #2 of 127 things to do in Wilmington
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: As you walk the decks of the NORTH CAROLINA, imagine yourself in the South Pacific during WWII searching the sky for enemy aircraft, anticipating what may happen next. Step aboard the most decorated US Battleship of WWII! Explore nine decks, crew's quarters, gun turrets, and much more. Discover where history comes alive. Located at the junctions of highways 17, 76, 74, 421 on the Cape Fear River across from historic downtown Wilmington. Open every day!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We went there (familiy of four) late afternoon,end of August, and we were maybe the last of the day to visit it. So we really enjoyed the ship all by ourselves and it was really a great visit. We suggest everyone in the area to go there.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,030)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"gift shop"
in 100 reviews

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We visited in October and found it was great to explore on our own with no crowds. The ship has great history lessons and it is interesting to walk through and see an actual battleship. My 6 year old daughter loved it! The ship is supposed to be haunted which only adds to the excitement of walking through it especially around Halloween! This was a great way to spend a cool day away from the beach and a close drive from the beaches of SC.

Reviewed 1 November 2012

The ship was a lot of fun, a great history lesson and experience for kids and adults alike. Just be careful, the ship is haunted!

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I love to go on the battleship! I love to explore on my own and I love to sit on the gun turrets. It is kind of pricey but as much as I had I can overlook that.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 October 2012

My (26 yr. old) daughter and I took a beautiful October afternoon to walk, climb and crawl around this historical ship. To think it's been retired from service since 1947?? and resting there in Wilmington since 1960's is hard to believe. Reading the many signs and displays at the different stations really gives you a sense of what these courageous sailors went through in those trying years of war. It was amazing to think of the 2300-2500 men went through.